Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean Introducing Cloud Firewalls with your Droplets for Free
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean Introducing Cloud Firewalls with your Droplets for Free

Received this email

We’re excited to announce the release of Cloud Firewalls.

Cloud Firewalls help secure your Droplets and are free to enable. You can define which ports are visible on your Droplets and control which resources can access them. All without having to install and configure more software.

It's designed to be easy to use with groups of resources, scales as you grow, and is perfect for production environments.

Cloud Firewalls are free for all Droplet customers.

To learn more about how to use Cloud Firewalls to secure your applications, be sure to read the announcement blog post. Click below for a product walk through.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/an-introduction-to-digitalocean-cloud-firewalls

Thanked by 1jar

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'm pretty excited about it. Being able to custom filter traffic before it reaches the server is a pretty good win :)

• @jarland said:
    I'm pretty excited about it. Being able to custom filter traffic before it reaches the server is a pretty good win :)

Cough bgp sessions cough

GenjiSwitchPls said: Cough bgp sessions cough

Need a tissue?

http://www.bleachbit.org/cloth-or-something

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@jarland said:

Huge plus for some people, surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Thanked by 2jar dwtbf
  • @jarland said:

Need a tissue?

http://www.bleachbit.org/cloth-or-something

Lost mine...

Mine took months to arrive due to a shortage, dammit :(

Thanked by 2jar dwtbf
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Does DO have any DDoS protection? Whats the policy?

edited June 2017

@MikePT said:

Knowing the kind of attacks people on LET tend to receive, we couldn't tank a lot of them. There is some protection provided, but I feel like it wouldn't meet the needs commonly expressed by users here. The policy beyond that is automated null route.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • FuslFusl Member

How does BGP help you filtering traffic before it reaches the server?

• XeiXei Member

I've heard of brief network blips at DO NY for the past week. Don't think anyone ever found a real cause. Does a node get null routed when there's a DoS? Can a neighbor use so many resources that a node overloads? I don't use DO actively but an acquaintance does and it was always rock solid til lately.

• Now let's just wait for Amazon to have Lightsail be compatible with VPC

• yomeroyomero Member

@Laxenade said:
    Now let's just wait for Amazon to have Lightsail be compatible with VPC

Well, it can communicate with your VPC instances. Which is good. Also they have a basic firewall too.

• nice, this firewall can reduce some line on vps it self.

edited June 2017

@Xei said:
    I've heard of brief network blips at DO NY for the past week. Don't think anyone ever found a real cause. Does a node get null routed when there's a DoS? Can a neighbor use so many resources that a node overloads? I don't use DO actively but an acquaintance does and it was always rock solid til lately.

For what it's worth I've not been seeing or hearing about anything like that. I have a lot of droplets in NYC2 and 3, no monitors going off. I'd have many questions for them such as what steps they've taken to troubleshoot thus far, whether they've properly isolated the cause as truly network or if it could be the application layer. Often I hear "down" because an application isn't responding, but no one has tried to ping/trace yet. Happy to expand on that and talk with them about it :)

Anytime resources are not 100% dedicated (down to NIC, switch, etc) there is a chance of a user causing problems for another user. That's why you want to halt potential abuse at signup and also have fast response to any issues caused. DDOS rarely hits the HV to impact neighbors as it gets detected / filtered / null routed by equipment closer to the edge of the network.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Reminds me I haven't enabled the (external) node firewall on one of my dediserves.

Why waste cpu cycles on an E5... :)

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • xaocxaoc Member

I think that fire in the clouds is called lightning. I may be wrong however. xD

• I will surely give it a try, seems nice feature though.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2017

@Fusl said:

How does BGP help you filtering traffic before it reaches the server?

It can when it transports flowspec rules, if supported and enabled. ;-).

• dwtbfdwtbf Member

Can digitalocean announce bgp?

• m3gfm3gf Member

@jarland said:

DO's system templates are too less.

E.g Centos 6.5/7.1 are not available to choose from creating panel, thats an Disadvantage.

• Just curious, where are the high CPU plans? since it comes first via email.

• @vimalware said:
    Reminds me I haven't enabled the (external) node firewall on one of my dediserves.

We've only had that feature since 2010 tho ;) :)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@dediserve said:

@vimalware said:
    Reminds me I haven't enabled the (external) node firewall on one of my dediserves.

We've only had that feature since 2010 tho ;) :)

Not only you :-).

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2017

Many providers already have this feature, it would be much more exciting if it was like AWS or OVH where it can be used as DDoS countermeasure (none of the lower end providers support that AFAIK), but see this comment on the blog post:

Would this work well as anti ddos, like if I block all UDP and get a UDP attack against me will you still block my IP?

Unfortunately the detection and blackholing happens closer to the border and it isn't affected by Cloud Firewalls, so you might still be blocked. We are considering how we can improve this situation in the future.

It's still useful, just not really exciting since the feature is so common IMO. (But they say they are looking into it, so it might still happen!)

Thanked by 1jar
  • bapbap Member
    edited June 2017

DOwesome :)
    Love the tagging feature, made them more easy to use!
    Could be more awesome if they give rate limitting features :)

• @jarland said:

>

What is this based on, if you don't mind me asking? Is this a virtual firewall feature of an appliance?

edited June 2017

m3gf said: E.g Centos 6.5/7.1 are not available to choose from creating panel, thats an Disadvantage.

Why would you want outdated templates? CentOS 6 & 7 are LTS and the updates between 7.1 and 7.3 would be backports that do not break functionality. They will not be major package version updates.

@dwtbf said:
    Can digitalocean announce bgp?

Not at this time.

flatland_spider said: What is this based on, if you don't mind me asking? Is this a virtual firewall feature of an appliance?

It's completely built in-house.

Aluminat said: Just curious, where are the high CPU plans? since it comes first via email.

You can request early access here: https://www.digitalocean.com/products/compute/high-cpu/

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@jarland said:

@MikePT said:

Knowing the kind of attacks people on LET tend to receive, we couldn't tank a lot of them. There is some protection provided, but I feel like it wouldn't meet the needs commonly expressed by users here. The policy beyond that is automated null route.

That makes sense. Thank you :)