Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
$2 / Year VPS, Gullo Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

$2 / Year VPS, Gullo Hosting

yokowasisyokowasis Member
edited June 2017 in Reviews

First thing first,

Disclamer : I have never used NAT before. I only use normal IPv4 VPS with auto installer copy paste sh script.

CPU model:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz
Number of cores: 1
CPU frequency:  800.000 MHz
Total amount of RAM: 128 MB
Total amount of swap: 0 MB
System uptime:   9:11,
I/O speed:  245 MB/s
Bzip 25MB: /dev/fd/63: line 29: /usr/bin/time: No such file or directory
Download 100MB file: 63.3MB/s

The Good (based on my needs) :

• The Price

• I/O , and Network Speed

• @cam246 is very helpful

• Nevertheless the VPS Works.

• The VPS Provisioned Very Fast.

The Bad (based on my experience) :

• The Control Panel address they give in the email, has red https warning. They do have green https control panel. I wonder why they didn't send that url instead.

• The Instruction on the email is confusing. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out on how to login via ssh to my box.

The Review :
It took me hours to figure out how to get my domain showing my nginx page. I have no clue at all. I put {ip}:{port} in the browser and it works. And then {domain}:{port}, I still have no idea on how to server website in port 80. In the end I just use Cloudflare Forwarding Url, to convert mydomain.tld, into mydomain:myport.tld. Don't take me wrong, I love learning something new.

That is until this morning @cam246 point me to a guide on how to point my ipv6 to my domain. It used AAAA record on cloudflare. The thing is, the guide tell me to find the ipv6 address on my email. I look at my email and I find nothing. Asking again @cam246 about this. He tell me it is on Control Panel. Spending 10 minutes to find IPV6 on control panel and I found it on Network Tab.

And now I can serve my website on port 80.

TL;DR.
The VPS, The Price, The Owner are Great.
The Guide in the Email, not so much.

Thanked by 1mxvin

Comments

• Can you post the instructions from the e-mail?

• Hi Wasis,

Your service has been approved and activated. Please keep this email for your records.

Here is your Cloud VPS details.

Control Panel: {insecure https control panel url}

Username: {redacted}
    Password: {redacted}
    IP address: x.x.x.76
    Root Password: {redacted}

IPv4 NAT IP Information

You have been assigned a range of 20 ports along with your NAT IPv4 address and 1 redirection port for ssh.

example: x.x.x.3 has the following port range forwarded: 300 - 319
    example: x.x.x.13 has the following port range forwarded: 1300 - 1319

The external NAT IP's for inbound IPv4 traffic are:

Germany (x.x.x.X): {redacted}

DO NOT ADD ANY OF THE ABOVE ADDRESSES TO YOUR NETWORK CONFIG

You also get 1 extra pre forwarded port if you intent to use IPv4 that will redirect to port 22 (ssh) this is the last port allocated for example:

example: x.x.x.3 has the following port forwarded to port 22: - 320
    example: x.x.x.13 has the following port forwarded to port 22: - 1320

So to access your server right away simply ssh to your external IP with the pre forwarded port as above, example if your local IP is x.x.x.23 you would use- IP: {redacted} PORT: 2320

More info can be found here: https://billing.gullo.me/plugin/support_manager/knowledgebase/view/3/server-ip-s/4/

Thanks,
    Gullo's Hosting

• the x.x.x is being the local IP I presume.

• @yokowasis said:

Remove the ssh from that URL and it will work. I had ticketed it more than a month ago, but looks like @cam246 has still not updated the template.

• amjamj Member
    edited June 2017

(removed) I'm sorry, overlooked!

• CamCam Member, Provider

@yokowasis said:
    First thing first,

Disclamer : I have never used NAT before. I only use normal IPv4 VPS with auto installer copy paste sh script.

CPU model:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz
    Number of cores: 1
    CPU frequency:  800.000 MHz
    Total amount of RAM: 128 MB
    Total amount of swap: 0 MB
    System uptime:   9:11,
    I/O speed:  245 MB/s
    Bzip 25MB: /dev/fd/63: line 29: /usr/bin/time: No such file or directory
    Download 100MB file: 63.3MB/s

The Good (based on my needs) :

• The Price

• I/O , and Network Speed

• @cam246 is very helpful

• Nevertheless the VPS Works.

• The VPS Provisioned Very Fast.

The Bad (based on my experience) :

• The Control Panel address they give in the email, has red https warning. They do have green https control panel. I wonder why they didn't send that url instead.

• The Instruction on the email is confusing. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out on how to login via ssh to my box.

The Review :
    It took me hours to figure out how to get my domain showing my nginx page. I have no clue at all. I put {ip}:{port} in the browser and it works. And then {domain}:{port}, I still have no idea on how to server website in port 80. In the end I just use Cloudflare Forwarding Url, to convert mydomain.tld, into mydomain:myport.tld. Don't take me wrong, I love learning something new.

That is until this morning @cam246 point me to a guide on how to point my ipv6 to my domain. It used AAAA record on cloudflare. The thing is, the guide tell me to find the ipv6 address on my email. I look at my email and I find nothing. Asking again @cam246 about this. He tell me it is on Control Panel. Spending 10 minutes to find IPV6 on control panel and I found it on Network Tab.

And now I can serve my website on port 80.

TL;DR.
    The VPS, The Price, The Owner are Great.
    The Guide in the Email, not so much.

Thank You for the awesome review! I will spend some time working on the email to hopefully help with some of the confusion.

Thanks,
    Cam

• @cam246 I mean this with as little offense as possible but try kicking your own teeth in tearing your dick sack off and likely doing A FAKING SHOEY MATE.

That's the level of intelligence these services can bring in. Talk to @JackHadrill about CrapNAT. You are dealing with people who have a lower IQ than price some times.

The OP here is above the standard I've set here. However remember you are selling services at $2. That's going unnoticed on a 12yr olds parents card/PayPal. You will have people that have keyboards covered in dribble.

Anyway back from cuntland. It needs to be as simple as a rock on a stick otherwise see you on the other side. I just wish you could use permanent SSH console from Solus and keep to port 22 for SSH

Thanked by 1k0nsl

Yeah, I have memes. Not much else. Links are affiliate links

Powered by VMHaus (NVMe servers in UK, FR & CA with DDoS protection and BGP Sessions in UK) & Piohost Premium Bristolingrad

@GenjiSwitchPls said:
    @cam246 I mean this with as little offense as possible but try kicking your own teeth in tearing your dick sack off and likely doing A FAKING SHOEY MATE.

That's the level of intelligence these services can bring in. Talk to @JackHadrill about CrapNAT. You are dealing with people who have a lower IQ than price some times.

The OP here is above the standard I've set here. However remember you are selling services at $2. That's going unnoticed on a 12yr olds parents card/PayPal. You will have people that have keyboards covered in dribble.

Anyway back from cuntland. It needs to be as simple as a rock on a stick otherwise see you on the other side. I just wish you could use permanent SSH console from Solus and keep to port 22 for SSH

Haha, Thankyou? I guess... I will work on trying to make the service email simpler for people to understand.

• bersybersy Member

GenjiSwitchPls said: You are dealing with people who have a lower IQ than price some times.

that's what she said

• @cam246 said:

Haha, Thankyou? I guess... I will work on trying to make the service email simpler for people to understand.

I do mean it with the best intent. Absolutely, you will come across people that want to install cPanel or use the full 1Gbit port and will send you tickets asking you to install Windows free of charge.

The welcome email needs to state things such as "You can only use the port range {range} over the SHARED IPv4: x.x.x.x", include others such as "We cannot swap your IP address" the second especially applies if you breach out to Asia or US West as you will have many people getting blocked by the GFW as i've seen on LES forums and @AnthonySmith facepalm towards.

Powered by VMHaus (NVMe servers in UK, FR & CA with DDoS protection and BGP Sessions in UK) & Piohost Premium Bristolingrad

• @Neoon said:
    Hetzner?

Sadly I have informed cam already regarding abuse and Hetzner

• @anyone wondering the offer is, here's the link

Would've bought one if the location is one of my preference.

• @yokowasis said:
    Hi Wasis,

Your service has been approved and activated. Please keep this email for your records.

IPv4 NAT IP Information

You have been assigned a range of 20 ports along with your NAT IPv4 address and 1 redirection port for ssh.

You also get 1 extra pre forwarded port if you intent to use IPv4 that will redirect to port 22 (ssh) this is the last port allocated for example:

So to access your server right away simply ssh to your external IP with the pre forwarded port as above, example if your local IP is x.x.x.23 you would use- IP: {redacted} PORT: 2320

More info can be found here: https://billing.gullo.me/plugin/support_manager/knowledgebase/view/3/server-ip-s/4/

Thanks,
    Gullo's Hosting

That email is almost an exact copy of @AnthonySmith 's LES introduction email. So much so that you couldn't be assed to come up with your own examples.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Top Provider

Dextronox said: That email is almost an exact copy of @AnthonySmith 's LES introduction email. So much so that you couldn't be assed to come up with your own examples.

I don't mind :) there are only so many ways to write the same thing anyway.

I am no longer active here, find me at https://talk.lowendspirit.com (Just like LET without the scams)

• @AnthonySmith said:

Dextronox said: That email is almost an exact copy of @AnthonySmith 's LES introduction email. So much so that you couldn't be assed to come up with your own examples.

You should be more disturbed by the fact he calls them "cloud servers."

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited June 2017

@doghouch said:
    You should be more disturbed by the fact he calls them "Cloud serversVPS."

• @TheOnlyDK said:

@doghouch said:
    You should be more disturbed by the fact he calls them "Cloud serversVPS."

Eek :P

• EdmondEdmond Member without signature
    edited June 2017

@yokowasis said:
    Hi Wasis,

IPv4 NAT IP Information

Thanks,
    Gullo's Hosting

Maybe they should just keep it simple like this?

NAT IPv4: 12.34.56.78
    Internal IPv4: 10.0.0.1
    Dedicated IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888
    NAT IPv4 Ports: 10001-10100
    SSH: 12.34.56.78:10000
    Root Password: password

Probably just a block of info might be more helpful. :)

@Edmond said:

That's not as easy as it sounds. Specifically, telling people what exactly what ports they have. The simplest way is to show them how to figure out what their ports would be by looking at the Internal IP. The same way as LowEndSpirit does =D.

@r00t4bl3 said:
    @anyone wondering the offer is, here's the link

Would've bought one if the location is one of my preference.

I would also like to let you know that Canada is coming in the near future. =D. Hopefully that is in your preference.

@doghouch said:

@AnthonySmith said:

You should be more disturbed by the fact he calls them "cloud servers."

Its for the kids =P

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @cam246 said:

@Edmond said:

That's not as easy as it sounds. Specifically, telling people what exactly what ports they have. The simplest way is to show them how to figure out what their ports would be by looking at the Internal IP. The same way as LowEndSpirit does =D.

I'd hugely prefer the simple information block, but probably not easy to generate via a template. Even a direct command would be perfect e.g.

ssh [email protected] -p ssh-port (IPv4)

• I prefer they give me the Public IPv4, IPV6, the port I am assigned. Let the Computer do the math.

• gxc434gxc434 Member

Seems like udp is not forwarded.

• Openvpn seems not working :( could someone please try openvpn?

• Have you tried changing the default port to your assigned port ?

@ndlong75 said:
    Openvpn seems not working :( could someone please try openvpn?

• @yokowasis said:
    Have you tried changing the default port to your assigned port ?

@ndlong75 said:

Sure did on debian, did you try by yourself?

• gxc434gxc434 Member
    edited June 2017

@ndlong75 said:

Works for me but only in tcp mode (tcp-server).

gxc434 said: Seems like udp is not forwarded.

I would not be surprised if they are just blocking all udp on ipv4 for the sake of attacks.

I am no longer active here, find me at https://talk.lowendspirit.com (Just like LET without the scams)

• @gxc434 said:

@ndlong75 said:

which installation method did you use ? i tried tcp also, but it didnot work

• FritzFritz Member

I must admit that for $2/year, this offer is worth to be bought.

It works very good so far.

Thanked by 1netomx

I'm Good!

• With 2$ a year the return of investments is... ...non existent.

This is not doable.

Thanked by 1netomx

You are dreaming. | And it's a nightmare. | THE SECRET THREAD | THE TRUTH | HAVES YOU SEEN THIS YURA?
    „Homo homini rattus.“ | It's not nightmare, it's reality, but it's still nightmare.

• Got a mail that they're opening up in another location.

• @Janevski said:
    With 2$ a year the return of investments is... ...non existent.

This is not doable.

With $2 a year, nobody would put a critical production (whatever that means) software. Most of the time most vps will just idling.

• The option you can do for 128mb vps is very limited. Not to mention it doesn't have dedicate ip and you need to forward basically every service you want to use to non standard port. Thus makes the the limitation more limited.

• I got a VPS too, and it 's doing pretty OK. If they had a reverse proxy you could use it wouls be great. Yes, you need to use your assigned ports for your services. It's a good practice not to use the standard ports, anyway.

• Except openvpn, what could the box 128mb be used?

• Host a website. Backup Media.

@ndlong75 said:
    Except openvpn, what could the box 128mb be used?

• @ndlong75 said:

Would be interesting to see how strong a web server someone could config with nginx on debian with just 128MB of memory...

• define strong

• @yokowasis said:
    Host a website. Backup Media.

@ndlong75 said:

Agree on this vps : debian, nginx, AAAA record on cloudflare :)

• @ndlong75 said:

@gxc434 said:

@ndlong75 said:

which installation method did you use ? i tried tcp also, but it didnot work

For me it also only works in TCP. I used the Angristan script.

mikewazar said: Would be interesting to see how strong a web server someone could config with nginx on debian with just 128MB of memory...

http://forum.lowendspirit.com 64mb http 64mb db

20 - 40k p/month hits.

• PwnerPwner Member

@steliosm said:
    I got a VPS too, and it 's doing pretty OK. If they had a reverse proxy you could use it wouls be great. Yes, you need to use your assigned ports for your services. It's a good practice not to use the standard ports, anyway.

Security through obscurity is not good practice, and on a case by case basis may even break how certain software works since it attempts to connect to a standard, default port for a protocol instead of a custom configured one.

• steliosmsteliosm Member
    edited June 2017

@Pawner: I do use non standard ports on my VPS to hide services, such us SSH. I guess everyone has his own idea about what security is and how he applies his policies.
    I guess if you wanted to use a protocol with pre-configured ports as default, then you shouldn't be a cheapo and pay $2/year to get a service behind a NAT :-) No offense of course :-)

• I do not know what happened, but my OpenVPN server is now running normally on UDP. :-)

• mowsmows Member

Hello all! Due to the information mail you get after ordering I have to say I never had a virtual box before and I got clue of the content of this mail after tried a bit. At all it is of course not mass compatible but the point of this service is self service. One could everything do better, always and any time.

@Pwner
    There is a different in time and efficiency if a script/bot/kiddy is scanning a whole port range of a wide range of IP pools or just one port for every machine. Those are most wanted, most tried and of course most broken. I have seen big servers going down because a botnet tried to break in 22 with RSA key authorization on. A really good way to DOS. The probability of this happened on a hidden port is very low.
    But yea, we all heard about obscurity practices, but this is definatly not.

• mikhomikho Member, Provider

@mikewazar said:

Would be interesting to see how strong a web server someone could config with nginx on debian with just 128MB of memory...

On the first LES box in NL (64mb ram) I ran a Wordpress site with a few plugins. It was only a test and didn't have many visitors except the apache benchmark I did.

It held up, didn't crash. It's not something I would recommend since it takes time to go over each and every setting there is on every single bit of software you use.

Disclaimer: This was in the early LES stages, Wordpress has changed alot since then, might not be possible today.

I can now be found at https://talk.lowendspirit.com
    or on twitter
    Come say HI! :)