Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E5-1620 / E5-1650 / E5-2650 & Intel® QPI
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

E5-1620 / E5-1650 / E5-2650 & Intel® QPI

Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

Hi,

Which is better between E5-1620 / E5-1650 / E5-2650 ?? (Make a Serial according to your Choice). Suppose, all other factors (Price & Others) are constant / same for every processor.

Another thing I was noticing on Intel's Website that it states, E5-2650 has 8.00 GT/s Intel® QPI but E5-16xx has no QPI (0.0 GT/s Intel® QPI) !

What's the difference between having QPI or not having it ??

Thanks !

Comments

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

QPI is related to SMP Configuration ?? I mean Single / Dual Socket ?? Only the Dual Socket Supported Processors have QPI I can see !

edited June 2017

Found something Interesting:

• chxchx Member
    edited June 2017

Holy shit. Really? Please tell me if you run a hosting company so that I can avoid like the plague. There hasn't been a south bridge or AGP in a decade or so. So says wikipedia: "The southbridge became redundant and it was replaced by the Platform Controller Hub (PCH) architecture introduced with the Intel 5 Series chipset in 2008."

If you actually read the ark page for the E5 1650 you'd have seen it's a Max CPU Configuration 1 -- single socket. While the E5 2650 is a Max CPU Configuration 2 -- dual socket. If you would've read up on the E5-4607 you'd find it's a Max CPU Configuration 4 -- quad socket. This nomenclature crosses over to E7: the E7-4809 v4 is Max CPU Configuration 4. The E7-8860 v4 supports, as you can clear see by now, eight sockets. First digit, number of sockets.

The number of QPI links is the number of other CPUs this CPU can talk to directly. The days when QPI was used to talk to anything but a CPU are so long gone. So if you have four E5 4xxx then that CPU can talk to two others but the fourth CPU and the memory hanging off it will require two hops. Slower. If you have an E7 4xxx then all of them can talk to directly each other. Much faster but hideously expensive. The E7 8xxx also only has 3 QPI links, so that means half the CPUs will be further away from other CPU and memory. This is called a NUMA architecture -- non-uniform memory access architecture.

Thanked by 1flatland_spider

@chx said:
    Holy shit. Really? Please tell me if you run a hosting company so that I can avoid like the plague. There hasn't been a south bridge or AGP in a decade or so. So says wikipedia: "The southbridge became redundant and it was replaced by the Platform Controller Hub (PCH) architecture introduced with the Intel 5 Series chipset in 2008."

I can guarantee you that more than 50% Members here don't ever try to know deep inside about all these :)

However, you didn't provided your comment on the CPU Choice. If you have no problem to express, you can let me know about My first query.

Thanks a lot for your valuable information ^_^

• Which is a better CPU? For what? Cooking pasta?

Don't know what to say if you still need to ask this vague question.

@Junkless said:
    Which is a better CPU? For what? Cooking pasta?

Don't know what to say if you still need to ask this vague question.

Oh, Sorry :3 That's for Rendering & Single Threaded Applications !

• Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: Single Threaded Applications !

Well, clearly the one with highest core clock then. There is nothing else to choose from unless you have need for the extended RAM a dual socket system can support.

• edited June 2017

@FredQc said:

I wish that was the case. I buy a bunch and get so fat I couldn't move.