Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help assigning OVH/SYS Failover IPs to VMs within Proxmox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help assigning OVH/SYS Failover IPs to VMs within Proxmox

MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
edited June 2017 in Help

I'm trying to give my Windows Server 2016 VM one of the "Failover IPs" assigned to my SoYouStart server. I have Proxmox VE 4.4 installed on the host and have successfully created/installed the Windows Server VM. Right now, I am stuck on trying to give an IP to the VM. This is my first experience using Proxmox as I've only used Debian/Ubuntu for servers in the past so forgive my ignorance on the subject.

On the Network page within Proxmox CP I created a new Linux Bridge and added the IP/Subnet mask of one of the failover IP's. After reboot, the page says the bridge is Active. I then added this bridge as the network device for the VM. After booting, the VM has no network connectivity.

Other things I've tried:

• Using the main IP of the node (by using the vmbr0 Linux Bridge)
  • Generating a Virtual MAC for the Failover IP and setting the VM NIC's MAC as this address

Any help/troubleshooting tips would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Edit: I should also mention that I'm using VirtIO network drivers and installed those within the VM with no problems.

Comments

• FalzoFalzo Member

MasonR said: Generating a Virtual MAC for the Failover IP and setting the VM NIC's MAC as this address

this is the correct way.

you would also have to assign the IP inside the windows VM manually though, because there is no DHCP out of the box.

http://help.ovh.co.uk/Proxmox

remember to use netmask 255.255.255.255 and gateway of your main IP to use static routing.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited June 2017

Create "ovh" mac for the failover ip, give the mac to the VM in proxmox, use console and log to ur windows and assign the failover ip as ip in the adapter settings, set subnetmask to 255.255.255.255 and default gateway as your host/node IP but change the last digits of it to .254

This is the easiest way.

Thanked by 2MasonR GamerTech24
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited June 2017

@Falzo said: this is the correct way.

@stefeman said: This is the easiest way.

I think that got me most of the way there. I configured the static IP through the adapter settings using:

IP - {Failover_IP}
    Subnet - 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway - {main_IP}.254

Preferred DNS - {main_IP}
    Alternate - 213.186.33.99

After all of that, I was assigned an IP address of 169.254.x.x. for some reason so I disabled IP autoconfig. So now I am getting the right IP address, but still no connectivity.

Running the diagnostic tool, says "Change the TCP/IP settings for the Ethernet adapter. The adapter is currently set to use a specific IP address that is incorrect, rather than obtaining an IP address automatically." Any ideas?

edited June 2017

Lets imagine ur main IP is 11.22.33.44 and ur failover is 55.66.77.88

Based on those, tell me what you have on ur adapter? It should be:

IP - 55.66.77.88
    Subnet - 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway - 11.22.33.254

Preferred DNS - 8.8.8.8
    Alternate - 8.8.4.4

Try google dns (above) also, windows can show invalid connection info if it can't reach a DNS and resolve domains.

You need to use vmbr0 with the server. If you use virtIO network adapter, windows guest OS needs drivers for it. Try changing it to E1000 from settings.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • 169.254.0.1 is link local IP. Do you even have adapter enabled?

edited June 2017

@stefeman said:
    Lets imagine ur main IP is 11.22.33.44 and ur failover is 55.66.77.88

Based on those, tell me what you have on ur adapter? It should be:

IP - 55.66.77.88
    Subnet - 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway - 11.22.33.254

Preferred DNS - 8.8.8.8
    Alternate - 8.8.4.4

Try google dns (above) also, windows can show invalid connection info if it can't reach a DNS and resolve domains.

You need to use vmbr0 with the server. If you use virtIO network adapter, windows guest OS needs drivers for it. Try changing it to E1000 from settings.

Gave that a shot, no dice. My IP settings followed the same pattern as the ones you mention above.

VirtIO drivers are installed. Tried the other network model as well with no luck. Adapter is definitely enabled.

Maybe this is where the issues is -- during the auto install of Proxmox, within the Network page has eth0 as blank and auto created a Linux Bridge (vmbr0) with my host's main IP & gateway, and a bridge port value of eth0.

After the fact, I created a new Linux Bridge (vmbr00) for one of my Failover IPs with only the IP and Subnet mask filled in (no gateway or bridge ports, etc.).

Not sure if this is the correct config or not.

edited June 2017

The only other explanation I have is that you have fucked your proxmox somehow from OVHs template. If you manually had to install proxmox over some Linux, I suggest using OVH image from Installs.

Got it working.

@stefeman said: You need to use vmbr0 with the server.

This is the part that tripped me up. Was using my Failover IP's Linux Bridge (vmbr00) rather than the main IP's Bridge (vmbr0).

I really appreciate the help @stefeman & @Falzo!

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • racksxracksx Member

The best and easy way to do with sys is

1. setup virtual mac

2. setup new container and use the mac assigned as mac of the network interface

3. network settings should be

ip of your block 10.10.10.50

netmask 255.255.255.0

gateway 10.10.10.254

this way you would be able to use all ips, too bad that this is not working on ovh servers :(

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2017

stefeman said: Preferred DNS - 8.8.8.8 Alternate - 8.8.4.4

Need to add 213.186.33.99 (OVH DNS Server) otherwise you will not be able to get connection on VM to Internet.

More information:
    https://docs.ovh.com/gb/en/cloud/dedicated/network-bridging/

Thanked by 1GamerTech24
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@WebProject said:

stefeman said: Preferred DNS - 8.8.8.8 Alternate - 8.8.4.4

Need to add 213.186.33.99 (OVH DNS Server) otherwise you will not be able to get connection on VM to Internet.

what? why should that depend on using OVH DNS?

I haven't found any information there which says that you can't use any other dns server instead...

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Falzo said: what? why should that depend on using OVH DNS?

it's how their network is setup. similar restriction to MAC address per IP, I haven't seen such network setup in other DCs.

• FalzoFalzo Member

WebProject said: it's how their network is setup. similar restriction to MAC address per IP, I haven't seen such network setup in other DCs.

I strongly doubt that.

first because I am pretty sure I already have multiple VMs running not using OVH DNS but plain google dns.
    second because it simply does not make any sense. how should not using OVH DNS prevent you from accessing the public internet? those servers only get involved when it comes to resolving domain names. before that a system of course must be able to even reach any dns server at all. and as long as the system uses no domain names, (e.g. for connecting directly to 8.8.8.8) there would be no way of telling what DNS Server the system is using at all.

the only thing possible to think of would be blocking access to other DNS servers completly to make it harder to go around OVH - yet again that does not make much sense and I haven't seen that happening.

of course I'll go and try to verify that later. please fill me in if I am missing something on that...

@WebProject said: Need to add 213.186.33.99 (OVH DNS Server) otherwise you will not be able to get connection on VM to Internet.

You definitely don't need to use OVH's DNS Server. I'm using Google's DNS servers without any issues.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • I went through this recently when I got a SYS server and decided to set it up with Proxmox. I will tell you of course you can use any dns server you wish as I use 8.8.8.8 myself.

Second, I highly suggest if you have more than one failover IP, like if you bought a block, you will need to set them all to the same virtual mac (it is an option in the virtual mac setup). I was having major problems with my last two IP addresses until I set it so all of my IPs had the same virtual mac.

Right now I have 5 extra IPs and have used them in KVM and LXC just fine.

@Holoshed said:
    you will need to set them all to the same virtual mac (it is an option in the virtual mac setup). I was having major problems with my last two IP addresses until I set it so all of my IPs had the same virtual mac.

Hmm. Even if you're assigning each IP to a different VM? I only have the Windows server set up so far, but was going to add a couple Debian VMs as well and was under the impression each one needed its own unique MAC.

edited June 2017

@MasonR said:

@Holoshed said:
    you will need to set them all to the same virtual mac (it is an option in the virtual mac setup). I was having major problems with my last two IP addresses until I set it so all of my IPs had the same virtual mac.

Hmm. Even if you're assigning each IP to a different VM? I only have the Windows server set up so far, but was going to add a couple Debian VMs as well and was under the impression each one needed its own unique MAC.

I also have no idea why would you have to use all IPs under same MAC unless you intend to use routing in proxmox or setup DHCP. I always use bridged and unique MAC for each IP.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • stefeman said: I also have no idea why would you have to use all IPs under same MAC unless you intend to use routing in proxmox or setup DHCP. I always use bridged and unique MAC for each IP.

Honestly it could have just been an odd fluke but when I assigned them each their own virtual mac they stopped working for me. When I assigned them all the same virtual mac (what does it really matter in the end), it worked just fine. I use the bridge just the same as you.