Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel i7-4790k or close to the same performance server.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Intel i7-4790k or close to the same performance server.

Looking for a very strong single-thread server. Currently using the i7-4790k from SoYouStart and the high pings simply are terrible from times. On high-peak times we hit 300ms+ ping and I live a province away. (This server is used for a Node.js gameserver) Can anyone offer any server with the following specs or close?

CPU: Intel I7-4790K (Just a server with strong single-threading. 3.7Ghz+)

RAM: 16GB or more.

Storage: I can literally run this on 100MB of storage. Just need something decent, SSD is a plus.

Location: North America, if you can also offer the same server in Europe is a plus. However, North America is mandatory.

Budget: Max $60USD/month.

Hopefully you got some good offers :)

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2017

Why not run trace and report to OVH if it's an issue with the network? Peak times wouldn't matter, I've never noticed any issue like that. Fixing the problem is better than looking for alternative, plus 3.7GHz+ dedicated server, I can't think of any others that are under $60/m except for outside of North America.

Thanked by 1TheRealMakan
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

This will be hard to get. First it's not a server grade CPU. Second it has high power consumption. This is not a combo many Datacentres go into.

Thanked by 1TheRealMakan
  • @MikeA I heard much about OVH's support not be the best. I'll be sending them an email. Thanks for the heads up.

• Nocix comes to mind, they're in Kansas. This i7-3700/16GB/120GB SSD+2TB HDD might be alright for you.

I'll update this if I can think of anything else.

Thanked by 1TheRealMakan
  • @Clouvider said:
    This will be hard to get. First it's not a server grade CPU. Second it has high power consumption. This is not a combo many Datacentres go into.

Any Xeon CPU can do as well, just need good single-thread performance.

• G3258 (when overclocked to around 4.4ghz) will perform exactly the same as a 4790k single threaded

Thanked by 1TheRealMakan
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@TheRealMakan said:

@Clouvider said:

Such high clock is available in Xeons designed for high frequency trading which are expensive (and power hungry), else you need to accept lower clock or stay with soho kit, but that in turn limits your choice of suppliers.

Thanked by 1TheRealMakan
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@TheRealMakan said:

@Clouvider said:

i7 is basically consumer version of E3. Or rather E3 is 'enterprise' grade i7. The CPU you have is 3.7Ghz. Can you make do with a bit less?

Got the following in Europe, if you're interested:

i5-3330 = 3.2Ghz
    i7-4770 = 3.4Ghz
    Xeon E3-1230v3 = 3.3Ghz
    Xeon E3-1231v3 = 3.4Ghz
    Xeon E3-1245v2 = 3.4Ghz

If you really need 3.7+ GHz, then that's hard to find. If you can make do with 3.2 - 3.5, then those options are available and cheaper!

Heck if single core is all you need, I think I have a few i3-3220 which are also 3.3Ghz. And if single core is all you use, it would probably be just as good as the E3-1230v3.

• chxchx Member
    edited June 2017

Hetzner has E3-1271 V3 (3.6 GHz, Haswell) CPU dedis for 40-45 EUR. The CPU you are talking of is a 4GHz Haswell. That's a 11% percent difference so even if the CPU is perfectly kept busy at all time you still only 10%... and it won't be as you know so the performance difference will be negligible.

To close the gap, you could get one of their E3-1275 v5 (3.6 GHz, Skylake) boxes for 59 EUR a month but those come with a 119 EUR once off setup fee. Your call whether it worths it.

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

http://www.seflow.net/2/index.php/en/services/baremetalserver/browseservers

• Intel I7 7700 4,2Ghz
    • 32 GB RAM
    • 480 SSD

50 EUR (under 60 USD) monthly

• EdmondEdmond Member

@TheRealMakan said:
    Looking for a very strong single-thread server. Currently using the i7-4790k from SoYouStart and the high pings simply are terrible from times. On high-peak times we hit 300ms+ ping and I live a province away. (This server is used for a Node.js gameserver) Can anyone offer any server with the following specs or close?

CPU: Intel I7-4790K (Just a server with strong single-threading. 3.7Ghz+)

RAM: 16GB or more.

Storage: I can literally run this on 100MB of storage. Just need something decent, SSD is a plus.

Location: North America, if you can also offer the same server in Europe is a plus. However, North America is mandatory.

Budget: Max $60USD/month.

Hopefully you got some good offers :)

You could just call them and explain what's wrong with it, I heard the support is good, and, assuming you mean the BHS datacenter, don't they run their own fiber in Ontario and Quebec? I get around 61ms ping from western Canada, with the connection going from my ISP directly into their network at around Toronto or something.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@TheRealMakan said:
    @MikeA I heard much about OVH's support not be the best. I'll be sending them an email. Thanks for the heads up.

'I heard support was bad so I didn't try it'

What sort of idiocy is that?

• >

However, North America is mandatory.

And all offers/quotes are for EU servers...

• 1-855-OVH-LINE is their phone number