Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google fiber or similar ISP as NAT colocation?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google fiber or similar ISP as NAT colocation?

Anyone have access to these kind of 1G symmetrical network and don't mind a small single HDD nas hosted at your home?

Comments

• lol, no way!

Thanked by 2Clouvider netomx
  • hzrhzr Member

if you're willing to pay for my connection sure.

• You might want to read the terms of such offers (hint: usually server hosting is not allowed, and especially not commercial.)

• maylimayli Member

@hzr said:
    if you're willing to pay for my connection sure.

$70 a month, i could pay part of it if you have access.

@William said:
    You might want to read the terms of such offers (hint: usually server hosting is not allowed, and especially not commercial.)

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/10/google-fiber-now-explicitly-permits-home-servers/

• hzrhzr Member

mayli said: $70 a month, i could pay part of it if you have access.

I'll be on 2Gbps at my new place in a month, but it's a lot more than 70.

Thanked by 1mayli
  • maylimayli Member
    edited June 2017

@hzr said:

mayli said: $70 a month, i could pay part of it if you have access.

I'll be on 2Gbps at my new place in a month, but it's a lot more than 70.

Senior software engineer @ Microsoft

are you talking about the M$'s network? Are you at Seattle? Since I will not use all the bandwidth, I am OK to share a portion of your monthly bill.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2017

Home server != commercial. Commercial == income == not private usage.

As simple as that.

From the article you did not read at all:

The new terms say that Google Fiber customers are not allowed to "operate servers for commercial purposes"

And the terms:

Here are some common-sense rules that you should keep in mind when using services provided by Google Fiber: [...]
    To operate servers for commercial purposes

• But it's not commercial if it's a charity that does good deeds and people donate. A religion is even better.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2017

Here are some common-sense rules that you should keep in mind when using services provided by Google Fiber: [...] To operate servers for commercial purposes

Lel, it's not like you HAVE to tell Google Fiber about this little deal with hosting some guy's HDD.

Thanked by 1sayem314
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

OP, netflix is overrated.

• rm_ said: Lel, it's not like you HAVE to tell Google Fiber about this little deal with hosting some guy's HDD.

Sure. Google also does not need to tell you why they cancel your contract and blacklist your address either.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@rm_ said:

Here are some common-sense rules that you should keep in mind when using services provided by Google Fiber: [...] To operate servers for commercial purposes

Lel, it's not like you HAVE to tell Google Fiber about this little deal with hosting some guy's HDD.

Unless the buyer intentionally or unintentionally causes abuse that will put hit on the seller who will have to reveal the deal to save his/hers ass.