Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry pi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry pi

dwtbfdwtbf Member

I want to creat a raspberry pi cluster that'll be used as a low-power consuming computer and server for programming, what is ur recommendations on the model of pi?

Usage:

1 for a "laptop/desktop" for general usage

The rest for servers (Node, Go, PHP/Nginx)

Budget is $200

Comments

• better get orange pi , cheaper i guess / better performance per $$

• RPi as desktop is slow as hell if used for anything demanding (like YT in a browser).

Generally they are by 5V input also idiotic to power large scale, but 10 is not really large anyway.

And as noted, original RPi is just bad per $ unless you can use (and obtain) zero's.

• bapbap Member

The rest for servers (Node, Go, PHP/Nginx)
    Budget is $200

How much is The rest?

• @William said:
    RPi as desktop is slow as hell if used for anything demanding (like YT in a browser).

Generally they are by 5V input also idiotic to power large scale, but 10 is not really large anyway.

And as noted, original RPi is just bad per $ unless you can use (and obtain) zero's.

non-zeros might be more expensive, but the rpi3 is more powerful than a zero and has a built-in network port which is quite handy when using it as a server.

• right, i assumed they have the network port also fan out, makes no sense without...

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

You'll need one of these too, :P

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited June 2017

The Pi is not cheap desktop at all, it's low form factor devprotoboard.

I mean, I've used it as desktop for months and you'll have to be quite patient. Not forget to mention that the pi3 overheats as a normal load desktop.