Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ecatel -> Novogara, any other clients?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ecatel -> Novogara, any other clients?

Been with Ecatel/Novogara for about 18 months and I'm curious if there are any other customers of theirs here that would weigh in on their network performance.

After talking with several users on my community hosted on their dedicated server there, it seems like the throughput to most places in the world dropped quite a bit after they were re-branded to Novogara (or somewhere around that time, maybe it's just coincidence)

Generally speaking their support staff have been helpful and I haven't had any issues with the hardware itself, but the occasional network blips/issues have come up during my time with them. Would recommend against trying to ever run e-mail out of their IP ranges though. I constantly deal with getting blacklisted just by being in the same subnet and ended up moving my e-mail server out elsewhere.

Appreciate any input, thanks!

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2017

it is called "Quasi networks" and as usual the renames and moves are just shuffle due to legal issues, i would not assume that your hardware (including all data) will be safe - could be confiscated at any time.

nuceman said: it seems like the throughput to most places in the world dropped quite a bit after they were re-branded to Novogara

Because they get left and right dropped by upstreams for criminal activcity.

nuceman said: recommend against trying to ever run e-mail out of their IP ranges though

Why do you run email from a warez hosting provider...

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited June 2017

Ecatel was never known for their network.. 2 days downtimes were not unheard of. At one point they got dropped by almost all of their peers due DDoS and illegal stuff.

Theyre pretty much only good for tubesites and warez.

• Well I will go for more better vps which is more stable, I will not host with whom have legal issues and can close down anytime.

• @robert4u said:
    Well I will go for more better vps which is more stable, I will not host with whom have legal issues and can close down anytime.

Do you mind pointing me to the address of the building located here?

https://www.hostter.com/about-us

• @GenjiSwitchPls said:

@robert4u said:
    Well I will go for more better vps which is more stable, I will not host with whom have legal issues and can close down anytime.

Do you mind pointing me to the address of the building located here?

https://www.hostter.com/about-us

You mean like their office?

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited June 2017

hahahahaha lol hahahahahaha nice @teamacc

I was running XRumer in a previous life from an Ecatel dedi, network was fine for that use, but that was a looong time ago.

• PwnerPwner Member

@robert4u your photoshopping is photoshit buddy. You don't even need to use the option of searching Google for the similar images to see that you basically increased transparency of your logo and overlayed it on the stock images.

Sorry for the tangent, back to the topic, no reason to use Ecatel/Novogara unless you're looking to conduct illegal activities, given that is their reputation and the consistent rebranding to avoid conflicts with the law. If you're looking for a better quality network or to run an email server (not exactly the best choice to go with a company that has a reputation for hosting spam, DDoS attacks, and warez sites), look towards more reputable companies that are known for having stricter policies and network peering.

In all honesty, unless you have a specific reason for being with them, I'd recommend switching to a different provider. Ecatel/Novogara has a very bad history with the activities conducted on their machines, and you'd be in better hands with a more reputable provider that doesn't run the risk of getting their services cancelled by upstream networks/court order seizures.

• 127001127001 Member

teamacc said: You mean like their office?

>

I need to work there so I can pull that bitch in the middle.

• teamaccteamacc Member
    edited June 2017

Allow me to just point out how crappy this image actually is:

1. There are no computers of any kind in the image

2. The logo is there just to be in the center of the image

3. The logo is pasted over a doorway.

4. The logo is not level.

5. THE LOGO IS ON AN OPENED DOOR, FLOATING IN THIN AIR.

Edit: looking at it again, it seems to be intended as being pasted on the wall behind. Makes it look even more ridiculous though, as the reflections in the window are not overlaying it.

• William said: Why do you run email from a warez hosting provider...

Hadn't tried running my own e-mail server before outside the US and didn't run into issues with blacklisting in the past so I wasn't aware that would be an issue. I was hoping to not have to rely on an external service for handling emails but ended up just renting a small/cheap VPS in the US for it later.

It's a game modding community and I chose to host it there in case publishers started coming after us for editing their work without permission. Not sure if this discussion is allowed here, but if you think in this case it's not terribly necessary to use a 'warez' hosting service for this, I'm open to suggestions on a more reliable host where we're not in danger of being shut down.

• @nuceman said:

William said: Why do you run email from a warez hosting provider...

Hadn't tried running my own e-mail server before outside the US and didn't run into issues with blacklisting in the past so I wasn't aware that would be an issue. I was hoping to not have to rely on an external service for handling emails but ended up just renting a small/cheap VPS in the US for it later.

It's a game modding community and I chose to host it there in case publishers started coming after us for editing their work without permission. Not sure if this discussion is allowed here, but if you think in this case it's not terribly necessary to use a 'warez' hosting service for this, I'm open to suggestions on a more reliable host where we're not in danger of being shut down.

Going with Ecatel is like hiring neo-nazis to talk about traditional family values in a school lecture. It's overkill..

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • stefeman said: Going with Ecatel is like hiring neo-nazis to talk about traditional family values in a school lecture. It's overkill..

Not sure I really get that analogy or which part it's being applied to. Going with Ecatel at all is overkill or just for my specific case?

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited June 2017

@nuceman said:

stefeman said: Going with Ecatel is like hiring neo-nazis to talk about traditional family values in a school lecture. It's overkill..

Not sure I really get that analogy or which part it's being applied to. Going with Ecatel at all is overkill or just for my specific case?

You will be fine with any offshore host. If youre paranoid, you can even go for a "dmca ignored" provider like @cociu. Going for a warez host is unnecessary unless you intend to setup a pirate site that offers direct downloads to a copyrighted material.

Game modding goes under fair usage anyway, so technically you could run it even from US. I doubt the studio would like to anger the playerbase either by going after modders.

• Novogara already down 10 hours and going. Partial network outtage?

Some websites are online some are down, their own website is also down.
    https://novogara.com

Who is also affected?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@nexlimited said: Who is also affected?

I'm affected by this necro post, not by Novogara being down.

• @DP said:

Why should I open a new topic when there are already topics? Makes no sense.

• @nexlimited said:

@DP said:

Because this Topic is Older then some of the people here.

Thanked by 4DP angstrom Falzo paco
  • @nexlimited said:
    Novogara already down 10 hours and going. Partial network outtage?

Who is also affected?

They run their own DNS, and it has an outage. It happens often, and I wouldn't be concerned if I were you. At least not about that.

• @TWC said:

@nexlimited said:

Who is also affected?

They run their own DNS, and it has an outage. It happens often, and I wouldn't be concerned if I were you. At least not about that.

Not really, im customer since 2018 and never had such long outtage like this before on novogara. Its the first time now.

• @nexlimited said:

1. The topic of the thread isn't an outage
    2. The thread is not in the Outages category

Makes no sense?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@nexlimited said:

@TWC said:

@nexlimited said:

Who is also affected?

Not really, im customer since 2018 and never had such long outtage like this before on novogara. Its the first time now.

So let this be the first time you and Novogara hear each others voices.

• WHAT A SURPRISE, THEY ARE BACK