Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why do some vps provider want a picture of your credit card?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

why do some vps provider want a picture of your credit card?

dragonballz2kdragonballz2k Member
edited June 2017 in General

I can sort of understand photo id, but credit card picture is a little much. Why do some vps provider have weird requirement for fraud protection?

Comments

• To ensure you own the credit card and aren't commiting fraud. Chances are they already have your card info stored so a photo isn't going to reveal anything to them of value they don't already have

• Yes, its a common practice nowadays to ensure you are a owner of CC but while providing picture try cover most of the part and leave last four digits, expiry date and name as it is. :)

• AmitzAmitz Member

Because they are sick and secretly masturbate while looking at pictures of people holding their credit card. They are sick people. Very sick. Incredibly sick.

• m3gfm3gf Member

Very sick. Incredibly sick.
    I learn some new words now.

• jtkjtk Member

Some providers don't necessarily do it to everyone, but rather as a deterrent to potential clients or orders that are in some way evaluated as high risk. Those providers that would do it for everyone I personally think are best avoided.

• That means I can sell access to a credit card image generator.

• m3gf said: Very sick. Incredibly sick. I learn some new words now.

There's a tutorial for that particular style here: http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a38403/how-to-sound-like-donald-trump/

• why do we all have to suffer from people abusing providers? it just kinda stupid to send credit or even your photo id through email and fax there should be a more secure way or standard to how you send them.

• MasterCard and Visa, however, explicitly prohibit retailers from requiring an ID to accept a properly signed card. "They can ask for that ID, but you can refuse to show the ID and they still must accept the card," says Paul Stephens, director of policy and advocacy at the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse, a nonprofit that advocates for consumer privacy rights.

On the other hand, Visa and MasterCard rules prohibit the acceptance of unsigned cards. If you present one, the merchant must ask you to sign the card and supply an ID. Visa guidelines specify that it must be an official government ID.

Discover's policies are more intrusive. They state that a store employee who has doubts about the validity of a card should "request and review additional identification" from the customer. And for an unsigned card, the company requires two pieces of identification, including one government-issued photo ID.

American Express is more vague. It requires merchants to "verify that the customer is the card member," but its rules make no direct mention of requiring an ID.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/can-retailers-ask-id-with-credit_card-1282.php

Thanked by 1jtk
  • zedzed Member

i'm not sending a lowend provider images of either my dl or cc, come on guys.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Don't send them photo of the card's back side (where CVV/CVC2 is) and you'll be fine.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

zed said: i'm not sending a lowend provider images of either my dl or cc, come on guys.

Are you saying that low end provider is not worth with your trust to keep sent data safe?

• Just a bit of coin on the side, by selling said card details.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@zed said:
    i'm not sending a lowend provider images of either my dl or cc, come on guys.

Just as the provider is well within their rights to not provide you with a service on the occasion.

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2017

@ljseals said:
    MasterCard and Visa, however, explicitly prohibit retailers from requiring an ID to accept a properly signed card. "They can ask for that ID, but you can refuse to show the ID and they still must accept the card," says Paul Stephens, director of policy and advocacy at the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse, a nonprofit that advocates for consumer privacy rights.

On the other hand, Visa and MasterCard rules prohibit the acceptance of unsigned cards. If you present one, the merchant must ask you to sign the card and supply an ID. Visa guidelines specify that it must be an official government ID.

Discover's policies are more intrusive. They state that a store employee who has doubts about the validity of a card should "request and review additional identification" from the customer. And for an unsigned card, the company requires two pieces of identification, including one government-issued photo ID.

American Express is more vague. It requires merchants to "verify that the customer is the card member," but its rules make no direct mention of requiring an ID.

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/can-retailers-ask-id-with-credit_card-1282.php

Some of these rules aren't even compatible with the way every retail establishment operates. So it's important to remember that much like the laws in the country those companies are based out of, it's all selectively applied and much of it ignored across the board.

I haven't signed the back of any of my cards in the last 15 years. No one knows, everyone uses self service pay terminals. It doesn't grant me any more rights to deny charges in practice, unless maybe I want to sue the CC company, which they know I won't.

• ljsealsljseals Member
    edited June 2017

While I do not particularly care for it some major businesses such as Costco, Sams, and Wal-Mart ask to see your receipt to leave the store. They have made the "business decision" to require a slight inconvenience to the customer in order to reduce the risk of shoplifting.

So I personally would not follow the rule but it is best to know that it exists. You make the decision on what is best for your business and customers. While I do not see anything personally wrong with asking for id you must know that the customer may perceive it as bad customer service. God bless you!

• pikepike Veteran

@time4vps said:

zed said: i'm not sending a lowend provider images of either my dl or cc, come on guys.

Are you saying that low end provider is not worth with your trust to keep sent data safe?

If a Lowend Provider asks for a picture of my ID and my Visa sent to him via unencrypted e-mail. Then yes, he is not worth my trust.

Thanked by 1jtk
  • @dragonballz2k
    Does that "some vps provider" has a name?

• saf31saf31 Member

Next time send this one . . . . .

Thanked by 1brueggus
  • didtavdidtav Member

I won't send anything to kids provider

• JarryJarry Member

@dragonballz2k said:
    I can sort of understand photo id, but credit card picture is a little much.

Even asking id-card is too much (while I'd call asking for copy of credit-card real impudence). ID could be misused easily. Moreover, some countries do not have id-cards at all, others have them non compulsory...

• @jarland I had to sign my card during a visit to Buffalo. The Walmart I was at didn't support tapping, nor chip. I'm surprised by how slow the adoption of more secure technology has been in the US. They made me sign the receipt, and I had to sign my card quickly before the clerk checked :P

Thanked by 1netomx
  • This is to prove that you are the actual owner of the card. However, you do have the choice to cover some of the numbers and usually merchants will accept them.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@doghouch said:
    They made me sign the receipt

Sometimes the payment system reverse and ask for signature, even if you used PIN to validate transaction. Have you charged them for such complicated process? As sounds is very complicated task you have performed, as personally I think the following way: at the end of the day you wish to purchase item in shop, if system reverse to signature, who give a F about it?

• LeeLee Veteran

dragonballz2k said: why do we all have to suffer from people abusing providers?

No need to make it sound like it's an 'everyone' requirement. If a provider asks for more information like an image of the card then it's likely related to something else that has come up about you, not because of other people.

Of course, some may take a broad brush approach to a specific country which I can also understand.

• @dragonballz2k said:
    I can sort of understand photo id, but credit card picture is a little much. Why do some vps provider have weird requirement for fraud protection?

>

just protect fraud.if your vps provider need pic of your credit card,that is fine. just cover your CVV.

• I had to do this, they let me blank the center numbers and only made me show the front so it was all good

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Thomas50 said: if your vps provider need pic of your credit card,that is fine. just cover your CVV.

and can be covered all numbers except last 4. we do ask on some occasion, to verify that user is legal holder of credit / debit card.

• BAKABAKA Member
    edited June 2017

I guess you haven't yet confronted a provider who requires you to submit a photo of you holding your official id card -- sometimes even a short video with designated poses.

Oh, some p2p loan lenders even require the borrowers (girls) to submit naked pics as pawn, so Amitz is very, very, very right about masturbation. lol.

• AmitzAmitz Member

I am an expert in the field of masturbation.

Thanked by 1netomx