Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why buying Microsoft Licences to resellers ??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why buying Microsoft Licences to resellers ??

Hi Guys,

Never really understood why I could buy Microsoft licences like sharepoint/exchange/Office to resellers like Go Daddy, Host Europe, or OVH ... I mean Why would I host my Microsoft products in a different company. Do you think it has any value ? Can I get it cheaper ? Does it represent a risk ?

Thanks !

Comments

• What?

Thanked by 3Ympker Rami Pwner
  • I'm looking to buy several O365 licences for an associative project and I saw that some hosting companies were selling it too. What is the advantage to buy from them compared to Microsoft directly ?

• Somewhat-cheaper pricing, you don't have to deal with the horrendous M$ serious of awful portals, no need to deal with M$ Support etc...

• never had to deal with M$ portal but thanks for the info ;)

• mtsbatalhamtsbatalha Member
    edited May 2017

The title should be:

What the advantages of buy a license with a reseller instead Microsoft?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@mtsbatalha said:
    The title should be:

What the advantages of buy a license with a reseller instead Microsoft?

If you're going to correct him, you need to be sure to actually get it right.

'Dear Motherfuckers, please could you advise me on the merits of purchasing Microsoft licenses via a reseller as opposed to doing so directly'.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'm wondering if the OP's nick (hard cod) refers to the fish or the piece.

• WilliamWilliam Member

hardcodder said: mean Why would I host my Microsoft products in a different company

Because you might already have a 5k EUR Server 2016 datacenter license and want to now do external HyperV...?

The entire question is fairly pointless.

• southysouthy Member

To start off, perhaps you could let us know what product you are talking about in the first place.

@hardcodder said:
    I'm looking to buy several O365 licences for an associative project and I saw that some hosting companies were selling it too. ?

O365 personal/home or business?
    Are you sure you talk about O365 and not about hosted exchange? Yes, that is a big difference.

• Hosted exchange is an exchange mailbox that you typically get from a provider. I'm not even sure MS Offers this service. From what I know about the market, within europe, OVH has the cheapest offer and is based on Exchange 2016.

• O365 personal/home is the office suite (for private use only) and it is available from MS only. Bying there is rather expensive, cheaper is to get a key on ebay. No, there is no risk as long as you make sure to always enter the key into your MS-Account.

• O365 business is the suite and may include an exchange account as well, depending on the plan. It's available from MS and providers. Providers may be cheaper.
      There also is the special "hosted in germany" version for those that want to make sure that US government can not pull stuff upon court order. Also available from MS (germany) and (german) providers. Is more expensive and some details differ.

Ok now, which one is it going to be.

Thanked by 1ljseals
  • southysouthy Member

Or are you talking about Exchange Server licenses? And sharepont in most cases is a seperate license....

Again: be a bit more specific in what you actually look for.

• Thanks @southy for your answer ! I looked at OVH's offers and indeed they have really nice prices. I'm really thinking about buying with this provider rather than MS.

• @Southy I followed your advice and found this nice deal on OVH Deals Twitter account. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCH8jiPVoAE2rRJ.jpg:large & https://twitter.com/ovh_deals?lang=fr. It's only available on OVH.fr and a litlle bit complicated but if you go on https://www.ovh.com/fr/office-365/ and take Office 365 Business with annual payment and put OFFICE365START in the promo section once in the order form, you can get 3 months offered. Tried it and it work.

Thanked by 2ljseals southy