Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM outbound bandwidth speeds
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM outbound bandwidth speeds

thaidavidthaidavid Member
edited July 2013 in Providers

Hey Everyone,

I am just wondering, for those who have VMs with BuyVM, how are your outbound speeds look? I have a Storage VM and my speed seems to be maxed at like 300KB/s outbound (avg 200KB/s) is anyone else experiencing a similar issue?

Comments

• They might have limited it because it's a storage vm

• @serverian said:
    They might have limited it because it's a storage vm

Nah that wouldn't make a lot of sense, what's the point in having a storage VM if you can barely transfer any data from/to it at all?

• rds100rds100 Member

I'd say open a ticket with BuyVM and let them check what's going on.

• I have a storage 250 and I'm running rsync at 2.5MB/s inbound. For outbound, I remember I reached at least 1MB/s

• Ah, I still haven't been able to reach that and they have just installed a new router.

• thaidavidthaidavid Member
    edited July 2013

@rds100 said:
    I'd say open a ticket with BuyVM and let them check what's going on.

They are telling me now to get a MTR report. Even though I have moved to a new node and my VM was wiped by that hard drive failure from one of their nodes recently.

• Could well be on your end (either in the VM, or your routing to BuyVM) -- able to pull ~3M/s from my server to OVH BHS, and ~6M/s to QuickPacket ATL.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Got a ticket ID?

We've been awaiting a reply from Fiberhub about cogent routes screwing a few users up.

Most users have reported a very positive speed increase with the router work.

Francisco

• rds100rds100 Member

Interesting, Cogent doesn't seem to be so bad in Europe in the last few years. Usually if i see a route go over he.net i know it's going to be crap in the end.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Same here, I see routes over cogent in eu with minimal or no packet loss (except somehow in UK at times, but that was during their DDoS problems mostly).
    Prometeus has a cogent line 10 gbps without commit., just in case of emergency, for backup. During a DDoS with more than 20 gbps went into action taking over a good share, serving the purpose very well.

• Cogent to Asia is probably the issue. Same as HE to Asia. Cogent / HE to Europe is fine though. Asia in general is a more difficult problem. I don't get why Firehub dropped Tinet in favor of TW Telecom at all.

@rds100 said:
    Interesting, Cogent doesn't seem to be so bad in Europe in the last few years. Usually if i see a route go over he.net i know it's going to be crap in the end.

Our biggest issue was a bunch of comcast users. We've only had a single user on HE report issues to us since the maint but he had really high ping and packetloss well before he even got to the US.

As I said, Rob has had to adjust routes before since he has seen issues and sometimes his route optimizer picks wrong.

@concerto49 - So what happened was Rob ordered AboveNET at the start of the year and expected to have it turned up within 2 - 4 months tops (including build out, etc). He had no interest in renewing TINET since he claims he had issues with them ontop of the fact they were making him pay for the backhaul.

He was fully expecting abovenet to be online and taking over for TINET before his contract at TINET renewed but that didn't work in his favor.

I'm really excited to see abovenet in there. I'd love to see Telia as well but it's unlikely Rob wants to deal with backhauling from LAX again.

Francisco

• @Francisco Is that what it was? Disappointed. I thought Rob was adding Above.net not swapping.

Tinet + nLayer (well GTT) + Cogent + Any2 peering will give you very decent speeds to Asia. In fact more than you need. Telia is likely not useful. I would rather get level3. HE + Cogent are better than Telia from LA.

Above.net isn't really that good to Asia. It's ok in a random places, but nothing amazing.

Asia has too much congestion and you need different carriers. Tinet + Cogent + HE wasn't bad. Taking out Tinet and adding TW Telecom to an Asia destination is sorry, bad! TW Telecom is great, just not for Asia.

For Asia, I would like NTT and level3 too, but that's on the more expensive. So, we went with MultaCOM.

TW isn't added for everyone. TW is only there for a single client that has a single gig. I don't think any other clients even take it. <_<

Rob's shopping around for others besides just TINET. He had to take TINET out of his routes to asia since it was throwing things out of wack. He's mentioned NTT to me a few times now ;)

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    TW isn't added for everyone. TW is only there for a single client that has a single gig. I don't think any other clients even take it. <_<

Rob's shopping around for others besides just TINET. He had to take TINET out of his routes to asia since it was throwing things out of wack. He's mentioned NTT to me a few times now ;)

Francisco

That sounds sad. Well problem with adding NTT or even using it as a replacement for Tinet is that NTT doesn't work for China and a lot of other places. Tinet is more balanced. As in you can't add NTT alone.

I should also add that I've had a ton of China/etc users reporting major drops in latency going abovenet. I was very surprised to see it beat out HE even. :)

A lot of mainland China was seeing ~350ms to SJC but they're seeing ~180ms to abovenet's LV pop.

Francisco

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited July 2013

@Francisco HE gets ddos all day in Califonia. I wouldn't compare anything to it. Anything is better than it. Like I said Above.net isn't that bad. It works sometimes.

Tinet / nlayer would likely get you 150 or 160ms to China.

@concerto49 said:
    Francisco HE gets ddos all day in Califonia. I wouldn't compare anything to it. Anything is better than it. Like I said Above.net isn't that bad. It works sometimes.

Yea HE draws a lot of fire it seems :P Likely because they offered those $500/m racks to everyone.

Francisco

• @Francisco yeah we were with Webnx earlier and the move was due to their extensive use of HE. It just tanked.