Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which premium providers do you use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which premium providers do you use?

rocketrocket Member

Question is pretty much the title.

Most of us (entire point of LET) have a load of LowEndBoxes that we use for various, non critical projects.

Who do you go to if you have an important project or site to host, where uptime and stability are the main priority?

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I've used KnownHost multiple times in the past - great host.

I used to use WiredTree but they were recently acquired so I can't recommend them any more, as I have no experience with Site5.

If you count Azure and Amazon, I've used those as well...but that's a different kind of offering.

• sanvitsanvit Member

DO and Linode. For bit less critical stuff, Vultr

• WinneWinne Member

budgetnode

Thanked by 1Jordan
  • hzrhzr Member
    edited May 2017

5 digit monthly spend at Azure and GCP for production projects I work on with others.

For personal I dump most of my stuff on either whatever I get free from Azure or Linode

Non-cloud: hetzner for non latency sensitive, tier for latency sensitive US West, NYI for latency sensitive US East, nocix/wholesale for non latency sensitive US

sanvit said: DO and Linode. For bit less critical stuff, Vultr

So I personally wouldn't consider those "premium" but I can see how some people would.

It depends on what the OP means.

• busbrbusbr Member

@hzr said:
    Non-cloud: hetzner for non latency sensitive, tier for latency sensitive US West, NYI for latency sensitive US East, nocix/wholesale for non latency sensitive US

NYI seems interesting. Are there any hosts that offer VMs out of it?

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:

sanvit said: DO and Linode. For bit less critical stuff, Vultr

So I personally wouldn't consider those "premium" but I can see how some people would.

It depends on what the OP means.

Care to explain why DO isn't a "premium" provider?

nik said: Care to explain why DO isn't a "premium" provider?

Maybe they are - depends on what premium means.

Typical LEB: maybe an SLA, unmanaged, tickets can take 24h, etc.

One kind of premium: hand-holding support, 24x7 phone service, ticket SLA, managed hosting, has HA, dedicated support, takes responsibility for backups, etc.

Another kind of premium: higher quality host like DO/Linode/Vultr that have higher reliability, still unmanaged but with a strong SLA/many nines, etc.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Netcup :-) #rocksolid in service & support

• @raindog308 said:

nik said: Care to explain why DO isn't a "premium" provider?

Maybe they are - depends on what premium means.

Typical LEB: maybe an SLA, unmanaged, tickets can take 24h, etc.

One kind of premium: hand-holding support, 24x7 phone service, ticket SLA, managed hosting, has HA, dedicated support, takes responsibility for backups, etc.

Another kind of premium: higher quality host like DO/Linode/Vultr that have higher reliability, still unmanaged but with a strong SLA/many nines, etc.

Any reason why you put management service into "premium"? I think managed hosting and self-managed hosting are very different and most tech people would want unmanaged hosting but they may still want it to be premium.

My definition of it would be something like:

Hardware Part:

• At least 2 servers like Dell R930 that has redundant CPUs, memory, PSU's, network cards.
    • A SAN setup with a ton of redundancy connected to the servers for storage

Network Part:

• At least 2 diverse fibers (diverse paths to the DC) entering to 2 core routers
    • Redundant ToR switches for racks

Power Part:

• A+B side, different paths, different companies providing it, backed by UPS and generators

Support Part:

• Direct communication path to the higher level on-site staff and network admin

Company Part:

• Making more than enough to throw money into problems and hire quality staff

Legal Part:

• A few nice looking nines SLA for network, power and communication
    Thanked by 1Umair

serverian said: Any reason why you put management service into "premium"? I think managed hosting and self-managed hosting are very different and most tech people would want unmanaged hosting but they may still want it to be premium.

It all depends on definition :-)

• serverianserverian Member
    edited May 2017

@raindog308 said:

serverian said: Any reason why you put management service into "premium"? I think managed hosting and self-managed hosting are very different and most tech people would want unmanaged hosting but they may still want it to be premium.

It all depends on definition :-)

I know but I want to know the reason :) I think there is a big misunderstanding regarding this managed and self-managed hosting difference.

It's all over on WHT people saying "hey, what do you expect, they are a unmanaged provider.", etc.

Unmanaged != lower quality and Managed != higher quality is all I want to say. :)

You make a good point @severian . There's premium unmanaged, certainly.

There is a correlation, though...if you're offering managed, you are charging more and customer expectations are higher, which gives it that "premium" feel. E.g., KnownHost will cost you $30/mo or more for fully managed. They'll handle backups, provide an SLA, etc.

• imokimok Member

Codero. No problems at all.

• NixtrenNixtren Member

I trust LunaNode for critical stuff. Always there when things go wrong :)

• @raindog308 said:
    You make a good point @severian . There's premium unmanaged, certainly.

There is a correlation, though...if you're offering managed, you are charging more and customer expectations are higher, which gives it that "premium" feel. E.g., KnownHost will cost you $30/mo or more for fully managed. They'll handle backups, provide an SLA, etc.

Well, that's usually not the case. There are a ton companies which offer unmanaged services and charge way more than KnownHost, WiredTree, etc.

Managed hosting also has its variations. If a company is offering a reactive management, then that's very different than a company offering proactive management.

Still, none of which has any direct relation to the company offering better services than unmanaged ones.

A company can just hire Level 1/2 staff to handle reactive management tickets and offer managed hosting on the side of unmanaged hosting. (KnownHost & RocketVPS, though they have discontinued RocketVPS it seems). This doesn't necessarily mean you'd get better uptime if you are paying some extra for the management.

Managed services are for people who don't have any idea how to manage their own server operating system or the ones who don't want to be bothered by it. Once the operating system layer ends, the underlying system's (hardware, network, virtualization, etc) management matters the most and that's how people should define "premium" hosting.

Also, if I learned anything in my career at hosting, that'd be lower paying customers would usually have higher expectations :)

• LunarLunar Member

I've had a really good experience with Hetzner. Drive replacements are super quick and I've never had a single problem really. If I were to use a 'cloud' provider I'd go with Linode or DO.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • corbpiecorbpie Member

Delimiter

• My Dedistation and Dewlance VPS'es have been reliable.

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@corbpie said:
    Delimiter

Who?

• DH22DH22 Member

Steadfast and AWS

• sonicsonic Veteran

What is "premium providers"?

• jlayjlay Member
    edited May 2017

I host all of my important stuff on my employee account at Rackspace. The LowEndBoxes are for sandboxes/labs :) With that said, I don't fully trust all of my data anywhere - everything is replicated to my local network as well.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

If you can, do not put all your eggs in one basket and build a high availability cluster with two or more LowEndBoxes. Chances should be quite low that all of your LEBs are down at the same time. Just to throw in another idea. And to mention another provider with good reputation and good redundancy concepts: Clouvider.

• @raindog308 said:
    I used to use WiredTree but they were recently acquired so I can't recommend them any more, as I have no experience with Site5.

Weren't they acquired by Liquidweb ?

@hzr said:

Really ? How is the uptime ?

• After lots of issues with my old provider , I decided to go with managed provider with good support , without looking at cost as major factor I found webhost.uk.net since migration things have been great I should agree support staff are friendly and always ready to help

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2017

serverian said: At least 2 servers like Dell R930 that has redundant CPUs, memory, PSU's, network cards.

Quad socket systems are used for banking (and are outdated CPU wise; no Skylake-X for quad socket, no Ryzen for quad socket either, E7 v4 not generally available etc.). Not for hosting.

Waste of money and totally wrong area to be in - hosting has no advantage with shadowed CPUs and 3 way memory mirror. The 6-10 dual socket servers you get for the same price make far more sense.

serverian said: different companies providing it

Most countries have only one connected grid - the entire EU is by now mostly one massive grid.

serverian said: A SAN setup with a ton of redundancy connected to the servers for storage

We have seen how that ends with OnApp and similar. SAN, especially redundant, is not really useful at this time - you also need INSANE sized interconnects to keep them sync (100Gbit+).

serverian said: At least 2 diverse fibers (diverse paths to the DC) entering to 2 core routers

2 fibers are nothing. Every notable major EU DC (InterXion FRAx, Equinix, Telehouse UK DCs) has 4+.

This also does not help anything if the are optically pumped from, you can guess: the state power grid with no fallback.

serverian said: A few nice looking nines SLA for network, power and communication

No, that part does not matter - the part with the contract fines if they fall below does.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Can anyone recommend Maple-Hosting?