Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to Rent IPv6 /29 Subnets
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking to Rent IPv6 /29 Subnets

Hello,

We are looking to rent multiple /29 IPv6 subnets on monthly basis. We will announce and use these IPs on our datacenter.

Let me know your price for per /29 and how many you can supply.

Comments

• Can I ask the hell are you going to do with a /29? Multiple /29s. I'm using a /44 that's that's overkill for my need but need it due to the /48 min announce

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

/29 IPv6?! Really? OP are your referring to IPv4?

• tomletomle Member, LIR

Go to RIPE, they will hand out /29.

• Thanks all for your input however I am not looking to get suggestions, let me know if you have any.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2017

No sane RIPE LIR will rent you their entire /29 - this looks EXTREMELY suspicious to RIPE if you merge LIRs or similar. No other RIR than RIPE gives out a /29 at all without major justification which prohibits transfer/non-LIR usage then anyway.

That is why /32s are usually the largest offered.

You can buy and transfer /29s to your LIR however.

• @William said:
    No sane RIPE LIR will rent you their entire /29 - this looks EXTREMELY suspicious to RIPE if you merge LIRs or similar. No other RIR than RIPE gives out a /29 at all without major justification which prohibits transfer/non-LIR usage then anyway.

That is why /32s are usually the largest offered.

You can buy and transfer /29s to your LIR however.

Interested to sell any?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

ripe.net

• WilliamWilliam Member

If you have an existing RIPE LIR, possibly - else you cannot really buy them on a legit way.

• What do people like do with 633.825.300.114.114.700.748.351.602.688 addresses?

• WilliamWilliam Member

bluesega said: What do people like do with 633.825.300.114.114.700.748.351.602.688 addresses?

I assign /40s to users which can fill up a /32 pretty easy unlike /64s, but even with that a /29 is plenty of space.

• But even a /40 is 309.485.009.821.345.068.724.781.056 addresses :o
    Imagined providers are getting only about a /64 (which still is 18.446.744.073.709.551.616), or they'd basically throw away these address-spaces like nothing :o
    Cannot imagine what to do with that many addresses, even with like...4 million servers and each getting like 400 IPs lol.
    What do you guys assign your server customers? A usual /128 or more?

• @bluesega said:
    But even a /40 is 309.485.009.821.345.068.724.781.056 addresses :o
    Imagined providers are getting only about a /64 (which still is 18.446.744.073.709.551.616), or they'd basically throw away these address-spaces like nothing :o
    Cannot imagine what to do with that many addresses, even with like...4 million servers and each getting like 400 IPs lol.
    What do you guys assign your server customers? A usual /128 or more?

IPv6 do not count individual IPs, count /64s @ucxo will be able to explain which RFC states a /64 per device is standard

• WilliamWilliam Member

bluesega said: Imagined providers are getting only about a /64

Smallest you can announce by BGP is /48.

End-user allocation/assignment is /64.

ISP/colo customers get a /48 or larger.

A RIR gets in any region at least a /32.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • ucxoucxo Member

@bluesega

And as to why the default assignment size is /64: IPv6 relies heavily on stateless adress autoconfiguration (SLAAC) for that, the system generates a 64-bit identifier for itself (usually based on the 48-bit MAC address of the network interface, but there are other methods as well) and appends that identifier to the prefix that is announced on the network via router advertisements. Since 128 (bits in an IPv6) - 64 (bits in the identifier) = 64, the prefix cannot be longer than a /64, otherwise SLAAC fails.

Now, you might not even want to use SLAAC on a server, and instead configure a static IP. But if providers would assign different prefix sizes depending on their own policy, you would end up with a huge mess, unable to tell if two IPs that are "close" to each other belong to the same end-user — which is particularly important for things like blacklists where you want to block exactly one end-user that's been abusive (neither leaving some of their space unblocked, nor blocking their innocent neighbours).
    That's why RFC 6177 defines /64 as the standard end-user allocation size.

The /48 minimum announcement size on the other hand is just to keep the global routing table from becoming fucking enormous.

Thanked by 2MikePT bluesega
  • WilliamWilliam Member

ucxo said: The /48 minimum announcement size on the other hand is just to keep the global routing table from becoming fucking enormous.

That will not work anyway in the end, but by now new routers have amounts of RAM that render this a rather unimportant point.

• I had a few offers via pm. Still looking for this.

• EdmondEdmond Member

@William said:

bluesega said: Imagined providers are getting only about a /64

Smallest you can announce by BGP is /48.

End-user allocation/assignment is /64.

ISP/colo customers get a /48 or larger.

A RIR gets in any region at least a /32.

I heard that it's recommend to assign /56 blocks to end users, my ISP seems to follow that, why doesn't others do that anyway? Can't exactly remember the reason behind assigning /56 blocks but was it /48 was too big and /64 was too small or something?

• lol, stupid.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2017

Edmond said: I heard that it's recommend to assign /56 blocks to end users, my ISP seems to follow that

DSL/Access, yes. Server, no.

A /56 contains routable space, which is useful in home setting. On a single server this does not matter as there is only one device usually.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

William said: On a single server this does not matter as there is only one device usually.

Yeah, it's not like you can host multiple customers on the same server, using some sort of, I don't know, maybe we could call it a "Virtual Private Server" system.

• ucxoucxo Member

@rm_ said:

William said: On a single server this does not matter as there is only one device usually.

Yeah, it's not like you can host multiple customers on the same server, using some sort of, I don't know, maybe we could call it a "Virtual Private Server" system.

I assume @William was thinking of VPSs.

You are correct when it comes to dedicated servers, though -- which is why I have so little respect for Hetzner (who demand €50 to assign a /56 to a dedi) and OVH (who just outright refuse to assign more than a /64, even to their largest and most expensive dedicated servers).

• ucxoucxo Member

Anyway, we're slightly derailing OP's thread...

I'm still curious what @reyeskane plans to do with multiple /29s.

• @ucxo said:
    @bluesega

And as to why the default assignment size is /64: IPv6 relies heavily on stateless adress autoconfiguration (SLAAC) for that, the system generates a 64-bit identifier for itself (usually based on the 48-bit MAC address of the network interface, but there are other methods as well) and appends that identifier to the prefix that is announced on the network via router advertisements. Since 128 (bits in an IPv6) - 64 (bits in the identifier) = 64, the prefix cannot be longer than a /64, otherwise SLAAC fails.

Now, you might not even want to use SLAAC on a server, and instead configure a static IP. But if providers would assign different prefix sizes depending on their own policy, you would end up with a huge mess, unable to tell if two IPs that are "close" to each other belong to the same end-user — which is particularly important for things like blacklists where you want to block exactly one end-user that's been abusive (neither leaving some of their space unblocked, nor blocking their innocent neighbours).
    That's why RFC 6177 defines /64 as the standard end-user allocation size.

The /48 minimum announcement size on the other hand is just to keep the global routing table from becoming fucking enormous.

Thank you for explaing this.
    But switching from theory to todays usage, I don't understand how to tell which IP is now used for the server. On my first provider, got one v6, all clear to enter into DNS. But on Aruba, they tell a subnet with a range, and don't know what to enter in DNS :/

• ucxoucxo Member

@bluesega said:
    But switching from theory to todays usage, I don't understand how to tell which IP is now used for the server. On my first provider, got one v6, all clear to enter into DNS. But on Aruba, they tell a subnet with a range, and don't know what to enter in DNS :/

You can manually configure any IP from the range they've assigned you -- 2001:db8::1 or 2001:db8::f00 or 2001:db8::ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff or 2001:db8::1o1:b00:b1e5, it doesn't matter -- or use stateless autoconfiguration (provided by your OS) to get something like 2001:db8::250:56ff:febc:7106.

Thanked by 1bluesega
  • I am still looking for these. Let me know if you can supply.

• DJManasDJManas Member
    edited October 2018

Hello,

I love to necro post a year old thread!

This discussion has been closed.