Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS 2 Year Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS 2 Year Review

I have been with Chicago VPS since 2011. Originally, I was concerned that they didn't have a customer support phone # or physical business address listed on their site. However, because of the price and good reviews I decided to give them a chance. Over the years I ended up with 3 VPS instances for various customers.

Everything was great with minimal downtime till around November of 2012 when they had their first SolusVM issue. The biggest complaint I had and other customers had was the lack of communication during the outage. They don't seem to understand that hourly updates even if it is just "We are still working on X problem" goes a long way to appease customers and shows they really are working on the problem.

I figured this was a one-time thing and they would learn from their past mistakes so I continued my services with them past this outage. Now, fast forward to the most recent outage and it is clear they not only didn't learn from their past mistakes they give out mis-information on their updates. Continual updates that services will be back up in 24 hours or "today". Information on how they have backups for Chciago based VPS but in reality they don't have a backup for multiple nodes. Notes that those affected by the incident will "receive compensation" although I have yet to receive any information about compensation.

The biggest issue again is communication. We rely on accurate information to inform our customers. If we knew the outage was really going to take a week to recover we would have moved to another host ASAP. I can understand sending out the first email and then finding an issue but those issues should have been discovered and updated with a more realistic time frame.

Bottom Line: If you are looking for one of the cheapest VPS providers with limited support they are OK. If you are running any type of business web site you should look to a better provider.

Also, even if you are with a better provider who provides backups, MAKE YOUR OWN BACKUPS. You never know what will happen.

We are now moving to a new provider which is more expensive but I feel much more comfortable with our setup.

Comments

• vnetvnet Member

Support the above comments! Endorsed by!

• reallyyyyy :o then where to go :o

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Guys, c'mon Chris aint that bad.

• PaulPaul Member

I think ChicagoVPS has had its up's and down's, just like any provider here. Communication is an important issue for customers, so it's good that ChicagoVPS is receiving this kind of review, so they can work to improve on it, if they haven't done so already.