Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Docker ISO/IMAGE?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Docker ISO/IMAGE?

Good morning all! Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

I was wondering if anyone knows of an ISO and/or IMAGE that has docker pre-installed. I've tried looking around google myself but my search results get flooded with actual docker images and other stuff not related to what I am looking for.

Also, even better would be an ISO/IMAGE that has docker pre-installed and an easy to use control/managing panel for docker images.

Thanks for any help or comments!

Comments

• edited May 2017
    • CoreOS (sorry, no control panel)
    • OpenStack
    • SmartOS
    • Shipyard (script, not iso)
    • Portainer (container, not iso)
    • Rancher
    • Panamax
  • @ALinuxNinja said:

• CoreOS (sorry, no control panel)
    • OpenStack
    • SmartOS
    • Shipyard (script, not iso)
    • Portainer (container, not iso)
    • Rancher
    • Panamax

Thanks! Will look into.

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

apt-get install docker

• @cfgguy said:
    apt-get install docker

In theory it would be that easy but it isn't ... thanks though.

• haphanhaphan Member

@doughnet said:

What issues you are facing?

Thanked by 1doughnet
  • @haphan said:

@doughnet said:

What issues you are facing?

No actual issues just looking for a quick self installed solution if one was possible. I'm going to try out rancher and smartos.

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

I am workng quite extensively with docker. If you tell me the O's on which you are trying to install docker then I can help you with that.

• RancherOS is the way to go: http://rancher.com/rancher-os/

Thanked by 1doughnet
  • haphanhaphan Member
    edited May 2017

doughnet said: No actual issues just looking for a quick self installed solution if one was possible. I'm going to try out rancher and smartos.

Most cases I have seen, docker apps can be deployed within minutes, be it rancherOS, coreOS or vanilla ubuntu witjh docker-engine. The tricky part most of the time is networking and start-up scripts (mtu, host bridge, cloud-init).

I can recommend you to look at minimal docker-host OS like rancherOS and see what is lacking for your needs. In my case, i had to use Fedora Atomic host for some reasons.

Thanked by 2doughnet yomero
  • elwebmasterelwebmaster Member
    edited May 2017

The easiest is to just use boot2docker iso. You don't need to do anything and it just works. Simplest solution. CoreOS/Rancher will have you read over tons of documentation and pulling all your hair with complicated initialization / SSH configuration scripts.

Thanked by 1doughnet
  • @elwebmaster said:
    The easiest is to just use boot2docker iso. You don't need to do anything and it just works. Simplest solution. CoreOS/Rancher will have you read over tons of documentation and pulling all your hair with complicated initialization / SSH configuration scripts.

I very quickly read about boot2docker and it sounded interesting but it almost sounded like it would lose the data each reboot? Am I missing something?

• @doughnet said:

@elwebmaster said:

I very quickly read about boot2docker and it sounded interesting but it almost sounded like it would lose the data each reboot? Am I missing something?

You won't lose the data if you have a disk. When the iso boots it looks for any partitions it supports and if it finds one it mounts it. All your Docker images & containers go on this mounted partition and you can put an init script there as well (if you need to change something like the default password for SSH). The next time you reboot it will use the same partition and your data will still be there.

Thanked by 1doughnet