Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Squid/tinyproxy/3proxy alternative
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Squid/tinyproxy/3proxy alternative

kumandakumanda Member
edited May 2017 in Help

I am looking for a squid/tinyproxy/3proxy alternative to use in college. It should be easy to install. I am waiting for your suggestions. (Please no shadowsocks suggestion)

Example:

I'll use it in a web browser. Thanks.

I use the operating system (my vps OS): Ubuntu 14.04

Comments

• kumandakumanda Member

Thanks. But that's not what I want. I want it like a squid proxy/3proxy. Are there alternatives to these?

• sibapersibaper Member

why you dont want ssh tunnel?

• w3e4r5w3e4r5 Member

Privoxy easy and simple

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

SSH tunnel in my experience is crap at multiple parallel connections, i.e. if you load a couple sites at once, or just one site with a lot of linked CSS and images. It seems like if one of the multiple connections hangs waiting for data, then others may hang too, waiting while it unblocks. srelay over a VPN doesn't have this issue and generally works so much better for me.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • thagoatthagoat Member
    edited May 2017

Privoxy + Shadowsocks (Sorry about the Shadowsocks thing but combined with privoxy it's rather snazzy) or just privoxy. Couple quick edits on the config file and you're good to go, plus ad blocking built in!

• @rm_ said:
    SSH tunnel in my experience is crap at multiple parallel connections, i.e. if you load a couple sites at once, or just one site with a lot of linked CSS and images.

This is true. For casual browsing though, it's not an issue - what if the page fully loads its assets a tad slower. If you are using a proxy for work though, and parallel performance of loading is a crucial metric, yes, not the way to go.