Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reverse DNS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reverse DNS

I have a number of VPS' (about 20 I think) and done a quick check on them to see if reverse DNS was set up on them.

About half do not.

Could we give VPS vendors a friendly nudge to start setting this up automatically when creating accounts?

Thanked by 1natestamm

Comments

• Given that VPS' are so cheap I feel the less need to contact them with support tickets, the better.

The process can be pretty much automated.

• udkudk Member

You mean allowing you to customize it via control panel or having them provide their own by default?

• Them assigning it by default would be fine.

For example, say I want to 'clean' an email list to check whether addresses are valid or not. A lot of SMTP servers are going to reject any communication after EHLO/HELO outright, because you're supposed to use a FQDN. It's something the owner of the address block has to do.

• @ricardo you a spammer?

• Spencer, the idea of this thread was for serious replies. I've been in web development for 15 years.

• It isn't that hard to add. SolusVM has a function for clients to set rDNS provided a few things are setup. Some hosts have this, though with all the SolusVM audit going on, that's a different story.

• Our system provides full access to RDNS. Automatic RDNS to something generic is just as bad as nothing because some SMTP servers will make sure the RDNS matches the A record.

• SolusVM

Thanks, never really had a good look at it but will now. Seems a lot of the VPS' offer SolusVM so this would eradicate the problem for me pretty much.

FRCorey,

Not sure that automation would be such a bad thing. Setting up $userchosenhostname.$vpsdomain would be fine enough, since WHMCS asks for a hostname on signup. That shouls be good enough for helo when using a basic address like user@$userchosenhostname.$vpsdomain

• rds100rds100 Member

Considering that most users just use "test" or "vps1" or similar as hostname... it wouldn't work very well.

• It would work fine as test.vpsprovider.net or vps1.otherprovider.com

• rds100rds100 Member

Not really. For instance if your connect to my mail server with helo "test.vpsrovider.com" and there is no matching reverse AND forward DNS entry - you will be rejected.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2013

Some providers have ip-XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX.providername.tld as the default rDNS. And make sure both back and forward DNS resolves for that name. But I agree it's not too crucial to have that by default for 100% of new VPSes. What's more important, is to enable the user when/if they desire to edit both v4 and v6 rDNS instantly via the control panel (no tickets). Because some of us want our silly IRC hostnames, but feel like giant assholes bothering a real person with a ticket to set them.

Thanked by 1natestamm
  • ip-XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX.providername.tld

yep that's what I've saw from the ones that have bothered.

but feel like giant assholes bothering a real person with a ticket to set them.

agreed! I'm sure they could 'fire and forget' with this.

• Not all providers have their OWN IPs, or have the ability to set rDNS on their IPs themselves (leased IPs from their DC). Thus, it would be somewhat difficult to automatically set rDNS entries.

• awsonawson Member

@ricardo said:
    Them assigning it by default would be fine.

For example, say I want to 'clean' an email list to check whether addresses are valid or not. A lot of SMTP servers are going to reject any communication after EHLO/HELO outright, because you're supposed to use a FQDN. It's something the owner of the address block has to do.

I'm sure if you have the time to set up a mail server, you have the 5 seconds to manually set your PTR record.

• @awson said:
    I'm sure if you have the time to set up a mail server, you have the 5 seconds to manually set your PTR record.

I guess this assumes that I would be using a domain I own.

• awsonawson Member

@ricardo said:
    I guess this assumes that I would be using a domain I own.

Yes, SolusVM checks to see if there's a matching A record. Why wouldn't it?

• I'm not sure what road you're going down with this. The thread is about the owner of an IP block assigning reverse DNS to an IP... which (before this thread) I believed was out of my control on bog standard VPS'

Not sure why domain names need to come into the equation.

Thanked by 1natestamm
  • @ricardo said:
    I'm not sure what road you're going down with this. The thread is about the owner of an IP block assigning reverse DNS to an IP... which (before this thread) I believed was out of my control on bog standard VPS'

Not sure why domain names need to come into the equation.

Because you need a valid A record in your domain to set a rDNS. Solus checks anyway.

• emgemg Veteran

In the past, I have seen Reverse DNS as a "user-configurable" setting in SolusVM control panels for VPSs I own. When I clicked on them, a message would appear, saying to contact the hosting provider. I never saw a user-configurable reverse DNS, where the user could make changes directly.

I just checked, and none of my SolusVM-based VPSs has a Reverse DNS setting in their current versions of the panel.

• rds100rds100 Member

@emg then bitch to your providers, it's not hard to configure this in SolusVM. Unless your providers don't have their own address space, then life is harder for them.

• @emg we have this in LA and it'll be available once SolusVM client side goes back up after the audit.

As rds100 said it's not hard.

• natestammnatestamm Member
    edited July 2013

This has become so important because it's the one universal setting that you need now to get your Email accepted.

I can vouch for that with Comcast, Gmail, Outlook, Hotmail, AOL etc etc

I wouldn't stay with a host that doesn't have ownership. That and paying close attention to your Ip reputation will not only solve 99.9% of delivery problems But weed out many poor hosts/practices to boot.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

We have it in solus, the only one not working is the ipv6 for KVM i think.
    And yes, solus does check and any sane provider would, if the subdomain points tot he IP, otherwise ppl would set a record like mail.microsoft.com.
    For obvious reasons (one of them being that mail will be rejected anyway in most cases) that cannot be allowed.

• rds100rds100 Member

When did Solus implement the forward <-> reverse match checking? I'm sure it wasn't there a couple of years ago.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

it checks if the subdomain points tot he ip in question, then it allows you to use the same domain for rDNS.
    It is at least a year since I know it works.

• emgemg Veteran

@rds100 said:
    emg then bitch to your providers, it's not hard to configure this in SolusVM. Unless your providers don't have their own address space, then life is harder for them.

Your advice may apply to many, but not yet to me. When I am ready, I will see what is needed. I don't mind opening a support ticket when I need Reverse DNS. It should be a rare event. For others, they may need a more dynamic, self-managed approach to Reverse DNS.

I suspect that at least some of my providers do not have direct control of their IP blocks, because sometimes the default rDNS on a given VPS IP address points to the colocation center, rather than the provider's company.

• If you think about it, it takes ~1 minute to open a ticket for rDNS. And you should only have to do it once per VPS.

• SpiritSpirit Member

@Magiobiwan said:
    If you think about it, it takes ~1 minute to open a ticket for rDNS. And you should only have to do it once per VPS.

And another two days that host set it up? :)

• huh? A default resolving rdns is suicide if you have no SMTP limits/blocks, one reason why we don't have any.