Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone use Vultr in production?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone use Vultr in production?

sysamysysamy Member

Hi, I am thinking of moving our webserver, PBX and VPN to vultr. Does anyone have any experience with vultr in a production environment. I plan to add backup for everything.
Support?
Reliability?
I currently mainly use vultr for testing

Comments

• m3gfm3gf Member

@sysamy said:
    Hi, I am thinking of moving our webserver, PBX and VPN to vultr. Does anyone have any experience with vultr in a production environment. I plan to add backup for everything.
    Support?
    Reliability?

Yes, I used to host WHMCS on it.

Tech support staff always reply quickly, like 1-5 mins.

Thanked by 1sysamy
  • sysamysysamy Member

Use to? Why did you leave?

@m3gf said:

@sysamy said:
    Support?
    Reliability?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2017

Many wonder do they really run hosting nodes without RAID (or using RAID0), and how can you host customers without RAID. Well I was browsing Vultr mentions on Twitter today, and found the answer how:

In case your server dies with total data loss you get a whopping 2 month credit (so $10).

Also I would personally stay far far away due to the $2.50 plan bait-and-switch scheme scam.

• Oh yeah sure Vultr you of course are using Vultr + one other company in a different continent with full redundancy even at DNS level. Sure Vultr is a good choice because you are sensible using a VPS in production you use many and have them in high availability.

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

@rm_ said:
    Many wonder do they really run hosting nodes without RAID (or using RAID0), and how can you host customers without RAID. Well I was browsing Vultr mentions on Twitter today, and found the answer how:

In case your server dies with total data loss you get a whopping 2 month credit (so $10).

Also I would personally stay far far away due to the $2.50 plan bait-and-switch scheme scam.

Doesn't get any better if you look at their competition (DigitalOcean):

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8229886

https://murze.be/2016/02/today-digitalocean-lost-our-entire-server/

• m3gfm3gf Member

@sysamy said:
    Use to? Why did you leave?

@m3gf said:

@sysamy said:
    Support?
    Reliability?

I did not leave Vultr, I left WHMCS.

Heard that Linode is a good choice.

Thanked by 2sysamy raindog308

Rhys said: Doesn't get any better if you look at their competition (DigitalOcean)

It does a bit, in 2nd case they gave $15 at least. But I would say it'd be fair to give a full year in such cases. That aside, DO has better reputation than Vultr (so they do have some room for mistakes), they are actually upfront about their plans and availability, not trying to scam people into paying, showing them a $2.5 carrot [which you can't actually get].

m3gf said: Heard that Linode is a good choice.

And yeah, now that Linode also has an $5 plan, there is little reason to pick Vultr. Even going with DO is debatable at this point.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

With Vultr (like any other hosting provider), you should design your own redundancy, and not cry like @rm_ does

Raid is not backup - and raid arrays can fail, no matter which type of raid you use.
    Sometimes you're just unlucky :-)

• @rm_ said:
    But I would say it'd be fair to give a full year in such cases.

Oh, fair. If we're making stuff out of thin air, I have a better one: Lifetime of company + double the ram + quadruple the disk + 4x servers.

Thanked by 1jiggawatt

deadbeef said: Oh, fair. If we're making stuff out of thin air

Nah a year is just a good "round" time period. Anything less, and you're penny pinching on people whom you have just let down.

• m3gfm3gf Member

Maybe you should consider Linode?

Thanked by 1sysamy
  • AmitzAmitz Member

Vultr is probably more than okay for development and testing. But "production"? No. I won't risk that.

• sysamy said: Does anyone have any experience with vultr in a production environment.

You can get solid RAID10 from other providers (e.g., Ramnode) who also don't mask the CPU like Vultr.

Thanked by 1sysamy
  • jamjam Member

vultr have auto backup and snapshots feature, with this you probably go fine, i guess..

Thanked by 1sysamy
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rm_ said: Also I would personally stay far far away due to the $2.50 plan bait-and-switch scheme scam.

rm_ said: not trying to scam people into paying, showing them a $2.5 carrot [which you can't actually get].

sysamy said: Does anyone have any experience with vultr in a production environment

There is no definition of "production". The question is what do you need...if you explain more, you'll get a better answer.

DO, Linode, Ramnode, Vultr - I wouldn't trust any of them for what I call production. I want someone to answer the phone at 2am when my server has been down for 5 minutes, and I want to hear they're working on it and falling over themselves with apologies, executing staff, and begging me to stay. You can get that some places, but not from mid-tier mass-market providers.

That said, I've had an excellent experience with all four mentioned. They do have different feature sets.

Now I'm going to go and rename my $2.50 Vultr hostname to rm_

Thanked by 5Lee Kris Xei danninov sysamy
  • LeeLee Veteran

I just use them for testing, honestly believe RAID0 is what they use. But for $2.50 it serves it purpose and gives me everything I need to quickly deploy tests. For production I will stick with DO, they have proven themselves, to me at least.

Thanked by 1sysamy
  • jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited May 2017

raindog308 said: DO, Linode, Ramnode, Vultr - I wouldn't trust any of them for what I call production. I want someone to answer the phone at 2am when my server has been down for 5 minutes, and I want to hear they're working on it and falling over themselves with apologies, executing staff, and begging me to stay.

Why would you want to hear an L1 regurgitate "our sysadmins are working on it" ? Even better if they speak your language and know wtf they are talking about?

I know from experience that Linode and Ramnode take care of business when business is down - I have no such experience with Vultr or DO really (negative or positive).

@DaveA should still man up, hit the bottle and face LET about these spurious RAID? allegations though. We need to hear it from the man himself.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jiggawattz said:

raindog308 said: DO, Linode, Ramnode, Vultr - I wouldn't trust any of them for what I call production. I want someone to answer the phone at 2am when my server has been down for 5 minutes, and I want to hear they're working on it and falling over themselves with apologies, executing staff, and begging me to stay.

Why would you want to hear an L1 regurgitate "our sysadmins are working on it" ? Even better if they speak your language and know wtf they are talking about?

Who said L1? Who said techs, actually...If I'm down and have to call, I'm already pissed a senior executive didn't call me with an action plan.

To be clear, in this scenario there's no LEB provider who qualifies. But I'm illustrating that the idea of "production" is very broad.

Thanked by 1pluush
  • k0nslk0nsl Member
    edited May 2017

I used Vultr in production for my IRC network, but I got rather fed up with a certain person there, so I just left -- not that I needed support much at all, but still...

It was a decent service and it worked fine when I used it.

[EDIT: Fixed crappy grammar.]

Thanked by 1sysamy
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

Yep it's pretty good, keep an offsite backup and pay for their automated backups and you have no worries.

I don't really care what type of storage they use, it works and I have backups, it is so cheap that you can just have a failover running anyway 24x7.

Name a host that has never lost data on a storage array that is not using a SAN? they are hosts at the end of the day, they don't invent their own hardware.

Do/Vultr/Linode are pretty much identical in my eyes now, if you want the poor man's version of that then use OVH, it works just as well but when/if something goes wrong don't expect a response even the same day.

Thanked by 2sin sysamy
  • didtavdidtav Member

Snapshot feature of vultr is free, linode limit snapshot max 2 GB.

Thanked by 1sysamy
  • sinsin Member
    edited May 2017

I've had nothing but great experiences with VULTR and their NJ location. Nice features, good prices, great uptime, and I've only had to contact support once or twice a long time ago (they were friendly and fixed the issue quickly - the 1st issue was I had snapshots stuck and I'm not sure what the other issue was that they fixed for me).

Just like with any other provider - keep good backups/have a restore plan.

Thanked by 1sysamy
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran

I use Vultr for production usage but the Vultr VPSes are part of a 32+ VPS load balanced geodns cluster across 16+ web hosts. So not too concerned with downtime or backups as I can rebuild and repopulate a new spinned up VPS fairly easily on Vultr or 16 other web hosts.

Great that Vultr latest 2.4Ghz cpus are performing better than older 2.4Ghz https://community.centminmod.com/threads/kvm-vps-benchmarks-5-month-digitalocean-vs-vultr-vs-linode.10437/ though Vultr disk I/O or ram bandwidth still ain't near Linode or Digitalocean. Though Vultr network at some locations is very very good.

As already mentioned, keep off site backups and frequent backups of your own and you would be fine.

Thanked by 1sysamy
  • corbpiecorbpie Member

I do, i own youtube and run it of a $2.50 node in New Jersey boys

• In my work i use Linode in production and has been a really good experience (minor outages, 3 years).

Now Im using Vultr for personal projects, but I dont know would be in the future. Now is working good ;). Support is really fast.

Thanked by 1sysamy
  • jlayjlay Member

Use a load balanced setup that spans DCs and you're on your way to a fairly reliable setup even on the worst of providers. The hardest part is making MySQL HA.

Thanked by 1sysamy
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@jlay said:
    Use a load balanced setup that spans DCs and you're on your way to a fairly reliable setup even on the worst of providers. The hardest part is making MySQL HA.

MariaDB

• XeiXei Member
    edited May 2017

They're the best provider in the US for the price point IMO. I think DO is at a very similar level but I get the best peering via Vultr, Vultr seemed to perform slightly faster on tasks but mostly negligible I think. Ramnode is great, haven't stress tested them but I don't think I could include them among Vultr/DO. No experience with Linode.

Thanked by 1sysamy
  • DH22DH22 Member

I would never use Vultr for production.

• praveenpraveen Member

I m using .. didn't face any issues from last 2 years.. happy with them..

Thanked by 1sysamy