Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has the SolusVM exploit dampened the rate of new offers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

rchurchrchurch Member
edited June 2013 in Providers

Comments

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2013

Yes because of some reasons:

1. Your customer pay money for vps+control panel but you stop access to control panel for a 1 or 2 week and they will think you are doing a fraud or you are a bad provider.

2. Many of providers disturbed and they waste their important time in restoring vps or closing access to control panel and replying to tickets(control panel related tickets) :(

3. I am sure some of new customers open a dispute If they find control panel is down ;)

4. If I am your customer then I will not go with you If you even take down control panel for more then 24 hours or 36 hours.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2013

@rchurch said:
    Has editing of posts been disabled?

No ;)

• AdducAdduc Member

Some of the summer hosts who may have been preparing their launch may have backed down after seeing established providers affected by SolusVM vulnerabilities. It didn't help that the LET hack and subsequent downtime split the community.

• Probably providers didn't want to risk getting new clients when all the solus proverbial was hitting the fan.

Now that that is over (?), hopefully we will start to see some new LEB offers, rather than 2GB RAM blah, blah

• @asterisk14 said:
    Probably providers didn't want to risk getting new clients when all the solus proverbial was hitting the fan.

Now that that is over (?), hopefully we will start to see some new LEB offers, rather than 2GB RAM blah, blah

Considering that the security audit is still on going and there are still issues, I doubt it's over yet - I hope so though.

• Have any providers actually re-enabled SolusVM yet? I'm surprised BuyVM hasn't been making some offers recently to snap up a lot of customers, since they use Stallion. Same with any other providers not using SolusVM.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2013

@Magiobiwan said:
    Have any providers actually re-enabled SolusVM yet? I'm surprised BuyVM hasn't been making some offers recently to snap up a lot of customers, since they use Stallion. Same with any other providers not using SolusVM.

Remember, we don't compete on price like most of the other providers. There's many people that will accept getting wiped to save a few bucks.

Don't worry, Stallion 2's release is this week, pony willing, and that's when the fun begins :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1SplitIce
  • DeanDean Member

@Magiobiwan said:
    Have any providers actually re-enabled SolusVM yet?

I think about 80% of the ones I use have.

• @francisco - will you start licensing Stallion 2?

• @finlandvps said:
    francisco - will you start licensing Stallion 2?

He said like @infinity amount of time, he will not license stallion.

• Yeh, sorry for the tag @ininity :P couldn't resist the pun.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @DeanClinton said:
    I think about 80% of the ones I use have.

Will Hosting, Frontrange, Raidlogic, VersatileIT's SolusVM are up. UGVPS has been down since the attack.

Of course, Backupsy and BlueVM Feathur have always been up.

• @seriesn said:
    Yeh, sorry for the tag ininity :P couldn't resist the pun.

Would have been apt if his name was 'infinite'!

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • RamNode: SolusVM Access Temporarily Limited

• DeanDean Member
    edited July 2013

The providers I use:

Solus Up: 10

Solus Down: 6

@finlandvps said:
    francisco - will you start licensing Stallion 2?

Not interested. I've had countless offers as well as one datacenter wanting to buy a site license for a very large sum of cash.

Francisco

• @francisco - are you making enough money now with buyvm then if you dont want to make more cash :)

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@finlandvps Generally you don't give your competitive advantage to your competitors...

@trewq said:
    finlandvps Generally you don't give your competitive advantage to your competitors...

Right :)

BuyVM makes a ton of cash and even if it didn't I still wouldn't sell the panel.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: stuff

What if someone actually showed up to your house with a pony? Would you then license them v2?

• Our SolusVM is up. :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@trewq said:
    finlandvps Generally you don't give your competitive advantage to your competitors...

Not to mention that if anyone will see the code, the exploits will be made public and any advantage will be lost.

Solusvm was using code obfuscation and that is a very bad idea since it can be decrypted really easy, but if your code can be seen only by your people, the risk for it to become public is much lower.

Security through obscurity can work in some cases, until there is some php, nginx, kernel, whatever exploit that will make a leak possible.

After that, most security holes will be found and nobody can write perfect code, only OS can benefit from a lot of reviewing and ironing out the bugs, as well as fast disclosure and patching. The more widely used, the more secure and bug-free, but, as I said, nothing is bullet-proof.

• We've had solus back up for a few days now.