Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wholesaleinternet/Nocix - Web console?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wholesaleinternet/Nocix - Web console?

emghemgh Member

Hey,

I was a customer at there, i as quite happy with both of them. However, it was a long time ago and i forgot how the control panel looked & what features it had. Simple question: Do they offer a console? Can i for example install LXDE Minimal without any remote desktop program & just access it quickly through their web console? Just like i can with Vultr?

Thanks.

Thanked by 1Zshen

Comments

• alexnjhalexnjh Member

Your looking for IPMI/KVMoIP i presume?

• emghemgh Member
    edited May 2017

@masterqqq said:
    Your looking for IPMI/KVMoIP i presume?

Anything that i can just open online & see the LXDE instead of the normal SSH. Like Vultr.

• If you have an available IP, they can hook you up with a IPMI / KVM for 24 hours (and you can extend it if you want.)

• emghemgh Member

@PrestigeWS said:
    If you have an available IP, they can hook you up with a IPMI / KVM for 24 hours (and you can extend it if you want.)

So in short it's not really as user friendly as Online.net or Vultr where you just have to press a button and you're set?

• @emgh said:

@PrestigeWS said:
    If you have an available IP, they can hook you up with a IPMI / KVM for 24 hours (and you can extend it if you want.)

So in short it's not really as user friendly as Online.net or Vultr where you just have to press a button and you're set?

When I was using Nocix (back then it was called DataShack), thats how you would request an IPMI (using support). Not sure if it changed now or if its still the same.

• @emgh said:

@PrestigeWS said:

For the price they charge, you ain't getting dedicated IPMI/KVMoIP access :P

• emghemgh Member

@doghouch said:

@emgh said:

@PrestigeWS said:

If i remember correctly, Online.net has such a system, Vultr does too. Those aren't high end brands, Online isn't more expensive then Wholesale, as least not by much.

• @emgh said:

@doghouch said:

@emgh said:

@PrestigeWS said:

If i remember correctly, Online.net has such a system, Vultr does too. Those aren't high end brands, Online isn't more expensive then Wholesale, as least not by much.

Vultr uses VPS which is easier to provide a console. Online.net uses hardware with built in IPMI with console. WSI does not. Why do you think you can get a Dedi for $5 there?

• emghemgh Member

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@emgh said:

@doghouch said:

@emgh said:

@PrestigeWS said:

Vultr uses VPS which is easier to provide a console. Online.net uses hardware with built in IPMI with console. WSI does not. Why do you think you can get a Dedi for $5 there?

Is $5 a metaphor? Or you actually havee a five dollar offer? I haven't looked at the offer section.

• My bad $10/mo dedis. They will offer a temporary Console upon request why are you unable to use solutions such as Teamviewer VNC or RDP?

• Nocix/Wholesale offer KVM console for 4 hours (thats what support told me, probably you can extend this). I asked them for console access few weeks ago. I was waiting... something like 24 hours for this console access so its not customer friendly.

When it comes to online.net - yea, they are more profesionall, because most servers have KVM/IPMI. All my 25 and 29 euro online.net servers have permanent KVM/IPMI.

• emghemgh Member

@dodheimsgard said:
    Nocix/Wholesale offer KVM console for 4 hours (thats what support told me, probably you can extend this). I asked them for console access few weeks ago. I was waiting... something like 24 hours for this console access so its not customer friendly.

When it comes to online.net - yea, they are more profesionall, because most servers have KVM/IPMI. All my 25 and 29 euro online.net servers have permanent KVM/IPMI.

I'll probably go with Wholesale either way, Online.net is around the same when it comes to specs/price, but the difference i see is that Online has a 60 Euro setup fee on their "START LTS" Family. That makes the setup fees for my 2 servers 120 Euro, feels kind of weird.

• dodheimsgarddodheimsgard Member
    edited May 2017

@emgh
    I have two Xeon 1230v3, 32gigs of ram, 2x1tb dedis i want to cancel (each 25 euros a month) + Xeon 1230v3, 32gigs ram 2x120gb ssd @29 euros a month. Let me know if you want them ;)
    P.S. All servers in online.net DC, all have KVM/IPMI

• emghemgh Member

@dodheimsgard said:
    @emgh
    I have two Xeon 1230v3, 32gigs of ram, 2x1tb dedis i want to cancel (each 25 euros a month) + Xeon 1230v3, 32gigs ram 2x120gb ssd @29 euros a month. Let me know if you want them ;)

Can you transfer servers on their website?

• @emgh said:

@dodheimsgard said:
    @emgh

Nope

• emghemgh Member

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@emgh said:

@dodheimsgard said:
    @emgh

Nope

How did he want to sell me the servers then lol

• @emgh said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@emgh said:

@dodheimsgard said:
    @emgh

Nope

How did he want to sell me the servers then lol

He can outsource them where you pay him and he pays the bill. He will probably ask 20 euro deposit per server incase you want to install windows on them

• I was hoping i can transfer these servers. Looks like its not possible. Sorry for mess.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@emgh you're comparing apples to oranges.

Dedicated Server at Wholesale Internet vs VPS at Vultr... It's a completely different way (and cost) of handling that. Wholesale Internet has some very cheap prices so heaving a Dedicated KVM over IP hooked up to your server might not be an option. Easier if the server has IPMI built in - but still costs [port, cabling, etc] + it's not advisable to put it out there on a public IP - I've seen entire datacentres being shutdown because of that.

• emghemgh Member

@Clouvider said:

Dedicated Server at Wholesale Internet vs VPS at Vultr... It's a completely different way (and cost) of handling that. Wholesale Internet has some very cheap prices so heaving a Dedicated KVM over IP hooked up to your server might not be an option. Easier if the server has IPMI built in - but still costs [port, cabling, etc] + it's not advisable to put it out there on a public IP - I've seen entire datacentres being shutdown because of that.

Sure, but you can still look at it from this point: I'm hosting a few projects, where do i get the most bang for my buck?
    Sure, some providers have reasons for not offering something, but in the end - dosen't matter. With one provider i'm getting it, with the other im not.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@emgh said:

@Clouvider said:

Sure, but you can still look at it from this point: I'm hosting a few projects, where do i get the most bang for my buck?
    Sure, some providers have reasons for not offering something, but in the end - dosen't matter. With one provider i'm getting it, with the other im not.

It does matter. They are not selling you a solution. They are selling you a server. You chose to go bare metal, rather than virtual. It has advantages (among others performance, cheaper per resource cost, etc) but also disadvantages (like the console being physical not a software graphic card exporting to VNC). You can't cherry pick the good stuff, mix and match, and expect to continue to pay pennies.

• emghemgh Member

@Clouvider said:

@emgh said:

@Clouvider said:

It does matter. They are not selling you a solution. They are selling you a server. You chose to go bare metal, rather than virtual. It has advantages (among others performance, cheaper per resource cost, etc) but also disadvantages (like the console being physical not a software graphic card exporting to VNC). You can't cherry pick the good stuff, mix and match, and expect to continue to pay pennies.

I guess going with Online would be just that.

Thanked by 1Yura