Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOPA Strike
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SOPA Strike

InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
edited January 2012 in General

Anyone going on SOPA strike tomorrow?

< script type="text/javascript" >  var a=new Date,b=a.getHours()+a.getTimezoneOffset()/60;if(18==a.getDate()&&0==a.getMonth()&&2012==a.getFullYear()&&13<=b&&24>=b)window.location="http://sopastrike.com/strike";< /script >

Comments

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited January 2012

We will be. (Turning our site black, not off)

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • I'll take part with a few web projects.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @BlueVM said: We will be.

Might want to leave your support system and billing area stuff up.

• I think our users have endured enough downtime on our behalf this month, else we'd be all over it. I'm proud? (not sure of the correct word here) that english Wikipedia and reddit are going to be offline.

• What's the point? It won't change anything

Thanked by 1Naruto
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

@vedran said: What's the point? It won't change anything

imho. it's always point in expressing disagreement with something what you consider as wrong instead passively accept it.

Thanked by 1mrm2005
  • @Naruto - I meant we'll be changing our background color to black for the day. (About 1/2 of the internet will be turning black, the other 1/8 will go offline and the rest will do nothing)... (personal estimate only)

• @BlueVM said: I meant we'll be changing our background color to black for the day.

Oh so tomorrow your page will look like this?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

• @Naruto said: Oh so tomorrow your page will look like this?

HAH. You sir, just made my night with that :P

• @vedran said: What's the point? It won't change anything

What a naively retarded view, "anything" is a huge field of play.
    So here's what it will change, the amount of people aware of SOPA.

SOPA will go from being the issue talked by a minority, to an issue that at least for 48 hours will be at the forefront of the news.

• @Joel said: What a naively retarded view

oh u

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

We're withholding stock over the SOPA vote. Those wishing for stock may take it up with their members of congress.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: We're withholding stock over the SOPA vote. Those wishing for stock may take it up with their members of congress.

Convenient.

Also, I Googled "setup mail server" and the clicked first link and got ticked off.

• @Francisco So you been protesting since October? ;)

• @premiso said: @Francisco So you been protesting since October? ;)

Fran takes protesting seriously.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@kalam said: Fran takes protesting seriously.

And hockey riots.

:3

Francisco

• Blackstorm72Blackstorm72 Member
    edited January 2012

Wikipedia is doing a full blackout in about 1 hour.
    EDIT: English-Wikipedia Section.

Have your Google Translate ready!

• NarutoNaruto Member
    edited January 2012

Let the big sites do it. Nobody cares about the little sites. The little sites are just trying to act cool. They should use that time to become more popular for being there when the other dorks weren't.

EDIT: I looked at http://my.up2vps.com/announcements.php and I was wondering... do you guys think that's really a new CEO or the same guy? I think they type the same.

• Isn't taking down the English portion of Wikipedia unfair to the other countries in the world that speak English and aren't affected (directly) by SOPA?

• Our non-US, English speaking clients that aren't weren't affected by SOPA would find it unfair to have services like ours restricted or shutdown, and be forced to find alternative hosting once the US-based providers start feeling the heat.

• @Kairus said: Isn't taking down the English portion of Wikipedia unfair to the other countries in the world that speak English and aren't affected (directly) by SOPA?

It's about receiving global awareness, not just in the US.
    If something like this passes in the US, then it's only a matter of time before 'big brother' pressures the rest of the world to follow... (http://bit.ly/AsxcrI)

Thanked by 1mrm2005
  • It has begun on Wikipedia.

E for reference lol en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E

• premisopremiso Member
    edited January 2012

@Naruto said: The little sites are just trying to act cool.

I doubt that. The little sites agree with the big sites those bills are bullshit and do more harm than good. Even if they get little traffic, that's more people who might get themselves informed and contact their reps. Especially since little sites can have revenue coming in from their site and if they, like me, shut down their site they will lose that days revenue, but they saw it fit for the greater good.

• Apparently a newsboard found out how to possibly shed in some 'light' with wikipedia.

As the page loads, if you time it just right, hit ESC. It will prevent the blackout on wikipedia. So if you students really need to do some research - better play video games with catlike reflexes. (probably not entirely required...)

Source: ndtv.com/article/world/wikipedia-blackout-lets-in-some-light-168086

• JoelJoel Member
    edited January 2012

@Naruto said: The little sites are just trying to act cool.

I disagree. If all the "little sites" were to band together, and blackout on the same day it would be as equally effective. The issue is not "the little guy being cool" rather being able to organise "the little guys" to act as one body. In this instance, Wikipedia has the ability to do that with general consensus.

Getting the "soccer mums" to passionately protest and hit the news may not be such a bad thing. It's the "professional protestors" and those who give a shit about their freedom that government ignores. It will bend backwards when general mum/dad starts arcing up over issues.

The changes happening and the whole "Arab Spring" wasn't brought around by a group of freedom fighters and professional protestors. These guys had been protesting for years, and either ignored or shot. The changes happened when mum/dad at home had enough, and enough of them had been pushed to their limits and finally did something about it as a collective whole.

Thanked by 3djvdorp jamson mrm2005
  • While the only real fight would be unbuild any kind of central power, these few black websites only prove that any north american group can hope to do whatever they want!!!

Next time you want to build a fight, give access to everything for everybody!

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I noticed a lot of the sites that said they were going to blackout didn't and some are only doing it for a few hours today. Kind of sad to publicly announce you are and then 4 hours into the blackout on a few on the "confirmed list" have actually put something (some just a banner, some completely blacked out like Minecraft.net).

Had I not been insanely busy all weekend I would have done something. At the very least everybody should go to Google and add your name to the 3+ million who already signed their petition.

• @Aldryic said: Our non-US, English speaking clients that aren't weren't affected by SOPA would find it unfair to have services like ours restricted or shutdown, and be forced to find alternative hosting once the US-based providers start feeling the heat.

I've already moved all my servers that were in the US to Europe.

Its a bit unfair that the Wikipedia blackout is affecting us over here, the SOPA/PIPA law has no effect on us and we're one of the larger users of the English Wikipedia.

You can still access Wikipedia Mobile, http://en.m.wikipedia.org/ and you can also access the desktop version if you disable Javascript.

• @Blackstorm72 said: So if you students really need to do some research

You should know Wiki isn't an allowed source for students ;) (especially at university level).

Thanked by 2tux mrm2005
  • @Daniel said: Its a bit unfair that the Wikipedia blackout is affecting us over here, the SOPA/PIPA law has no effect on us and we're one of the larger users of the English Wikipedia.

So you think because you're in Europe SOPA won't affect you?

@miTgiB quoted this appropriate saying...

@miTgiB said: First they came for the communists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Thanked by 2djvdorp mrm2005