Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much can I divide this dedicated server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much can I divide this dedicated server?

Hi, I'm planing to buy this server from Contabo to create my own windows VPS company:
Intel Xeon E5 2630v4 (20 x 2.20 GHz), 256 GB REG ECC RAM, Storage: As I need.
Just I want to know how that server can be divided? and what about 256 VPSs is that possible?

Thanks

Comments

• teamaccteamacc Member

Summer is coming...

Thanked by 2Ympker TheRealMakan
  • exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

If you have no idea how virtualization works, perhaps you should try reseller packages instead.

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

@LAVAL said:
    Hi, I'm planing to buy this server from Contabo to create my own windows VPS company:
    Just I want to know how that server can be divided? and what about 256 VPSs is that possible?

Thanks

Well, for a start, buy that server, then clone 256x windows VPS on it and test out the performance. Budget in some r&d cost to test things out and tune the numbers from there. Dont expect to buy a server, fill it up with 256x vms and start making money the first month :P

• cociucociu Member

LAVAL said: and what about 256 VPSs is that possible?

lol ...

Thanked by 1pike
  • LAVALLAVAL Member

hhhhh okay I got it guys! that's not possible to be :( so how much can be I just need a specific answer

• @LAVAL, your question alone is enough to show that you are not experienced enough to start this particular business. Please just stop and learn more before even attempting to enter this market.

Point 1: Your dedicated server only has 256GB RAM so 256 VPSs (with 1GB RAM each) will leave no memory for your host OS or hypervisor.

Point 2: 256 VPS on 20 threads leads us to almost 13 VPS per single thread! Once again, this is not even calculating any Ghz for the host OS or hypervisor.

I could continue but I'll stop there.

Just please don't! Learn more before making the leap.

Thanked by 1LAVAL

@LAVAL said:
    hhhhh okay I got it guys! that's not possible to be :( so how much can be I just need a specific answer

No one can give you an exact magic number. Too many factors involved, spend some money and try it yourself.

• LAVALLAVAL Member

@Dextronox said:

You know what? Your are so lazy to help someone here!

• LAVALLAVAL Member

@BeardyUnixGuy said:
    @LAVAL, your question alone is enough to show that you are not experienced enough to start this particular business. Please just stop and learn more before even attempting to enter this market.

Point 1: Your dedicated server only has 256GB RAM so 256 VPSs (with 1GB RAM each) will leave no memory for your host OS or hypervisor.

Point 2: 256 VPS on 20 threads leads us to almost 13 VPS per single thread! Once again, this is not even calculating any Ghz for the host OS or hypervisor.

hhhhhh I really forgot that, and where can I learn about that specifically?

Thanks

• teamaccteamacc Member

@LAVAL said:

@Dextronox said:

You know what? Your are so lazy to help someone here!

You know what? You are so lazy to actually spend time on something that you want to turn into a business.

• @LAVAL said:

@BeardyUnixGuy said:
    @LAVAL, your question alone is enough to show that you are not experienced enough to start this particular business. Please just stop and learn more before even attempting to enter this market.

hhhhhh I really forgot that, and where can I learn about that specifically?

Thanks

Google and experience

Thanked by 1LAVAL
  • LAVAL said: where can I learn about that specifically?

Most of the guys here would likely suggest that you work as a techie for a hosting/VPS company. That way, you get a feel for the business and learn how an established company does things (in a manner that works).

Thanked by 1LAVAL
  • Sigh... Rule 1: Dont ask before you try.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@LAVAL said:

Thanks

Also please take into consideration your storage... I have read posts from providers that say that the most limiting factor is usually the storage performance when you put too much vps on a single server. If I were to make an intelligent guess, I would say those specs would allow you to push about 40 to 60 vps if the conditions are right. You would be overselling 1 cpu thread per 3 vps if you reach 60 vpses...which might cause a slowdown if you have abusers... you'll really have to do a test first to see how it handles since I am no position to say otherwise

Thanked by 1LAVAL
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@LAVAL, do you have the server yet? If yes, try it! If not, TRY IT! If you cant be bothered to test and learn fir yourself, it doesnt bode well for the future.

• 512Mb RAM *256 VPS
    no problem

@Pusehost said:
    512Mb RAM *256 VPS
    no problem

Disk IO kills you with 256 VPS

• @LAVAL said:

Thanks

notasummer.host

Register this and orders will POUR in.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • YuraYura Member

I think he already bought a .com at Godaddy so backing out is not an option anymore, don't try to discourage him. Investments, you have to protect your investments.

Thanked by 3raindog308 LAVAL Pwner
    edited May 2017

@doghouch said:

@LAVAL said:

Thanks

notasummer.host

Well, its still available for $109.99/Year :)

https://who.is/whois/notasummer.host

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • @vmhaus said:

BARGAIN

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • @vmhaus said:

@doghouch said:

@LAVAL said:

Thanks

notasummer.host

Any idea where I can get it for just 3 months? Only need it over summer holidays

Thanked by 3MasonR sanvit PremiumN
  • Also, grant everyone the 1gbps UNMETERED FULL DUPLEX connection 24/7! Servers at Contabo offer this, after all! And everybody is idling these servers anyway, but just in case buy another cheap server but with 1gbps, and put this one in looking glass-site, then everyone can convince himself that 1gbps are delivered, for all 256 vps', always.

Thanked by 1drizbo
  • FalzoFalzo Member

don't forget about 256 windows licenses.. I'll expect those included at LET pricing.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@vmhaus said:

@doghouch said:

@LAVAL said:

Thanks

notasummer.host

Any idea where I can get it for just 3 months? Only need it over summer holidays

You can get JustAnotherSummer.host for $49.99! What a steal!

http://domains.get.host/domain-registration/index.php?action=check_availability&txtDomainName=JustAnotherSummer.host&tld[]=host&none

• you could hire professional to do this job :)

Thanked by 1LAVAL
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

randvegeta said: @LAVAL, do you have the server yet? If yes, try it! If not, TRY IT! If you cant be bothered to test and learn fir yourself, it doesnt bode well for the future.

But he needs to sign up people by end of month to pay the server bill for next month...

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • LAVALLAVAL Member

@chocolateshirt said:
    you could hire professional to do this job :)

I prefer to do that myself.

• @LAVAL said:

@chocolateshirt said:
    you could hire professional to do this job :)

I prefer to do that myself.

Try to install proxmox or solusvm and create 512mb ram vps as much as you can and monitor the resource usage

Thanked by 1LAVAL