Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

plex on a nat vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

plex on a nat vps

eloftyelofty Member

Does anyone know how to get plex to work remotely on a nat vps? I tried using one of the allocated ports but it cant get through :(

Comments

• Plex on a NAT VPS is not recommended, simply because a NAT vps is usually dirty cheap and they won't let you burn a lot of traffic/CPU on streaming/transcoding and ur vps is going to be suspended in a nanosecond.

Thanked by 2gestiondbi ucxo
  • Lol he's going to transcode on a poor NAT box

Thanked by 1WSS
  • I think one of the plex servers I access may be hosted on a NAT, it will not transcode at all in plex app and says that the server does not have the power to transcode when I want to watch something on it. so it must be a weak server, however, I used kodi for this server and it works fine as kodi can play more than plex player app, so he may not need to transcode if his media is already in a good container or using kodi player.

It is interesting , let us know how you get on.

• DamianDamian Member

asterisk14 said: so it must be a weak server, however, I used kodi for this server and it works fine as kodi

They've likely disabled transcoding and are forcing you to use a better client that can direct stream more formats/codecs, like Kodi.

• I think he means the Wishosting 1TB NAT with 1 i7 dedicated core?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Give me whatever you pay for that NAT and I will let you into LetFLIX

Thanked by 1erkin
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@pbgben said:

Invite plz.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited May 2017

@pbgben said:

LetFLIX is a real thing?

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2017

Nekki said: LetFLIX is a real thing?

Boy, it is! I have seen things there...

• BochiBochi Member

I have my Plex server running on a NATed VPS running on a dedicated server and have no problems at all.
    Could you be a bit more specific about the problem you got and maybe post some logs?

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I dont think any providers would allow transcoding on those cheap NAT VPSes, cpu loads will instantly skyrocket. DirectSync should be fine since is uses almost minimal CPU.

• BochiBochi Member

@vmhaus said:
    I dont think any providers would allow transcoding on those cheap NAT VPSes, cpu loads will instantly skyrocket. DirectSync should be fine since is uses almost minimal CPU.

I agree with that, but as I said: Don't forget that someone could as well have a NAT VPS running on his own dedicated machine and therefore be allowed to trash that CPU as hard as one likes to. :D

Thanked by 2vmhaus imok
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@Harambe said:

@pbgben said:

Invite plz.

Plz invite me too :)

• eloftyelofty Member

no plans to transcode, just looking to get it accessible by a plex app rather than using the web interface. When I try and enable the remote access it keeps failing,

• BochiBochi Member

@elofty said:
    no plans to transcode, just looking to get it accessible by a plex app rather than using the web interface. When I try and enable the remote access it keeps failing,

So I guess you already selected "manually specify public port" in the backend (Settings>Server>Remote Access) and set it so your desired port?

• eloftyelofty Member

yup, tried the usuals 32401 32400 etc and tried the ports assigned to me by the host, all seems to fail. I notice plex shows up on my firestick as the internal ip rather than external facing so not sure if theres some kind of config thats wrong but there's nowhere to specify that in the web ui.

• BochiBochi Member

Well, so I assume on the "Remote Access" page it shows the correct route from private over public to the internet?
    I once set my Plex app to manual IP (local) on the TV, took me long to find the error...could that be the case with your setup?

• eloftyelofty Member

@Bochi said:
    Well, so I assume on the "Remote Access" page it shows the correct route from private over public to the internet?
    I once set my Plex app to manual IP (local) on the TV, took me long to find the error...could that be the case with your setup?

The Path looks ok 192.168.100.10 : 32400 Public 5.9.XXX.XX8 : 501XX

• @Nekki said:

@pbgben said:

LetFLIX is a real thing?

Yeah, just hop on Discord for an invite.

Thanked by 1Jinx
  • eloftyelofty Member

@maldovia said:

@Nekki said:

@pbgben said:

LetFLIX is a real thing?

Is there a special room/user to ask?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@maldovia said:

@Nekki said:

@pbgben said:

LetFLIX is a real thing?

Pass.

• BochiBochi Member

@elofty said:

@Bochi said:

The Path looks ok 192.168.100.10 : 32400 Public 5.9.XXX.XX8 : 501XX

Ok, that seems about correct...
    So I assume the Plex server above still says "Not available outside your network"?

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@maldovia said:

@Nekki said:

@pbgben said:

LetFLIX is a real thing?

Lol, good try :)

• eloftyelofty Member

ooo got it working, just used a proxy ip address straight onto the plex on the firestick

• @elofty said:
    ooo got it working, just used a proxy ip address straight onto the plex on the firestick

can you elaborate your setup for proxy IP on the server/firestick?

• add the server manually on the plex device.

Thanked by 1jamuja
  • painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited December 2017

@jamuja said:

@elofty said:

can you elaborate your setup for proxy IP on the server/firestick?

No "elaborate" allowed @ LET, if you need more then "got it working"

go to tech school and become a system admin..lol

• let me know if you want it testing after setting it up, I'm looking for a plex share.

• I'm not convinced that Plex's remote access check is particularly reliable.

• @dragon2611 said:
    I'm not convinced that Plex's remote access check is particularly reliable.

It doesnt work on a nat vps. you have to manually add the server ip to each plex client