Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computing Server for 1 week
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Computing Server for 1 week

thistlethistle Member
edited May 2017 in Requests

I need a very powerful dedicated server to use in the next week I have a budget of £20 for 7 days usage I need as much computing power for a machine learning project. It needs at least 10GB SSD storage 100mbit/s or less bandwidth and be as powerful as possible. Please post the results of running: python -m timeit '"-".join(str(n) for n in range(100))' on the command line.

Also please do not post if it is any greater than 15 seconds as I already have a server that can do that.

Comments

• FredQcFredQc Member

Wholesaleinternet with hourly servers and OVH comes to mind.

• ehabehab Member

you mean if its >15 seconds its slow?

• thistlethistle Member
    edited May 2017

@FredQc said:
    Wholesaleinternet with hourly servers and OVH comes to mind.

Thanks but I posted on here to get the results before purchasing. I also need it for a week only.

• thistlethistle Member

@ehab said:
    you mean if its >15 seconds its slow?

yes

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@FredQc said:
    Wholesaleinternet with hourly servers

?

• thistlethistle Member

I was hoping I could get cheaper with a hell of a lot less storage, more cpu and less bandwidth!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Vultr dedicated hourly price is right up your alley. Can't test for you right now but figured I'd bring it up.

• ehabehab Member

also scaleway.com maybe try hourly options first.

• FredQcFredQc Member
    edited May 2017

@jarland said:

@FredQc said:

?

https://my.wholesaleinternet.net/?clientapp=launch_hourly_servers

I7-3700 120gb SSD + 2TB Preconfigured $0.07/hour

Thanked by 1jar
  • thistlethistle Member

@FredQc said:

@jarland said:

@FredQc said:

?

You have to log in

• FredQcFredQc Member

thistle said: You have to log in

FYI, you can create an account without buying an actual server.

• @thistle said:

@FredQc said:

@jarland said:

@FredQc said:

?

You have to log in

http://i.imgur.com/QhmVGc0.png

Thanked by 3FredQc corbpie bersy
  • thistlethistle Member

Would you be able to get results of the python command?

• edited May 2017

@thistle said:

Ummm I'll spin up the i7 if you want

Edit: WSI rejected card :(

• dwtbfdwtbf Member

@thistle said:

It costs 0.07, don't tell me thats too expensive....

• The i7 did

root@s109496:~# python -m timeit '"-".join(str(n) for n in range(100))'
    100000 loops, best of 3: 13.5 usec per loop
    root@s109496:~#

Want me to test any others?

• williewillie Member

On my Hetzner i7-3770, that benchmark took about 5.7 seconds. Obviously it's a single core test on a 4 core machine. If it helps, there are hourly GPU instances available at paperspace.com. I don't know if that would be more cost effective for your project. They are much more expensive than normal dedis.

• thistlethistle Member
    edited May 2017

@willie said:
    On my Hetzner i7-3770, that benchmark took about 5.7 seconds. Obviously it's a single core test on a 4 core machine. If it helps, there are hourly GPU instances available at paperspace.com. I don't know if that would be more cost effective for your project. They are much more expensive than normal dedis.

Wowzers how much is that to run every hour? I also am not sure how to run sklearn commands in multiple threads!

• thistlethistle Member

@GenjiSwitchPls said:
    The i7 did

root@s109496:~# python -m timeit '"-".join(str(n) for n in range(100))'
    100000 loops, best of 3: 13.5 usec per loop
    root@s109496:~#

Want me to test any others?

Is that the 0.07 per hour? Well my budget is £20 for about 4 days so that is anything under $0.27 per hour. Would you be able to find me the best for that price?

• williewillie Member

thistle said:

Wowzers how much is that to run every hour?

It's only available by the month, but machines with that cpu start around 30 euro/month inc vat:

https://robot.your-server.de/order/market/country/GB?hdsize=3000

That one has 16gb ram, 2x 3TB hard drives, but no SSD.

It's the same cpu as the WSI one for 7 cents/hour = around 50 usd/month. Disk setup is a little different.

If you do this type of thing much I think it's worth having a monthly one.

• seanhoseanho Member

You may want to profile your sklearn code on your own multiprocessor machine. Most of the underlying linear algebra ops are already parallelized by the version of BLAS linked. Many higher-level machine learning functions are parallelized, too. And of course a lot of tasks in machine learning are embarrassingly parallel, e.g., cross-validation, random forests and other ensemble methods, etc.

Thanked by 1thistle
  • thistle said: I also am not sure how to run sklearn commands in multiple threads!

If you are in college, subscribe to Continuum to get Python linked with Intel's Math Kernel Libraries (MKL). MKL will use multiple cores automatically where possible.

Alternately, you could compile Numpy/Scipy with Intel MKL or OpenBLAS. Numpy is the building block for most ML packages in Python, including SKLearn.

GPU is the real game-changer though. I don't know if SKLearn supports GPU directly, but you could link in NVidia's CUDA BLAS, for instance, to re-route BLAS requests to the GPU.

Thanked by 1thistle
  • williewillie Member

Tensorflow uses gpus directly. No idea if it does the stuff you need.

• aboanas93aboanas93 Member
    edited May 2017

@willie said:

weird, it never gets under 15.6 here, yet I have to admit that I'm running virtualbox instance.

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

This command python -m timeit '"-".join(str(n) for n in range(100))' is single threaded, while most modern processor are multiple core. Hopefully your workload is parallelized and can use multiple threads. A better test might be to use sysbench (sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 run) for a single threaded run, and sysbench (--test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=100000 --num-threads=<cpu cores>) for multiple cpu machines.

I can let you use 2 x E5-2670's for 10c / hour / each. (E5-2670, 128GB ram).

• williewillie Member

IonSwitch_Stan said:

I can let you use 2 x E5-2670's for 10c / hour / each. (E5-2670, 128GB ram).

Woah, you mean a dual E5-2670 box for 0.10/hour? I'd be interested in that: do you have them generally available?

Thanks!

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

@willie Only as batch compute nodes (think scientific data, or computationally expensive tasks). Nothing interactive (ie, web hosting, VPS, spam, scraping, etc).

• @IonSwitch_Stan said:
    @willie Only as batch compute nodes (think scientific data, or computationally expensive tasks). Nothing interactive (ie, web hosting, VPS, spam, scraping, etc).

I'll offer $7/mo if I can use them for idling

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

What am I missing ? Vultr/DO/Linode ?