Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean or Vultr in Europe?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean or Vultr in Europe?

Hello, which provider should I choose in Europe? How is uptime in Amsterdam with these 2 providers, e.g network?

Would be nice if someone could share some uptime stats.

Comments

• I use Vultr DO and Devcapsule. I have no benchmarks as I just spin up and down but all 3 are good

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran

you cant go wrong with either of them.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited May 2017

Not used Leaseweb in many years, DO and Vultr has been pretty solid both Uptime and Network.

• WickedWicked Member

@amarc said:
    Currently in NL probably Leaseweb is best bet https://www.leaseweb.com/cloud/public/virtual-server. In over 2 years I had like 3 minutes of total network glitch

Can you run a benchmark?

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • I have never used vultr, heard alot of bad reviews about this company.
    Had 3-4 servers with DO, support was good but had to move provider due to their lack in providing sla time.

• LeeLee Veteran

harel said: providing sla time.

SLA for what? They offer or claim like most to give 99.99% uptime.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

One difference to note is that of the two, only DO offers block storage in Europe (in Frankfort). Vultr is only New Jersey, and DO is only NYC, SFO2, and Frankfort, at least last time I checked.

Thanked by 1GenjiSwitchPls
  • @raindog308 said:
    One difference to note is that of the two, only DO offers block storage in Europe (in Frankfort). Vultr is only New Jersey, and DO is only NYC, SFO2, and Frankfort, at least last time I checked.

Frankfurt not Frankfort.

Thanked by 2raindog308 nik
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@harel said:
    I have never used vultr, heard alot of bad reviews about this company.
    Had 3-4 servers with DO, support was good but had to move provider due to their lack in providing sla time.

We have an uptime SLA for droplet and block storage. Possible we didn't back when you used us last.

GenjiSwitchPls said: Frankfurt not Frankfort.

Frack, every time I say that someone corrects me.

Germany should just change it, because that would be more convenient for me.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@harel said: I have never used vultr, heard alot of bad reviews about this company.

Don't believe everything you hear. There are also good reviews.

• LeeLee Veteran

angstrom said: There are also good reviews.

I use them only for testing, never had any issues at all, support has always been decent.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran

the only bad reviews I've seen on vultr are the people butthurt about not knowing the exact specifications of their servers and the $2.50 plan selling out.

You will rarely if ever see something about vultr not providing excellent performance or stability.

Thanked by 3angstrom sin Xei
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@raindog308 said:

In French, it's "Francfort", so if you can just change the "k" to "c", you'll be good to go without bothering Germany. :-)

• LeeLee Veteran

JoeMerit said: You will rarely if ever see something about vultr not providing excellent performance or stability.

I still can't forget the raid debate though :)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2017

raindog308 said: Germany should just change it, because that would be more convenient for me.

Could we agree on Frunkfart as a compromise? I understand that my people will have to accommodate you with that issue. If you are okay with the proposal, then I will discuss the name change with my fellow countrymen and am sure that the "problem" can get solved. We already renamed a city called "Hiernase" to "Dortmund", because some guy from Chile had an issue with it.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • quickquick Member

@angstrom said:

@raindog308 said:

In French, it's "Francfort", so if you can just change the "k" to "c", you'll be good to go without bothering Germany. :-)

we don't speak croissant

• AmitzAmitz Member

quick said: we don't speak croissant

Ta gueule, connard!

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • quickquick Member

@Amitz said:

quick said: we don't speak croissant

Ta gueule, connard!

Ich nehme an, dass das die neue weiße Flagge ist?

• AmitzAmitz Member

quick said: Ich nehme an, dass das die neue weiße Flagge ist?

Rote Flagge trifft es besser. ;-)

• XeiXei Member
    edited May 2017

A friend and I extensively stress our VPS's (DO/Vultr). Both are on good networks but Vultr tends to have a very slight edge overall. For NL, you can't beat Leaseweb for the bandwidth. If you are using 1TB max any of them will do. DO's NL network does not peer as well as Leaseweb. I haven't tested Vultr if they offer NL so unsure how it performs. Like the first poster said you're probably going to be hard pressed to top Leaseweb.

Amitz said: Rote Flagge

Freakin' communists.

• sinsin Member

If you're looking for an Amsterdam VPS then I agree with the people that recommend Leaseweb especially since they have a sale going on.

For just €3.96/month you can get a Leaseweb AMS KVM VPS with:

1 Core, 1GB RAM, 40GB Disk, and 4TB of their premium bandwidth @ 1Gbps and the network is great.

Otherwise I personally prefer VULTR over DO. I've always had superb uptime with VULTR along with good support (I've rarely ever had to contact their support but when I have they have been quick with fixing the issue).

Thanked by 1Xei