Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which CPU would you prefer? i3-7100, E3-1220v6 or E5-2650?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which CPU would you prefer? i3-7100, E3-1220v6 or E5-2650?

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Which of these CPUs would you prfer on a dedicated server (rental) assuming the monthly was very similar.

• The i3-7100 is only 2 cores but has Hyperthreading and a 3.9GHz clock speed.

• The E3-1220v6 has 4 cores but no HT and 3.0GHz. Clearly multi-core performance would be better than the i3 but single threaded apps may run faster on the i3.

• The E5-2650 is now around 5 years old, but still scores pretty well on benchmark tests. With 8 cores, hyper threading and clocked at 2.0Ghz, it has the best multi-core perfromance by far, but single threaded applications may not be as fast, and being a few years old, may lack some functionality present in newer CPUs.

With all that being said, if the RAM, disk and monthly rental fee was all roughly similar, which CPU would you generally prefer?

Poll not found

Comments

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
      edited May 2017

It would depend on your application... but if all the same price I'd have to take more cores over less cores, and 8 cores on the e5-2650 is the place to be!

• How much do they cost? And where do you need em?

• I'll chose E3-1220v6 for webhosting enough for db and web server

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

JustRefleX said: How much do they cost? And where do you need em?

We already have these servers. Just curious which is generally more important. More cores or better clock speed?

robohost said: I'll chose E3-1220v6 for webhosting enough for db and web server

You say it 'enough'. But does that mean the E5-2650 is not enough or is it too much?

• m3gfm3gf Member

ah...that depends on the price.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

randvegeta said: We already have these servers. Just curious which is generally more important. More cores or better clock speed?

More cores or better single thread speed. depends what one needs it for.

Thanked by 1Falzo

TarZZ92 said: depends what one needs it for.

Indeed. Both have their merits. Which is why I'm trying to see which, IN GENERAL, which people are more interested in.

m3gf said: ah...that depends on the price.

Relatively 'cheap' for HK :-). Still out of LET pricing though.

• m3gfm3gf Member

@randvegeta said:

TarZZ92 said: depends what one needs it for.

Indeed. Both have their merits. Which is why I'm trying to see which, IN GENERAL, which people are more interested in.

m3gf said: ah...that depends on the price.

Relatively 'cheap' for HK :-). Still out of LET pricing though.

check PM please:)

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

i would go for the i3 personally.

TarZZ92 said: i would go for the i3 personally.

Really? Why?

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

randvegeta said: Really? Why?

Very strong single threaded tasks.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Sign me up for an e3. The newest v6 units are very impressive.

For db heavy workloads however I'd take a dual e5, even if v1.

edited May 2017

jbiloh said: The newest v6 units are very impressive.

How do they compare to the V5 units? We just got our first batch of v6. Havent had much chance to really compare with v5 yet. On paper they look marginally better. No?

• FredQcFredQc Member

@randvegeta said:

How do they compare to the V5 units? We just got our first batch of v6. Havent had much chance to really compare with v5 yet. On paper they look marginally better. No?

http://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/2543940?baseline=473253

• WilliamWilliam Member

randvegeta said: How do they compare to the V5 units? We just got our first batch of v6. Havent had much chance to really compare with v5 yet. On paper they look marginally better. No?

Same. Kaby Lake is just a minor update because Intel likes to rip off customers.

Also, one should note that the i3 has no ECC support and the E5 is DDR3.

• LeviLevi Member

If game hosting - i3, anything else E3 (less power consumption then E5). Personaly for me i3 are very low end CPU, no matter GHz.

William said: i3 has no ECC

Since when? The i3s have always had ECC no?

Interestingly, the E3s have non-ECC support, even though they are not supposed to.

LTniger said: less power consumption then E5).

True it is less power, but not as much as you may think. I just powered up an 8 node microcloud, each loaded with 32GB RAM and 2x HDDs per node. The overall power consumption (idle) is just 480 watts! Or around 0.25 amps per node. Which is really impressive for an 8 core 5 year old E5 with a 11k benchmark result.

Actually I just plugged them all in to my separate meter so I could be 100% sure as to how much power it uses. With only 1 PSU running, the total power consumption is 1.59amps. With 2 PSU running, 1 PSU uses 0.85 amps but I don't know how much the other PSU uses as I can only measure 1 at a time.

In any case.. that's 8x E5 servers running on less than 1.6amps, which means less than 0.2 amps each! Which is really astounding.

• @randvegeta said:

V5/6 are marginally better. Remember they are the server editions of the desktop.

• WilliamWilliam Member
      edited May 2017

randvegeta said: Since when? The i3s have always had ECC no?

V5 and V6 do not anymore on consumer boards, only on Xeon boards for E3s (i think not even that) - This is an Intel chipset limitation.

• @randvegeta said:

You say it 'enough'. But does that mean the E5-2650 is not enough or is it too much?

From my experience e5-2650 with low clock speed is really slow for mysql

• williewillie Member

randvegeta said:

In any case.. that's 8x E5 servers running on less than 1.6amps, which means less than 0.2 amps each! Which is really astounding.

Of course the whole point of an E5 server is to max out the cpu... :)

According to cpubenchmark.net, a single E5-2650 is 10376 passmark, which will be a bit faster than the E3-1220v6 (maybe 8k or so). But the E5 can be part of a dual cpu system and I'd go for that if it didn't cost too much more.

• WilliamWilliam Member

randvegeta said: Interestingly, the E3s have non-ECC support, even though they are not supposed to.

They always had. I used a E3-1230 for my first i7 2nd gen build with normal RAM, the only thing back then different to an i7 was the missing iGPU (which is now covered by 12x5 CPUs).

Verified now btw - i3-6/7 do as E3 v5/v6 have ECC support; however as expected not on consumer boards (unlike eg. i3-4xxx, which has depending on BIOS) - you need a C236 chipset for that, thus a server board.

William said: They always had.

I meant the v5 and v6 models. They are not supposed to accept non-ECC and apparantly no longer work in consumer boards (i.e. not on the same boards as i5 and i7).

William said: Verified now btw - i3-6/7 do as E3 v5/v6 have ECC support; however as expected not on consumer boards (unlike eg. i3-4xxx, which has depending on BIOS) - you need a C236 chipset for that, thus a server board.

Indeed the i3's are apparantly 'server grade' too! Works with ECC on a 'server' chipset. But on my Microcloud, they happily access non-ECC and that is true of the Xeons too. I've never been able to get desktop RAM working on previous gen 'server' boards.

• corbpiecorbpie Member

Wait for vega

• vimalwarevimalware Member
      edited May 2017

There's also the cheap Kabylake pentiums(G4560 upwards ) .
      they have HT enabled , unlike the previous gen budget ' Pentium ' chips.

They lack VT instructions i think, so are only good for baremetal usage.

• WilliamWilliam Member

vimalware said: They lack VT instructions i think, so are only good for baremetal usage.

They do not - my (Skylake) G4400 has no HT and VT-x + VT-d, the G4560 (Kaby lake) has VT-x, VT-d and HT.

Nice CPUs all around, very cheap.

Thanked by 1vimalware