Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ukraine implementing censorship of Russian websites
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ukraine implementing censorship of Russian websites

Just got from one of our UA ISPs that the decree 133/2017 will be effective now/shortly, which blocks a bunch of Russia based websites - mostly VKontakte, mail.ru and Kaspersky.

We'll see what is added in the future, from the website this seems due to Crimean annexation and support of the war in East Ukraine/West Russia.

Шановний замовник!

Інформуємо Вас, що згідно виконання Указу Президента України 133/2017 від 
http://www.president.gov.ua/documents/1332017-21850
про введення в дію рішення РНБО від 28 квітня 2017 року "Про застосування 
персональних спеціальних економічних та інших обмежувальних заходів (санкцій)", 
можливе блокування доступу до інтернет-ресурсів vk.com, ok.ru, mail.ru, 
yandex.ru, yandex.ua, drweb.ru, kaspersky.ru та ін. (згідно Додатку 2 до Рішення) 
з боку аплінка.

Приносимо свої вибачення за незручності.

Вы получили данное письмо, поскольку
адрес x
является контактным для услуги компании Колокол:

- колокейшин (x)

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Discussed before

• WilliamWilliam Member

Not yet in effect for VK:

1. AS15497 62.149.29.125                                      0.0%    0    10    10   0.3   0.3   0.4   0.4   0.0   0.4  0.1  0.0  0.1  0.3
      2. AS15497 gw.itsystems-world.ll.colocall.com (62.149.8.65)   0.0%    0    10    10   0.4   0.4   0.5   0.7   0.0   0.5  0.0  0.1  0.2  0.9
      3. AS13249 mx-kha.itsinternet.net (213.133.160.150)           0.0%    0    10    10   7.3   7.3  10.3  37.7   9.6   8.6  0.1  3.1 30.3 18.3
      4. AS???   gw1.vk.com (109.239.137.241)                       0.0%    0    10    10  26.5  26.3  26.4  26.6   0.0  26.4  0.2  0.1  0.3  1.0
      5. AS47541 srv206-191-240-87.vk.com (87.240.191.206)          0.0%    0    10    10  26.6  26.5  26.6  26.8   0.0  26.6  0.0  0.1  0.2  0.4
      6. AS???   ???                                               100.0   10     0    10   0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0   0.0  0.0  0.0  0.0  0.0
      7. AS47541 srv180-11-213-95.vk.com (95.213.11.180)            0.0%    0    10    10  28.1  28.1  28.1  28.2   0.0  28.1  0.0  0.0  0.0  0.2

Yandex is on Giganet exchange in UA, not censored yet either:

1. AS15497 62.149.29.125                               0.0%    0    10    10   0.3   0.3   0.4   0.5   0.0   0.4  0.0  0.1  0.1  0.5
      2. AS???   yandex-2-ix.giganet.ua (185.1.62.101)       0.0%    0    10    10   0.5   0.4   1.1   6.4   1.7   0.6  0.0  1.2  5.9  7.5
      3. AS13238 m9-p2-10ge4-0-46.yndx.net (213.180.213.6)   0.0%    0    10    10  22.3  22.0  22.6  25.5   0.9  22.6  0.7  0.6  3.6  4.0
      4. AS13238 myt-c1-ae12.yndx.net (87.250.239.102)       0.0%    0    10    10  19.4  19.2  20.0  22.3   0.8  20.0  0.2  1.2  3.0  9.4
      5. AS13238 yandex.ru (77.88.55.77)                     0.0%    0    10    10  19.0  18.9  18.9  19.0   0.0  18.9  0.1  0.0  0.1  0.2

VK resolves on ISP DNS as well:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    www.vk.com.     900 IN  A   87.240.165.82
    www.vk.com.     900 IN  A   95.213.11.180

All tested from BGP and direct by ISP IPs.

• MacPacMacPac Member
    edited May 2017

I hope all RU sites are blocked too for the support of war in Syria

• WilliamWilliam Member

WebProject said: Discussed before

Where? No ISP in UA implements this yet, and this is one of the largest DCs.

MacPac said: I hope all RU sites are blocked too for the support of war in Syria

I would rather go to Contabo which hosts the Syrian gov ISP in DE.

• cociucociu Member

MacPac said: I hope all RU sites are blocked too for the support of war in Syria

and the USA ? Franch , DE, Romanian , etc etc ? this is more complicated to judge....

• MacPacMacPac Member

@cociu said:

I don't want to generate more drama but its obvious who is supporting Assad with chemical weapons and air/navel support.

he is still around because of Russian support and its clearly obvious too that the Russians have killed the Syrians dream of freedom.

• kendidkendid Veteran

@William said:

It was deleted as it got political quickly...

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@kendid said:

@William said:

It was deleted as it got political quickly...

This already become so let's see what happens ;-).

• YuraYura Member

@MacPac said:

@cociu said:

I don't want to generate more drama but its obvious who is supporting Assad with chemical weapons and air/navel support.

he is still around because of Russian support and its clearly obvious too that the Russians have killed the Syrians dream of freedom.

Congratulations, you are officially on the BuzzFeed level now.

Thanked by 4tux Gaso1 k0nsl Pwner
  • MacPac said: I hope all RU sites are blocked too for the support of war in Syria

Hey, hey. I've got a number of Russian domains. :)

• MacPacMacPac Member
    edited May 2017

Enjoy these are pictures of terrorists being bombed by Russia and Assad.

Edited by @trewq: Removed very inappropriate images.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

William said: Where?

Had to dump the thread, unfortunately.

I understand that relations between the two respective nations are heated. If people want to discuss politics, it's most likely suited for the cesspit.
    That said, Ukraine blocking Russian websites does somewhat intersect the interests of the forum whilst being political, so... we'll see how this goes.

• @MacPac said:

@cociu said:

Naivety is cute if you're under 10 yo, otherwise it's really ugly.

• WilliamWilliam Member

ElliotJ said: That said, Ukraine blocking Russian websites does somewhat intersect the interests of the forum whilst being political, so... we'll see how this goes.

If you fail to see the irony in deleting a thread about a country censoring another... :)

But yea, that turned Syria quickly, despite absolutely zero relation... how unexpected actually, expected more Russia STRONK Crimea РОССИИ sentiment, weird.

Also, in basic - this affects me right in the moment it is implemented and my customers in UA as well, not just general thread.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • MacPac said: Enjoy these are pictures of terrorists being bombed by Russia and Assad.

What has that got to do with me?

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

William said: If you fail to see the irony in deleting a thread about a country censoring another... :)

Yeap, I can fully appreciate the hypocrisy, but as you can see... things get off-topic fairly quickly - That's the real concern. It's not in my intention to censor, although it can be perceived that way.

William said: Russia STRONK Crimea РОССИИ sentiment

Ah, give it a few hours. You know how these things go.

William said: Also, in basic - this affects me right in the moment it is implemented and my customers in UA as well, not just general thread.

Precisely why I want this thread to be open.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

I've just banned @MacPac. Posting pictures of deceased people, especially children, will not be tolerated.

• WilliamWilliam Member

ElliotJ said: Ah, give it a few hours. You know how these things go.

We have not many Russians, and they tend to be not very nationalistic, might be the cause that it is less prevalent. Not many Ukrainians either.

Sent ticket now in when this comes precisely in effect - Weird also: like many in UA this ISP has only a Russian website, however the email is Ukrainian except the signature (Russian again), which is probably as it would be just weird to get that mail in Russian...

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited May 2017

William said: Sent ticket now in when this comes precisely in effect - Weird also: like many in UA this ISP has only a Russian website, however the email is Ukrainian except the signature (Russian again), which is probably as it would be just weird to get that mail in Russian...

I'd be interested to see how it'll be implemented - Is it directed for eyeball ISPs to block clients (DNS blocking or similar)? Or will all ISPs be forced to drop AS47542 connectivity?

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • salakissalakis Member

I heard that this block is already in place with many residential ISPs, though.
    I didn't really expect them to push it that hard with banning it on all Ukrainian AS.

I wonder how they block it? Just dropped VK and others from DNS or drop all routes to VK AS? I doubt that UA can do some sophisticated and fancy DPI magic like China

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2017

ElliotJ said: I'd be interested to see how it'll be implemented - Is it directed for eyeball ISPs to block clients (DNS blocking or similar)? Or will all ISPs be forced to drop AS47542 connectivity?

As it is not just a single AS (Kaspersky is not on VK) i suspect single IP bans - DNS censorship is unlikely as no one uses his ISPs DNS anyway (so need DNS interception and so on...).

After that i am more worried what happens to:

• Giganet (an IX based in UA, RU and PL), They have a POP in Moscow as well which is L2 interconnected
    • MSK-IX, which is used by pretty much any UA ISP
    • Russian transit providers, they have large business share though decreasing (Transtelecom, Rostelecom etc.)

The mail.ru block is interesting, as mail.ru is very popular in UA - VK also but that is not THAT critical as your personal and maybe only email is...

Kaspersky block might block virus scanner signature updates - if implemented consequently they have to do that, which has other issues obviously...

There is not really a major transit provider in UA, sure, you have Ukrtelecom but you are not limited to them in pretty much any DC, Retn has things in nearly any larger city from Kiev to Odessa.

• WilliamWilliam Member

salakis said: I heard that this block is already in place with many residential ISPs, though. I didn't really expect them to push it that hard with banning it on all Ukrainian AS.

Ukraine is nice for that - everyone has a looking glass :)

IT Systems still has a route, they are mixed residential/business/DC:

inet.0: 647164 destinations, 2989359 routes (645078 active, 5213 holddown, 639645 hidden)
    + = Active Route, - = Last Active, * = Both

A V Destination        P Prf   Metric 1   Metric 2  Next hop        AS path
    * ? 77.88.55.0/24      B 170        500        160                  13238 I
      unverified                                       >213.133.164.170

They have a direct peering in Kiev, then backhaul by Yandex to MSK:

2 yandex-its.itsinternet.net (213.133.164.170) 0 msec 0 msec 0 msec
      3 m9-p1-te0-5-0-9.yndx.net (87.250.239.120) [AS 13238] [MPLS: Label 24006 Exp 3] 20 msec 16 msec 16 msec

Topnet (mostly residential) seems to not have any routes from UA pops, but not from Moscow or Frankfurt either so i suspect the LG is merely broken - http://lg.topnet.ua/lg/

• kendidkendid Veteran

@William said:
    Sent ticket now in when this comes precisely in effect - Weird also: like many in UA this ISP has only a Russian website, however the email is Ukrainian except the signature (Russian again), which is probably as it would be just weird to get that mail in Russian...

The Russian language is not banned in Ukraine -- so it's not surprising that both languages are used interchangeably. Although Russian news likes to promote everything is due to issues against Russian speakers -- the fact is that over half of Ukraine speaks Russian as their primary language. Cities like Dnepro, Kharkiv, Zaparoja, which are very patriotic to Ukraine, use Russian as their primary language... Heck, even the primary language in the Ukrainian army is Russian!

I lived in Crimea for 10 years, and left after the annexation... Ukrainian (other than in school and television) was hardly used at all... It was simply Russian...

• kendidkendid Veteran

The big question is what will happen to citizens in Crimea? Are they going to be affected -- it's still part of Ukraine, but under Russian control...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2017

kendid said: even the primary language in the Ukrainian army is Russian!

I bet your information is outdated by now.

kendid said: The big question is what will happen to citizens in Crimea? Are they going to be affected -- it's still part of Ukraine, but under Russian control...

Crimean users should not get routed through Ukrainian carriers anymore. Maybe some still do on small ISPs, so yes, those might be affected. But only for a few hours, as those ISPs will turn off all remaining Ukrainian transit faster than you could say "referendum".

Thanked by 3tux William deadbeef
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2017

kendid said: The Russian language is not banned in Ukraine -- so it's not surprising that both languages are used interchangeably

Obviously not, however this ISP solely uses Russian. For everything. Never Ukrainian. Always, since always. Based in Kiev, not East.

This is extremely weird to use Ukrainian now and then have even the signature and all automatic added links in Russian... political for sure.

kendid said: The big question is what will happen to citizens in Crimea? Are they going to be affected -- it's still part of Ukraine, but under Russian control...

Russia already built a mobile network and from what i know also landline access, so no, unlikely to be affected at all.

As the tartars cut power lines all fiber is likely either cut or shut down from UA side also.

EDIT:

Yep, much over RU now, with some having still UA backup links listed.

https://bgpview.io/asn/201776#peers-v4 <- Rostelecom local company in Crimea

https://bgpview.io/asn/48004#peers-v4 <- Random ISP having both

This one changed already pretty much to solely RU, including geo and address:

https://bgpview.io/asn/42896#info

Shpolyanskoy str.,
    18/16,
    Simferopol,
    Republic Crimea,
    Russia

However, still with Dataline upstream from UA:

https://bgpview.io/asn/42896#upstreams-v4

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited May 2017

@ElliotJ said:
    I'd be interested to see how it'll be implemented - Is it directed for eyeball ISPs to block clients (DNS blocking or similar)? Or will all ISPs be forced to drop AS47542 connectivity?

I am curious as well.

I know that people can't be effectively restricted. Manipulatively guided - yes, explicitly barred - no.
    Anyhow, restrictions have consequences.

Side note: In some parts of Ukraine you can attach a directional antenna to a GSM modem and use Russian internet.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited May 2017

@ElliotJ said:

Decree No. 133/2017 doesn't specify anything technical - and I don't think the relevant ministry(-ies) have told any ISP how to do it. And that's very appropriate, too. Modern governments don't micromanage spheres in which they don't specialize.

@Janevski said:
    I am curious as well.

I know that people can't be effectively restricted. Manipulatively guided - yes, explicitly barred - no.
    Anyhow, restrictions have consequences.

Side note: In some parts of Ukraine you can attach a directional antenna to a GSM modem and use Russian internet.

Ukraine doesn't really care about ordinary hobbyists circumventing the block. And I doubt the intention is to block information either, as Russian-leaning professionals and amateurs will infiltrate UA internet anyways. It's about making Russian-owned services (e.g., VKontakte, yandex) less convenient for the general population to use.

edited May 2017

jiggawattz said: will infiltrate UA internet

Thing is, there's literally no "UA internet" to speak of. They don't have any popular social networks, forums, even mail services of any significance of their own. Everyone in the Ukraine just used those Russian ones.

4 out of the top 10 most visited sites are those which are now banned. If you don't count technicalities such as Google, Wikipedia and Privatbank (banking), that's more than half of what the average UA user needs on the internet.

edited May 2017

https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html?start=2017-02-18&end=2017-05-19&country=ua&events=on

Almost 100 thousand new Tor users in the Ukraine overnight. (to the recently discussed topic of "what Tor is most used for")