Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible to setup an internal network on Hetzner/OVH?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it possible to setup an internal network on Hetzner/OVH?

myhkenmyhken Member

I'm running Windows Server with Hyper-V on my servers at Hetzner and OVH.
I have lots of external IPs, specially on my OVH server, but I want to setup a test lab with a couple of servers and some client VM's that need to be on the same IP network.

So I need something like a virtual router or something so the servers/clients have internet access, but they are not going to host anything, so they do not need public IPs.

Can I do that on my servers just with some settings in Windows Server and/or in Hyper-V or do I need like a vRack or similar to do this?

Comments

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2017

you will need vRack for interconnecting multiple OVH servers locally. I guess you could also do it to some extend over public IP's but vRack should be much faster with less latency.

I don't know if Hetzner provides any similar service.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Tinc

Thanked by 1rm_
  • myhkenmyhken Member

@stefeman maybe I did not explain good enough. I do only need ONE dedicated server running Hyper-V, then I will create 2 x servers and * x client VMs in Hyper-V. But they need to be on the same internal network.

Neoon said: Tinc

So you recommend that I use a VPN client?

The reason I need them to be on the same network is that I want to setup a domain controller (AD) with GPO and the other clients use that domain to logon to. And I want to deploy a deploy a program called Ncentral (n-able) to manage both the servers and clients.

• @myhken said:
    I do only need ONE dedicated server running Hyper-V, then I will create 2 x servers and * x client VMs in Hyper-V. But they need to be on the same internal network.

If this happens inside your single server, any half decent Virtualizion platform should have VLAN support for internal networking between VPS:ses.

• ihadpihadp Member

@myhken said:
    @stefeman maybe I did not explain good enough. I do only need ONE dedicated server running Hyper-V, then I will create 2 x servers and * x client VMs in Hyper-V. But they need to be on the same internal network.

Yes, this is 100% possible with any server running Hyper-V no matter how the public network is setup. Inside your Hyper-V virtual switch settings you can create a new network and set it to allow communications between your VM's (and your hypervisor if you desire).

Once setup you will need to attach each VM to the new network and then assign your private IP address(es) inside the guest OS.

Thanked by 2stefeman myhken
  • I would use a VPN (for example: OpenVPN). With HyperV you can create a dummy network (if that's possible, idk) and then a VM with Internet access (I wouldn't recommend NAT, it's easier) on both sides (you can use pfSense with that). Now the pfSense VM is your router and VPN gateway. What you can't do is that you put the VPN Network in the same subnet as your LAN (your lab), but you can do it in a private space (eg: 10.1.1.0/24 (LAN) and 10.1.2.0/24 (VPN)).

I use such a scenario with DN42 in my home lab and in my datacenter-lab (Home -- VPN --> Datacenter -- VPN/BGP --> DN42/Internet).

• WilliamWilliam Member

Hetzner offers to add network cards and internal network with flexi pack and pretty high pricing.

Tinc works well, the internal network is mostly unshared.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • chxchx Member
    edited May 2017

@William said:
    Hetzner offers to add network cards and internal network with flexi pack and pretty high pricing.

As always... the devil is in the details. If you have 8-10 fast servers with them while the one off price you can pay for a 10 gbit switch is a bit of a hit -- but it's a one time hit. After that you are looking at < 100 EUR a month per server (Intel E3-1270 v3 w/ 32GB RAM and 2 x 480GB SSD is always < 50EUR in the marketplace) with a 10 gbit internal network. I am unaware of any other providers giving you a 10gbit VLAN for such cheap servers.

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@myhken said:
    I'm running Windows Server with Hyper-V on my servers at Hetzner and OVH.
    I have lots of external IPs, specially on my OVH server, but I want to setup a test lab with a couple of servers and some client VM's that need to be on the same IP network.

So I need something like a virtual router or something so the servers/clients have internet access, but they are not going to host anything, so they do not need public IPs.

Can I do that on my servers just with some settings in Windows Server and/or in Hyper-V or do I need like a vRack or similar to do this?

If you need private ip in between multiple Dedicated Servers in OVH, you could subscribe to vRack for your servers, you will be provided a secondary NIC connected to the vRack. Next, you attach all the servers you have with OVH to the vrack. Private IP with vlan tagging could be used within the vrack for private communications in between your servers. You could also do NAT for internet access. If you need more details, just drop me a PM am willing to help as much as i can.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2017

chx said: As always... the devil is in the details. If you have 8-10 fast servers with them while the one off price you can pay for a 10 gbit switch is a bit of a hit -- but it's a one time hit. After that you are looking at < 100 EUR a month per server (Intel E3-1270 v3 w/ 32GB RAM and 2 x 480GB SSD is always < 50EUR in the marketplace) with a 10 gbit internal network. I am unaware of any other providers giving you a 10gbit VLAN for such cheap servers.

No, this is Gbit. Hetzner does not do 10G internal at reasonable price.

• Network card 10G is 40EUR per server monthly (Gbit is 30EUR one time)
    • Flexi pack at 15EUR each server monthly
    • 12 port switch is 1000EUR one time (so 85EUR/port)
    • Migration of servers into same rack is 25EUR (or so) per server

Adds up to (40+15) monthly additional on each server - 55EUR
    Plus (85+25) one time per server - 110EUR

SB servers do not always qualify for this services, if you have eg. RAID on certain i7 you have no PCIe slots for a network card.

https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Root_Server_Hardware

We pay less than that additional fee per i7/E3, by far, so just getting more servers and "abusing" the internal network at Gbit for CEPH makes more sense.

• Do you really want to use every IP you have knocking around?

Why don't you just setup a Firewall Distro (pfSense) and then setup two adapters / switches, one for WAN, another for LAN. Connect the WAN one to the WAN switch so it has internet access and then LAN one to LAN. Connect all further VM's to the LAN network, this will allow you to have your own virtual internal network in your own virtual environment.

Rather than using Hyper-V, I would say you VMWare ESXi as it's just easier but obviously, choice is all yours.

Guide to accomplish the above: Link

• graphicgraphic Member

Thats what you can do by Hetzner:

• chxchx Member
    edited May 2017

No, this is Gbit. Hetzner does not do 10G internal at reasonable price.

• Network card 10G is 40EUR per server monthly (Gbit is 30EUR one time)
    • Flexi pack at 15EUR each server monthly
    • 12 port switch is 1000EUR one time (so 85EUR/port)
    • Migration of servers into same rack is 25EUR (or so) per server

Adds up to (40+15) monthly additional on each server - 55EUR
    Plus (85+25) one time per server - 110EUR

We are talking of the same thing: once you paid the 839.5 EUR once off for the 12 port 10gbit switch, the 10g is 32.77 / month and the flexi pack is 12.61 per month so 45.38 per 10gbit machine per port which together with a ~50 EUR or less machine is less than 100 EUR per month and if you spread the 839.5 EUR across 8-10 machines a year that's about 10 EUR. Care to tell me where else would you find 10 gbit uplinks in this price range?