Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Solved] No bootable device after reboot
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Solved] No bootable device after reboot

bashkoogabashkooga Member
edited May 2017 in Help

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if you could possibly nudge me in the right direction about small problem I have encountered.

I have installed Windows Server 2016 on my OVH VPS 3 2016.

Everything went fine, I have previously slipstreamed Virtio drivers into it.

I will describe the procedure I used:

1. Choosing reinstall my VPS, then restart into Rescue mode.
  2. Using QEMU to partition the VPS's SSD, load the iso and preform the install on the drive.
  3. After the installation is performed I make sure in while still in linux that System has been deployed on partitions, which is indeed the case.
  4. I then select Reboot from my VPS panel to boot from HDD.
  5. Reboot is successful and I can log in as well as operate from Windows.

The problem:

I can restart from within Windows to the heart's desire, however, when I select Reboot from VPS console to reboot the VPS, the BIOS complains that No bootable device can be found. While restarting into Rescue mode I am still able to confirm all the system partitions are still there and nothing has changed.

Do you have any clues what may be causing this? The only way to fix it is to go through the entire procedure again and pray that there will be no need to Restart the VPS from the Owner's Panel. Like I mentioned before restarting from within windows itself does not cause this problem.

Comments

• bashkoogabashkooga Member
    edited May 2017

I have managed to solve this problem:

Before the installation, when specifying QEMU command line, instead of using:

-hda /dev/sdb

use:

-drive file=/dev/sdb,if=virtio

after that, reboot both from windows and ovh console preserves the system and everything works as intended.

Topic can be given [Solved] tag.

Thanks!

• rowboatrowboat Member

@bashkooga said:
    I have managed to solve this problem:

Before the installation, when specifying QEMU command line, instead of using:

-hda /dev/sdb

use:

-drive file=/dev/sdb,if=virtio

after that, reboot both from windows and ovh console preserves the system and everything works as intended.

Topic can be given [Solved] tag.

Thanks!

Will this work with OVH SSD VPS #1? If so, how much free disk space do you get after installation?

• Hey there @rowboat!

Sadly, I don't think this will work on VPS 1 :/ the whole installation of W2016 takes slightly above 15GB on VPS3 I am renting.