Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM-like experience (VNC) on other virtualisation techniques
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM-like experience (VNC) on other virtualisation techniques

djvdorpdjvdorp Member
edited January 2012 in Help

Hi all,

I had a lot of LEB's in the last year, and found 2 uses for them. 1 serves as a webserver+git etc, and one as a remote "computer" running some java apps or other GUI apps for me.
For the webserver I use a simple box, for the remote "computer" I use KVM.
But in fact, the only thing I use from the KVM benefits is the default VNC access.
Pretty silly, I know. But what I wanted to ask is; is it easy to install an desktop os (with GUI) + VNC access
on other VPS virtualisation techniques? And if so, how? I mostly use Ubuntu or Debian.

Thanks for all your opinions in advance!

Comments

• Xen is easy too with nomachine

• A lot of providers will provide VNC access with their control panels anyway, so if you can get a desktop on there then you could just use that

• @vmhosts said: A lot of providers will provide VNC access with their control panels anyway, so if you can get a desktop on there then you could just use that

I have had a pretty amount of LEBs in the past, but never seen VNC on other virtualisation then KVM :(

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I believe Xen HVM offers VNC access. Although it's really easy to install a desktop + VNC on any virtualization.

• Yes, Xen HVM is usually being provided with VNC readily configured. The Solus environment, for example, handles that automatically.

• fanovpnfanovpn Member
    edited January 2012

Haha, you should have said you are using KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine) for its KVM (Keyboard Video Mouse).

Anyway, if you just want a desktop you can access over VNC, it should be possible to do it on any virtualization type, even OpenVZ. Just install an X server which has VNC or another remote graphics access built-in, and you don't need any support from the virtualization.

I've never set it up before, but I know a lot of people here have. As far as X servers which directly output to VNC, I'd assume Xvnc is the standard but I don't know if there are better alternatives. I've also seen NX mentioned a lot here as being superior to VNC in a lot of ways, though wikipedia suggests there's a divide between multiple community-supported open source versions and the company's latest closed-source commercial version. FreeNX looks like it's pretty easy to install on Ubuntu.

EDIT: It won't be a "KVM-like experience" (no BIOS access, no QEMU system monitor access, no console-directed messages, no ability to keep the connection open through a soft-reset, etc.), but all that's not necessary for everyone and it sounds like VNC access to the desktop is the main part you're looking for.

Thanked by 1djvdorp