Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nexenta Web UI and Crazy CPU usage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nexenta Web UI and Crazy CPU usage

vmhostsvmhosts Member
edited January 2012 in General

Anyone here using any Nexenta appliances on VMware? We have noticed a very strange behaviour with the WebUI.

When ever it is opened VMware reports the appliance is using over 2Ghz, even though the appliance reports back a usage of 200-300Mhz (report using prstat and webUI reports)

Only reason we have been able to see this behaviour is due to the VMware reporting. I suspect anyone using this on dedicated physical appliances would have the same CPU hit but would have no way of seeing the correct usage

Comments

• I am running NexentaStor on a dedicated box at home and I don't see this type of CPU usage at all. When it is Idle it is Idle ( a few Mhz).

I can install it on a Vsphere 5.0 node and see how it behaves if you want.

• Thank you @luma maybe worth a try. I have tried this on two different hosts (ESXi 4.1 update 1), and two seperate appliances, but I get the same issue.

We are using Nexenta 3.1.1. Currently just as a test for backup target but it does have some interesting features, for future deployements.

The second we open the webUI VMware reports CPU usage jumps to 50%, Nexenta reports 5%

• Sure, I am downloading 3.1.1 (which is what I am running on my physical host) and will set it up in a VM and let you know how it behaves.

• @luma your a star - I suspect your phsycial dedicated appliance does the same, but there would be very few ways of seeing it.

I have no reason not to trust VMware's reports. I have never seen this get it wrong

• Well I doubt my physical host is doing it because I have a kill-a-watt hooked up to it and I can see the usage and it is always idle. It is a E3-1220 with 16GB of ram and with the drives I have it sits at 45 watts when Idle and I know that is Idle because there is no way it could use so little power under any sort of load.

The minute I add load to it I see the wattage go up to about 80-100.

Of course this is not a very scientific method of determining load but I am thinking it is accurate.

• Still better than nothing though. OK, maybe just my appliances for some reason

• Ok it is installing now. For some reason the Nexenta FTP was giving me 40-50KB/s :(

• Just watching it now. WebUI is reporting 10% usage for 2X2GHZ CPU so around 400MHZ usage report from VMware 3.6GHZ Something isnt right

I have sent a dtrace to nexenta anyway just to see if they have an idea's. I havent given these much RAM,just 1.5GB which I know is very low but I cant see how this would have an effect on how it reports CPU usage

• Ok its installed and configured.

Just logged in to it and Vsphere is saying 343Mhz, 2GB of ram with 1.4GB Active.

VMWare tools not installed.

I will keep an eye on it and let you know.

• vmhostsvmhosts Member
    edited January 2012

I have installed VMware tools on mine, so if we find your doesnt eat CPU then I can always try an uninstall.

Thanks for taking the time to replicate this, will be interesting to see how it works out. I think I will deploy one more just as a benchmark with no shares and see what happens

• I will set up the tools in a bit just for fun.

So far I am seeing a lot of spikes in cpu usage.

It Idles at ~300mhz and then spikes to an average of 1500mhz every 5 minutes or so and a few spikes have gone as high as 6Ghz.

I have given it 2 sockets with 2 cores each.

• Spikes are not too unexpected. The average use I see when it's doing nothing is a bit odd.

I wonder if VMware tools are doing anything odd

• yeah I am going to gather more data for a bit and then I will install the tools to see what happens.

Here is what the graph looks like so far. I have not done anything to nexenstastor except set it up and login.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/nexentagraph.png/

• I'm still surprised at the level of activity for an appliance with minimal config

• Yep, same here, I gave it a 30GB disk, no shares, just a fresh install and a login to the Gui. Though Nexenta does have a TON of runners that run often, Have you had a look at your runners and see if you can set some of them to less frequency?

• I set all runners to disabled but still the same

• I wonder if the CPU usage can be measured like that... in "Mhz".

I remember when I had my VMware at enscloud, it always said I used just some Mhz, but my processes were using a lot of processor.

• This is the thing, the appliance it self reports low CPU with no processes running.

VMware tells another story

• just came across this - havent read it uet but looks liek we are not alone

http://blog.solori.net/category/open-source-storage/nexenta-open-source-storage/