Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EDIS France vps geolocation issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EDIS France vps geolocation issue

strexstrex Member
edited June 2013 in General

Hi,
I have a vps with edis in their france location.
It is very important for me to have an IP which location is in France.
The problem is, that google thinks this is an UK IP.
When I check the ripe.net whois it shows FR as country.

Does anyone know why google thinks the location from this IP is UK?

Comments

• dnwkdnwk Member

Yes. Previously when I have a EDIS HK, ip show as somewhere in EU.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Have you emailed EDIS support about it? [email protected]

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@dnwk said:

Doesn't matter for me, but yeah, my HK shows up in Austria.

• @strex said:
    Does anyone know why google thinks the location from this IP is UK?

Have you used webmaster tools to tell google where the site is actually located?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2013

Doesn't matter for me, but yeah, my HK shows up in Austria.

I think who needs to be notified (if that is even possible), is MaxMind. Currently the geoipdb in e.g. Debian lists hk.edis.at IP as Austria. And yes it certainly does matter, e.g. for me if I'm buying a VPS in a specific exotic country, half of the time it will be for VPN from that country's IPs. But even when MaxMind updates their database, you're still left hoping that the actual websites all over the world update their geoipdb sooner rather than later.

• SpiritSpirit Member

@MrObvious what site? That's usually not a problen of website (if there's any website at all) but other services like VPN usage where end user can't do much about it. (ie. you won't be able to open some youtube videos with IP recognized as german, you won't be able to bet at bwin with IP recognized as US, etc..)

• SpiritSpirit Member

I think who needs to be notified (if that is even possible), is MaxMind

@rm_ does google use maxmind too? Since when? Maxmind is just one of many geoiplookup services used by part of the internet but not authoritative in any way. If you want to know more about delegated IP blocks and how they will be recognized by biggest players you should look at official RIR lists ie ftp://ftp.ripe.net/pub/stats/ but sadly even this isn't most accurate.

The RIPE Network Management Database contains information about IP address space allocations and assignments. This information also indicates the country where resources were first allocated or assigned. However it is not intended that the data be considered as an authoritative statement of the location where any specific resource may currently be in use.

Therefore using this information for IP to country mapping may result in

inaccuracies and, as a result, in user's confusion in many cases.

For instance, as the Internet is global, it is easy for users to either

intentionally or unintentionally use IP addresses that have been assigned to
    a company conducting business in another region. For example, a user in Italy
    may be receiving ISP service from a company who gets a link to Japan via
    a satellite company run out of the US. Which company has the space registered
    depends on their business and networking arrangements.

ftp://ftp.ripe.net/pub/stats/arin/delegated-arin-latest
    ftp://ftp.ripe.net/pub/stats/ripencc/delegated-ripencc-latest
    etc...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2013

@Spirit MaxMind is perhaps the most popular service, as I noted their DB is also in Debian (likely Ubuntu too): http://packages.debian.org/jessie/geoip-database, so if a random website implements geoip, the first logical choice short of paying for an external service, will be to use this DB that's already available in their distro for free. Speaking of Google, they probably have their own internal mechanism (as for so many other things), but if they'd use any external one, MaxMind would be the most likely candidate.

• @dnwk said:

Same issue as i faced with EDIS HK too. Shown as austria in some site unless i check with maxmind.com or some sites with updated maxmind data (or equivalent)

• @Spirit said:
    MrObvious what site? That's usually not a problen of website (if there's any website at all) but other services like VPN usage where end user can't do much about it. (ie. you won't be able to open some youtube videos with IP recognized as german, you won't be able to bet at bwin with IP recognized as US, etc..)

The OP said "Does anyone know why google thinks the location from this IP is UK?" - I don't see anywhere the OP mentions it being about a VPN unless I've missed something?

It is very important for me to have an IP which location is in France. The problem is, that google thinks this is an UK IP.

• SpiritSpirit Member

@MrObvious exactly. What makes you think that he have problem with his own site? Or he have site at all?

• strexstrex Member
    edited June 2013

Sorry for my unclear description.
    It is not a problem with a website.

I was trying to watch youtube videos which are only availabe in France.
    But this is not possible because I´m on YouTube GB with this IP.
    Also when I access google.com with my vps IP, it redirects me to google.co.uk.

When I check my IP on maxmind.com it shows the correct location: France

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2013

Complain at the GeoDBs, not us.

I did everything possible by anyone to make them right - i use the RIPE GPS data field, i use correct country codes, i use correct language codes, we use the ISPs ASN and not our own...

I even had a long conversation with RIPE to change the latest-delegated list for us to say EU as country field last week which normally isn't done for anyone unless it was initially registered as EU but this is all we can do.

You wan't cheap VPS in HK, Chile etc. and this simply does not pay the APNIC, LACNIC and ARIN costs and the attached local company costs etc. - If you want that go to vr.org and pay 20$ for the cheapest VPS.

Yes, i don't like the geodb issues either, but there simply is no solution to it.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2013

@William said:
    You wan't cheap VPS in HK, Chile etc. and this simply does not pay the APNIC, LACNIC and ARIN costs and the attached local company costs etc. - If you want that go to vr.org and pay 20$ for the cheapest VPS.

I think that he don't want cheap VPS in HK, Chile etc... just France to be fair :P
    But yes, I agree with you - that's the price customers pay for cutting corners with IPs not assigned by local ISPs or in some cases RIRs.
    Personally I can't complain as both my Edis locations (Austria and Sweden) got IPs from proper LIRs.

• Still, to get FR Allocated PA blocks you'd need to get a second LIR there :(