Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use to take backups?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use to take backups?

rocketrocket Member
edited May 2017 in General

I'm trying to find something to replace BackupNinja since its becoming more efforts than it's worth to manage the amount of config files.

I tried UrBackup and the interface is pretty good, it doesn't support encrypted backups though :/

What do you use for your backups?

Comments

• DNnameDNname Member

cdp.me looks good,

• ljsealsljseals Member

@DNname said:
    cdp.me looks good,

Cdp.me uses php to backup.

• Does anyone knows if cdp.me is still being developed and if it works properly? It really seems a good solution, but on Github I see is not updated for 2 years (https://github.com/PetaByet/cdp)

Anyone using it? If yes, any problems?

• ljsealsljseals Member

@nqservices said:
    Does anyone knows if cdp.me is still being developed and if it works properly? It really seems a good solution, but on Github I see is not updated for 2 years (https://github.com/PetaByet/cdp)

@PetaByet

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

I've started changing our backup infrastructure recently. We are moving to taking backups over SFTP, and backing up the backup drive with LVM. Something also worth noting is that we send out a message daily with the status of each servers backup which a human reviews. Simple, but I believe very effective.

This allows us to do backups of large servers that wouldnt otherwise be backupable due to the size of the disks (with incremental and weekly full backups).

• urBackup.org

I was having issues with CDP.me so moved to urbackup it's extremely under rated

Thanked by 1Tom
  • rocketrocket Member

@ljseals said:
    http://obnam.org/

https://cdp.me/

http://rsnapshot.org/
    @ljseals said:

@nqservices said:
    Does anyone knows if cdp.me is still being developed and if it works properly? It really seems a good solution, but on Github I see is not updated for 2 years (https://github.com/PetaByet/cdp)

@PetaByet

CDP looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for, will give it a try now

• gleertgleert Member, Host Rep

SplitIce said: I've started changing our backup infrastructure recently. We are moving to taking backups over SFTP, and backing up the backup drive with LVM. Something also worth noting is that we send out a message daily with the status of each servers backup which a human reviews. Simple, but I believe very effective.

Which software are you using?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@gleert Theres no large amount of code.

1. A small PHP script to create the email (1 file) on cron
    2. SSHFS for the filesystem
    3. LVM snapshots via cron
    4. Ansible for deployment on both the backup receiver & all servers being backed up

For mysql backups we use Percona innobackupex, rsync for files.

I did investigate lots of software before this, ideally we also wanted to use S3 but wasnt able to find a cost effective solution (was going to cost ~$1k/m, whereas the backup server costs only $40/m).

• UmairUmair Member

I am using R1soft and Backuppc (Depending on the situation). At times I am using both.

• Also can I ask urbackup what part of encryption do you need? I run mine over OVPN and urbackup is only mid ground for backups. They are then encrypted and uploaded to OneDrive and Amazon Cloud Drive

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Amanda and Bacula are time-tested, widely deployed, cross-platform, open-source solutions. It would be hard to go wrong with either of these (though there's a learning curve in each case).

http://www.amanda.org/
    http://blog.bacula.org/

But this is not to say that other solutions aren't viable ...

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • SplitIce said: A small PHP script to create the email (1 file) on cron

Have you tried NTFY for command-line notifications? Slack, Pushbullet supported, among others.

SplitIce said: LVM snapshots via cron

How does LVM compare to image-backed filesystems, like BTRFS on loopback?

I am going through a code rewrite, and looking at options to simplify deployments.

• @SplitIce said:
    @gleert Theres no large amount of code.

1. A small PHP script to create the email (1 file) on cron
    2. SSHFS for the filesystem
    3. LVM snapshots via cron
    4. Ansible for deployment on both the backup receiver & all servers being backed up

For mysql backups we use Percona innobackupex, rsync for files.

I did investigate lots of software before this, ideally we also wanted to use S3 but wasnt able to find a cost effective solution (was going to cost ~$1k/m, whereas the backup server costs only $40/m).

S3 is crap anyway; I tried to use it, but costs were through the roof. I just have storage VPSes everywhere, and a NAS at home that periodically does a cold backup of my servers.

Regular backups for me are snapshots (a simple tarball when not available), SSHFS mounted storage, and rsync'ed when moved to cold backup.

• We also use cdp for openvz and MySQL backup. :)

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

I use vzdump to backup openvz containers (with snapshot on LVM) and KVM machines and backuppc for all other cases.

• FalzoFalzo Member

whatever backup strategy or program you use, make sure you do try a restoration process of a full backup and also single files, to see how it works and if those processes fit your needs too!

• rocketrocket Member

Gave CDP a try but it seems broken. Installed gave 404 when trying to access the web panel, when j got that fixed it seems as if the backups are not even taking place (tried a 5GB folder), saying the file doesn't exist when trying to download it.

I'll take a look at some of the other suggestions now

• rocketrocket Member

@GenjiSwitchPls said:
    Also can I ask urbackup what part of encryption do you need? I run mine over OVPN and urbackup is only mid ground for backups. They are then encrypted and uploaded to OneDrive and Amazon Cloud Drive

Preferably on the transfer and then on the storage afterwards.

Some of the server backup flies contain data that needs to be protected (business info) so it can't be stored in a readable way. How are you managing the encryption and backup?

• I was looking for a backup software some time ago.
    Someone posted 'rsnapshot' and I'm using it right now.

It's very easy to configure, it simply works and it works without
    a locally installed client.

For MySQL databases I'm using 'automysqlbackup' which writes
    the backup to the local system, which is then copied to a Kimi dedi.

• sinsin Member

I use rsync, rsnapshot, borgbackup, and automysqlbackup for database backups.

• graphicgraphic Member

Scripts with mysqldump, pbzip2, FTP and cron. Thats my backup solution :D

• If you're backing up a cPanel server, just use JetBackup or R1Soft and save yourself the hassle.

• rocketrocket Member

@Timtimo13 said:
    I was looking for a backup software some time ago.
    Someone posted 'rsnapshot' and I'm using it right now.

It's very easy to configure, it simply works and it works without
    a locally installed client.

For MySQL databases I'm using 'automysqlbackup' which writes
    the backup to the local system, which is then copied to a Kimi dedi.

Did you follow a guide for getting it working or use the documentation? (rsnapshot)

@graphic said:
    Scripts with mysqldump, pbzip2, FTP and cron. Thats my backup solution :D

Problem is that it gets hard to keep an eye on when you've got more than 15 machines needing to back up :(

@DigitalFyre said:
    If you're backing up a cPanel server, just use JetBackup or R1Soft and save yourself the hassle.

No cpanel, all Linux servers with manual config.

• rocket said: No cpanel, all Linux servers with manual config.

Then go with R1Soft if you're running CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu etc... The agent license is not that expensive if you already have a server to backup to.

• rocketrocket Member

@DigitalFyre said:

rocket said: No cpanel, all Linux servers with manual config.

Then go with R1Soft if you're running CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu etc... The agent license is not that expensive if you already have a server to backup to.

Do they bill per VPS or 1 license for all? I can see it getting pretty expensive really quickly.

• rocket said: Do they bill per VPS or 1 license for all? I can see it getting pretty expensive really quickly.

Per (agent). How many servers are you looking to back up and how many of them are VMs?

• rocketrocket Member

@DigitalFyre said:

rocket said: Do they bill per VPS or 1 license for all? I can see it getting pretty expensive really quickly.

Per (agent). How many servers are you looking to back up and how many of them are VMs?

Around 4-5 to start, maybe around 10-15 in the future.

• rocket said: Around 4-5 to start, maybe around 10-15 in the future.

If you can afford $4.5/agent (R1Soft), hit me up.