Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confused about IP address locations
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Confused about IP address locations

FireVPSFireVPS Member, Patron Provider

Hello experts,
I have a dedicated server, location Canada. I have several IP addresses all from Canada. They are showing correct location in ip2location database. No problem in that. Recently i added a single IP address from USA to that dedicated server, but the location is showing Canada instead of USA. So i am confused here. To get USA IP address your server must be hosted in USA? Please need guideline here.

P.S. Maxmind is showing USA for the location of the IP address but others are showing Canada.

Comments

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

Geoip sites can be confusing at times . You can ignore them unless geolocation is important for you !
    You can also contact those other geoip sites to get corrected which takes no less than a month !!

• ricardoricardo Member

Indeed, lots of sources are different. Google's geolocation will often disagree with the IP database products like ip2location.

• @ricardo said:
    Indeed, lots of sources are different. Google's geolocation will often disagree with the IP database products like ip2location.

Yeah, I've had issues where Canada and US servers got google.com.br even though iplocation.net showed it all as being in Canada or US

• @reseller2host said:
    Hello experts,
    I have a dedicated server, location Canada. I have several IP addresses all from Canada. They are showing correct location in ip2location database. No problem in that. Recently i added a single IP address from USA to that dedicated server, but the location is showing Canada instead of USA. So i am confused here. To get USA IP address your server must be hosted in USA? Please need guideline here.

P.S. Maxmind is showing USA for the location of the IP address but others are showing Canada.

If the server is in Canada eventually the geolocation will change back to Canada, although this sometimes isn't true.

• williclarkamwilliclarkam Member
    edited May 2017

I have this question too, I really want to know, what exactly the reason is, that sometimes Google redirects me to some other Google country instead of the location of server's IP!

For example, some time ago, I had a VPS from ArubaCloud in IT location and Google redirected me too google.com.br and I was like what the hell!

iplocation shows Italy but then Google redirects to Brazil!

Really want to know how Google determines the location.

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited May 2017

@williclarkam said:
    I have this question too, I really want to know, what exactly the reason is, that sometimes Google redirects me to some other Google country instead of the location of server's IP!

For example, some time ago, I had a VPS from ArubaCloud in IT location and Google redirected me too google.com.br and I was like what the hell!

iplocation shows Italy but then Google redirects to Brazil!

Really want to know how Google determines the location.

Yeah I've had the google.com.br redirection happen in Chicago IL US, Montreal Canada, and Gravelines France. http://iplocation.net/ shows them all as being in the correct place too. I reported this multiple times to Google and they said they'd fix it but never did.

It upsets me too, like how is the US and Canada and France brazil? I don't even know how they would determine that, the IP address space also has NEVER been used in brazil too. Pretty annoying. It seems to only happen with datacenter/server/VPS IPs too.

OVH and Vultr don't even have brazil locations or PoPs and aren't peering with any brazil ISPs/ASNs either. It truly seems random. I almost made a LET post here about it too but decided not to. Honestly I'm starting to think someone at google decided to do it intentionally to deter people from using VPSs as VPNs.

With OVH the IP geolocation was changed back to France because their support told me OVH contacted Google themselves about it, but a few months later, no more google.fr, it started redirecting back to google.com.br AGAIN, and at that point I just forgot about it, used http://google.com/ncr (no country redirect), if google.com.ncr doesn't work go to http://google.us/ and in the bottom right hand corner select "Use Google.com" and that'll work around temporarily, until Google Ads or YouTube go to YouTube BR and put the google.com.br cookie in your browser again making you have to repeat the entire process over again.

I gave up trying to run VPNs off VPSs after that

Thanked by 1williclarkam
  • You don't even need to use a VPN to have this problem. I'm sure most people have had the google.hk issue. The solution is simple, just use “google.com/ncr” which means "no country redirect" afaik.

Thanked by 1williclarkam
  • mikecmikec Member

Every geolocation providers have its own algorithm to determine location. Some providers use simple registrant information and others use more complex network routing information.

If you put a US registered IP address range in a server located in Canada, a good geolocation service provider should still map it as Canada because the network routing has never changed.

Data center like OVH is selling geolocation IP address range to mislead those geolocation database and then increasing own revenue. Unfortunately, it does not work on all geolocation database such as IP2Location.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@mikec which could work well until they hit an Anycast range that spans multiple countries.

• ricardoricardo Member

For Google, aside from /ncr which works great at the country level, you can specify somewhere more specific using the uule parameter. https://www.bronco.co.uk/our-ideas/searching-google-from-anywhere/

You can also mess around with their geo-detection by posting wifi MAC addresses, which they accidentally gathered while creating Google Earth. https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/geolocation/intro#wifi_access_point_object