Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a 2TB External HDD - Is this a good fit?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a 2TB External HDD - Is this a good fit?

YmpkerYmpker Member

Backup Plus Slim (Seagate) for 99€?
Size is 2TB and comes with 200 GB OneDrive for 2 years. Any recommendations you have?

Comments

• m3gfm3gf Member

looks great . i bought a 1TB seagate HDD years ago and it is $70.

HDD's price is opposite to SSD's . heard that SSD's price is expensive as fuck theseday.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • FredQcFredQc Member

@Ympker said:
    Backup Plus Slim (Seagate) for 99€?
    Size is 2TB and comes with 200 GB OneDrive for 2 years. Any recommendations you have?

Both Amazon and Newegg have them for around $70 USD after rabate, you should check this out. Reviews seems favorable.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • lurchlurch Member

I bought 2 of the seagate 2tb expansions drives a few years back and they've been spot on. Inside was a Samsung M9T 2TB ST2000LM003 9.5mm SATA drive which I removed one for use in a htpc. I read somewhere they're new external drives will be using non sata connections so drives won't be removable.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @lurch said:
    I bought 2 of the seagate 2tb expansions drives a few years back and they've been spot on. Inside was a Samsung M9T 2TB ST2000LM003 9.5mm SATA drive which I removed one for use in a htpc. I read somewhere they're new external drives will be using non sata connections so drives won't be removable.

Only WD and Toshiba use a non-sata (drive to usb 3.0) connection. Seagate still uses sata drives. I've shucked a number of the 4TB models in the last couple months and all of them contain a normal 2.5" sata drive.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2017

Ah thanks. This one looks nice but I guess the Amazon offer is also quite tempting and no need to rush it. I will keep it in mind though and order tonight :)

• JasperNLJasperNL Member
    edited May 2017

2TB for 99€ is certainly not a bad price. Just do it!

If you want a lot more than 2TB, you can also consider buying a USB3 SATA docking station. I've once bought a cheap Sharkoon one and I'm using it with two slow cheap 4TB disks. I'd highly recommend that!

• I bought the 4TB Seagate Expansion drive on Ebay (neweggcanada) for $98.37. It's been great in my raspberry pi as a homeserver, 1 wire does all the work. (Power and data)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I have one of these 2TB Backup plus slims since 2yrs plugged in 24/7.

I attribute their uptime to the Samsung platters inside . It's probably the only consumer spinner I trust from Seagate, right now.

• I stopped buying out-of-the-box external hdd's due the drive speed is a hit or a miss.

Occasionally you get a 7200RPM drive but often WD and Seagate put a cheaper 5400 RPM drive in the fancy case. Which makes backing up taking longer than necessary and deduplication is hell.

Protip: Buy a HDD docking station and separate 10000RPM disk.

• @RoestVrijStaal said:
    I stopped buying out-of-the-box external hdd's due the drive speed is a hit or a miss.

Occasionally you get a 7200RPM drive but often WD and Seagate put a cheaper 5400 RPM drive in the fancy case. Which makes backing up taking longer than necessary and deduplication is hell.

Noob buy SSD

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited May 2017

I bought a 3TB External HDD for like 70 Euros in Portugal, 2 years ago. Seems expensive that 2TB HDD, unless that has additional features that mine doesn't.
    Mine was bought on a sale tho.

• teamaccteamacc Member

@MikePT said:
    I bought a 3TB External HDD for like 70 Euros in Portugal, 2 years ago. Seems expensive that 2TB HDD, unless that has additional features that mine doesn't.

It's 2.5".

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@teamacc said:

@MikePT said:

It's 2.5".

Huh. That explains it, my bad.

• edited May 2017

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@RoestVrijStaal said:
    I stopped buying out-of-the-box external hdd's due the drive speed is a hit or a miss.

Sir, in that case buying SSD is a better idea.

2 TB SSDs are more expensive than 10000RPM 2TB+ HDDs :)

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

@Ympker it seems it's a 2"5 i would never buy a 2"5 unless i don't have the choice.

It seems cool but its lifetime is shorter than a 3"5.

My advice : only buy it if you need to travel with it.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

I seen 4TB WD hard drive for almost the same price, you can get some solution to convert it to external. Personally I trust more WD brand.

• You could hold out for a good deal on a 4TB HGST. Price should only be slighlty more than other 4TB, but a whole another level of quality.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@vimalware said:
    You could hold out for a good deal on a 4TB HGST. Price should only be slighlty more than other 4TB, but a whole another level of quality.

Im not in a rush so why not :)