Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your local OS you use to connect to your VPS via SSH?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's your local OS you use to connect to your VPS via SSH?

ckissickissi Member
edited May 2017 in General

I'm wondering what is the local operating system users use to connect to their VPS via SSH.

You local OS
  1. What's your local OS you use to connect to your VPS via SSH167 votes
    1. Windows
      58.68%
    2. OSX (MacOS)
      17.37%
    3. Linux
      20.96%
    4. Other
        2.99%

Comments

• basically "which OS do you use on your desktop?"

• ckissickissi Member
    edited May 2017

@hostnoob said:
    basically "which OS do you use on your desktop?"

Basically yes. I just know few people who are security paranoid and use different machine to connect to their VPS :)

• Windows 8 Embedded.. Which is basically like Windows 7 with the latest features from Windows 10 minus the spyware and other shit. And yes, it's a legit license from dreamspark. Really good option if you have to use Windows.. Hospital devices/hardware use it too, so they don't pack any shit in it.. Only the minimal stuff which you can expand yourself.

• ckissickissi Member

@stefeman said:
    Windows 8 Embedded.. Which is basically like Windows 7 with the latest features from Windows 10 minus the spyware and other shit. And yes, it's a legit license from dreamspark. Really good option if you have to use Windows.. Hospital devices/hardware use it too, so they don't pack any shit in it.. Only the minimal stuff which you can expand yourself.

Didn't know something like this exists. Thanks for info.

• sinsin Member

Windows 10 Pro because I'm big into PC gaming :)

• MacOS with my Macbook Pro, both at work and at home. Mac's terminal is much more convenient to use compared to putty that I sometimes use in the Surface :-)

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • RodneyRodney Member

GNU Hurd

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

nhocconan said: MacOS with my Macbook Pro, both at work and at home. Mac's terminal is much more convenient to use compared to putty that I sometimes use in the Surface :-)

...when it doesn't crash. Yeah, Sierra has a crashing issue with Terminal. Amazing Apple could screw up something so simple, but I've seen many reports and experience it myself.

I use RoyalTS which has far more bells/whistles.

Rodney said: GNU Hurd

I was wondering who their user was...knew there had to be at least one...

• @raindog308 said:

nhocconan said: MacOS with my Macbook Pro, both at work and at home. Mac's terminal is much more convenient to use compared to putty that I sometimes use in the Surface :-)

...when it doesn't crash. Yeah, Sierra has a crashing issue with Terminal. Amazing Apple could screw up something so simple, but I've seen many reports and experience it myself.

Oh, I almost have not had any problem with it. I often have 4 terminals opened and connected during working hours. No problem at all. I use a Mac Pro 15" for nearly than 3 years now. Previously it does not work well on my weak Mac Mini.

Well, did not used a commercial one since my major stuff is coding, not server administration, so spent $$$ on WebStorm rather than a terminal :-)

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited May 2017

ckissi said: Didn't know something like this exists. Thanks for info.

Might also be interested in Windows 10 LTSB.

Enterprise LTSB is a long-term support version of Windows 10 Enterprise released every 2 to 3 years. They are supported with security updates for 10 years after their release, and intentionally receive no feature updates. Some features, including the Windows Store and bundled apps, are not included in this edition.

It is essentially a clean version of Windows 10 and unless you require the app store, it's ideal. That being said, I am using the word clean cautiously here, this is still Windows we are talking about.

Thanked by 1Jinx
  • ckissickissi Member

@Chronic said:

ckissi said: Didn't know something like this exists. Thanks for info.

Might also be interested in Windows 10 LTSB.

Enterprise LTSB is a long-term support version of Windows 10 Enterprise released every 2 to 3 years. They are supported with security updates for 10 years after their release, and intentionally receive no feature updates. Some features, including the Windows Store and bundled apps, are not included in this edition.

It is essentially a clean version of Windows 10 and unless you require the app store, it's ideal. That being said, I am using the word clean cautiously here, this is still Windows we are talking about.

I'm on the latest MacOS so I'm really satisfied. Moved to iMac 7 years ago.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Chronic said: unless you require the app store

I had actually forgotten Windows even has an app store until you mentioned it...

• Is android classified as linux?

• @raindog308 said:
    Sierra has a crashing issue with Terminal.

Well that's just peachy. I didn't know this and just updated to Sierra. Terminal is one of my most-used programs.

• Also, no *BSD in the poll?

• MakenaiMakenai Member

@stefeman said:
    Windows 8 Embedded.. Which is basically like Windows 7 with the latest features from Windows 10 minus the spyware and other shit. And yes, it's a legit license from dreamspark. Really good option if you have to use Windows.. Hospital devices/hardware use it too, so they don't pack any shit in it.. Only the minimal stuff which you can expand yourself.

Have you tried Windows 10 Education? I have a license for quite a while and if I remember correctly there is no Cortana. Updates are also almost nonexistant since I found a way to switch on LTSB.
    When the Linux subsystem update came out I disabled LTSB and updated and now I'm running non LTSB branch, nothing really annoys me.

• I have a Linux VPS setup as a jump station. Only that machine and my home broadband can connect to my other VPSes. So it depends... Mostly linux and some Windows 10.

Talking of Windows versions have you seen Windows 10 S yet?

• @raindog308 said:

Interesting. I have yet to encounter this problem, or crash anything for that matter.

How do you get it to crash?

• OS/2 Warp

Thanked by 1Abdussamad
  • @deadbeef said:
    OS/2 Warp

I remember that.

And, crap:

1. I didn't realize it's already been 30 years since it came out; and,
    2. It was getting updates into the 2000s.
    Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • putty on windows

• bapbap Member

Windows & Linux :)

• Winscp on windows, best tool ever invented

• ckissi said: I'm wondering what is the local operating system users use to connect to their VPS via SSH.

I'm not going to use your poll. Relegating the BSDs to "other" is just rude and/or ignorant. I would have thought that someone posting on LET would be more computer savvy than that.

Thanked by 1Gamma17
  • Gamma17Gamma17 Member

Multiple different ones... Win8.1 at home, RHEL7 at work, OpenBSD on laptop...
    Without multiple choices in the poll i do not really know what to choose there...

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • siegensiegen Member

OpenSSH on Windows 10

• NuntiusNuntius Member

iPad Pro with prompt.

• emgemg Veteran

I run ssh from the command line in Terminal on Mac. It is not uncommon for me to have many terminal windows open at once. Despite heavy use, I have never seen a terminal window crash on Mac. I don't run Sierra much.

• I switched from konsole to qterminal a while ago and with an average of 10 or so open, it's been completely solid on KDE.

• manlivomanlivo Member

I use Terminal on Ubuntu.