Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cancelling an unconfirmed BitCoin Transaction
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cancelling an unconfirmed BitCoin Transaction

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Last week I made a payment using BTC but my wallet (MultiBit) for some reason set the fee too low (about 1/3 the average) and the transaction has is unconfirmed.

It seems now the transaction cannot even be seen any more on any of the major explorers, almost as if nothing has happened. However my wallet still shows the status as 'sending' and I have no option to 'undo' / 'cancel'.

Anyone know how to undo the transaction given it cannot be seen on the network at all?

Comments

• That's not possible, unfortunately.

• ArchArch Member

Resend the transaction with a higher fee.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Arch_Liam said: Resend the transaction with a higher fee.

Funds not accessible while the transaction is still 'pending'.

BlazeMuis said: That's not possible, unfortunately.

So transactions can get stuck in limbo forever?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2017

Just install the official Bitcoin Core wallet, copy over your wallet.dat file, and it won't be trying to resend anything. After you ensure you get your funds safe in the Bitcoin Core, you can try to reset/reinstall MultiBit, if you want to keep using that.

rm_ said: Just install the official Bitcoin Core wallet,

sounds easy, but i suspect not.

• blackblack Member
    edited May 2017

The bitcoin transaction will be confirmed eventually. Right now there's 164k unconfirmed transactions on the BTC blockchain so the miners are only picking to confirm transactions with the highest fees. During the weekend unconfirmed transaction drops quite a bit so I'd wait a few more days.

• After a few days if it doesn't go through it will be cleared from the mempool and you can resend with higher fees.

• If your fee was above 10k satoshi, then accelerate via ViaBTC

• randvegeta said: So transactions can get stuck in limbo forever?

Not forever no, but it can take days/weeks depending on the fee.

• RamiRami Member

It happened to me before someone sent me some BTC with low fees and it took days to be confirmed
    So you can only wait

Its been a week so far for me. I'll wait till Monday. I included 0.00011BTC as the fee. About a 3rd of the average.

If that doesnt work, i'll try an accelerator, and if that doesnt work, I'll try and export my wallet to BitCoin Core.

• varunchopravarunchopra Member
    edited May 2017

I had 2 unconfirmed transactions for a week. The transaction cancelled on it's own and i have the money with me still.

Probably due to the surge in Bitcoin trade lately.

varunchopra said: i have the money with me still.

Which wallet do you use?

• Falco33Falco33 Member

@randvegeta said:
    Its been a week so far for me. I'll wait till Monday. I included 0.00011BTC as the fee. About a 3rd of the average.

If that doesnt work, i'll try an accelerator, and if that doesnt work, I'll try and export my wallet to BitCoin Core.

I believe the default fee for multibit is 0.0001 BTC, right?
    Right now, the recommended fee is 0.0006102 (around $1.10 at this moment)
    I would say, wait it out and it will be dropped eventually.

• @randvegeta said:

varunchopra said: i have the money with me still.

Which wallet do you use?

Electrum.

• nulldevnulldev Member
    edited May 2017

@randvegeta said:

It takes about two weeks for a transaction to get bumped out of the mempool, so you might still have to wait a couple more days.

• DNnameDNname Member

Same as my case, i have more than 3 days, but status still not confirmed

• BAKABAKA Member

Why has the transaction fee gone up so much these days?
    I remembered in 2015 when I sent a few mBTC with 0.01~0.02mBTC, it got 6 confirmations in ~half an hour. Now the fee is over 10x higher, but the speed is over 10x slower.

Thanked by 1muratai
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@BAKA said:
    I remembered in 2015 when I sent a few mBTC with 0.01~0.02mBTC, it got 6 confirmations in ~half an hour. Now the fee is over 10x higher, but the speed is over 10x slower.

I'm assuming it's related to the huge spikes in price as of late.

Francisco

• Falco33Falco33 Member

@BAKA said:

It's because there are 140k unconfirmed transactions waiting to be confirmed. Transactions with the highest fee will most likely go first, and the lowest ones have to wait.

Fundamental weakness in the BTC system. BTC can only handle around 2000 transactions per block. So its neither fast, nor cheap. Funny.

• blackblack Member

randvegeta said: So its neither fast, nor cheap. Funny.

It can be fast if you pay a lot for mining fees. Bitcoin has been throwing around the idea of segwit and lightening network recently to handle more transactions but a large group of ASIC miners are preventing this from happening. The idea is that they want these high transaction fees to get more money.

Still gotta wait at least 10 mins. If you need 3 cobfirmations, thats 30 mins. Thats as fast as it geta right now.

THANK YOU ViaBTC!

Managed to get in on the accelerator service and 8 hours later, my coins have 1 confirmation. Just gotta wait for a few more confirmations and then I'm golden!