Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ExtraVM Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ExtraVM Review

doghouchdoghouch Member
edited May 2017 in Reviews

Hello LET!

I haven't seen any recent reviews here for them, so I thought I'd toss in some of my thoughts. I'm glad that I'm with ExtraVM. The VPS (KVM) I have is really snappy, and is way overkill for a personal VPN. For the past four months, @MikeA has been helpful, responding to my support messages nearly instantly, while providing support to fix my server even though it barely costs anything. He truly cares about his customers, and I was astonished by the level of quality that he strives for.

nench.sh:

-------------------------
 nench.sh benchmark
 2017-05-11 20:02:40 UTC

Processor:    Common KVM processor
CPU cores:    2
Frequency:    3099.998 MHz
RAM:          3.7G
Swap:         
Kernel:       Linux 3.10.0-514.10.2.el7.x86_64 x86_64

Disks:
vda  500G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
    3.331 seconds
CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
    7.607 seconds
CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
    3.882 seconds

ioping: seek rate
    min/avg/max/mdev = 104.6 us / 5.43 ms / 72.4 ms / 8.31 ms
ioping: sequential speed
    generated 987 requests in 5.00 s, 246.8 MiB, 197 iops, 49.3 MiB/s

dd test
    1st run:    834 MB/s
    2nd run:    871 MB/s
    3rd run:    871 MB/s
    average:    858 MB/s

IPv4 speedtests
    your IPv4:    144.217.xxx.xxxx

Cachefly CDN:         91.54 MiB/s
    Leaseweb (NL):        24.20 MiB/s
    Softlayer DAL (US):   23.12 MiB/s
    Online.net (FR):      12.12 MiB/s
    OVH BHS (CA):         82.38 MiB/s

IPv6 speedtests
    your IPv6:    2001:04xx:xxxx:xxxx

Leaseweb (NL):        5.44 MiB/s
    Softlayer DAL (US):   2.40 MiB/s
    Online.net (FR):      8.95 MiB/s
    OVH BHS (CA):         3.51 MiB/s

The speed is really great; the disk speed was a bit unreasonable though (I'll get into that in a bit). Nothing I'd really want to complain about: it is packed with more resources than Pritunl/OpenVPN will ever use. With 500GB of space.... I can't complain. I've only used around 8GB.

IOPS are quite reasonable for a HDD, and has no signs of being overloaded or anything.

The network is decen (OVH), and most of us already know how good/bad (depending on your experience) it is. IPv6 speeds are (albeit) something to not be desired, but it's understandable that there aren't nearly as many IPv6 peers as there are IPv4.

Meanwhile, here is an excerpt of the hdparm test I did:

hdparm -Tt /dev/vda

/dev/vda:
 Timing cached reads:   7888 MB in  2.00 seconds = 3948.87 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 210 MB in  3.01 seconds =  69.66 MB/sec

Hmm, interesting. The cached reads are really fast, which suggests some kind of wizardry. (or another inaccurate test)

The buffered speed is what we're looking at though. This is pretty reasonable, and normal for a hard drive.

Getting on to the CPU: it is faster than I'll ever need it to be for my use. Considering the price and the resources I'm getting (~4GB of RAM, 500GB of space), I'm an extremely happy camper.

Overall, it's been a great time at ExtraVM. +1 to @MikeA, as he is friendly, and is always willing to help. From my experience, he ran the extra mile, and is why I'm another happy customer. Stellar support and snappy servers are everything I'd ever want from a provider. Thanks! :)

doghouch

Comments

• YuraYura Member

What's up with all the nice and positive reviews lately? WHERE IS DRAMA??? This forum goes downhill every single day!

Thanked by 1eol
  • @Yura said:
    What's up with all the nice and positive reviews lately? WHERE IS DRAMA??? This forum goes downhill every single day!

To be fair, I don't usually write any reviews. Only providers who surpass (cough) some companies end up on a list of providers I don't ditch ;)

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

hdparm test is slow, maybe it was just at the time you tested because I get around 120-140MB/s on other KVMs on the server. But they aren't the newest either way. Thanks though!

@Yura said:

Don't worry, I was startled when I first saw "ExtraVM Review" posted here.

Thanked by 2doghouch GamerTech24
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Yura said:

To be fair, someone does slag off @cociu roughly every day now.

Thanked by 1Bopie
  • YuraYura Member

@Nekki said:
    To be fair, someone does slag off @cociu roughly every day now.

His dildo business suffered so he found a way to keep sales rolling. Now every new VPS client, after meeting with his professional support and altitude, can't wait to buy one of those joysticks to ram it up his ticket-hole raw and unlubed.

@MikeA, good job. Best of luck to you mate.

• lionlion Member

I've got myself a VM from them too a few days ago, really working well and fast support.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • GravelyGravely Member

+1 Also highly vouch for ExtraVM

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • What happened to the Premium Drama.

Can agree with the review. Did a small wp setup for a friend of mine on extravm and performance was great for the price range.

• sonicsonic Veteran

You buy 4GB Ram, 500GB Space for VPN usage only :o Must be rich man!
    BTW, kudos to ExtraVM!

• Vouch for ExtraVM, prem

• I was surprised to see such overwhelmingly positive feedback and two 1-star reviews on TrustPilot, from Sep 2018. I was wondering if ExtraVM has degraded support recently? The TrustPilot reviews mention unreliable network and unilateral server bans. Any recent experience on this provider?

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited September 2018

@michelem said:
    I was surprised to see such overwhelmingly positive feedback and two 1-star reviews on TrustPilot, from Sep 2018. I was wondering if ExtraVM has degraded support recently? The TrustPilot reviews mention unreliable network and unilateral server bans. Any recent experience on this provider?

Its still the best "Anti-DDoS Game" reseller. I can't find anything else that makes it different from other hosts. Go to ExtraVM if you have anti-ddos issues with ur existing provider, or buy directly a dedi with OVH GAME. Anti-DDoS Game is good for personal VPNs, Voice Servers, and other TCP/UDP services. For websites, I would go for BuyVM since Voxility seems to be better for websites.

ExtraVM was especially popular with TS3 servers, but since the end of cracked servers, less people use it for that purpose. Which is also good for Mike as he probly had to ask for blacklist removal from teamspeakusa after the customer left.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2018

Chills are over? looks like a handcrafted review.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited September 2018

You should get him to enable CPU passthrough for you and then re-benchmark.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited September 2018

@JoeMerit said:
    You should get him to enable CPU passthrough for you and then re-benchmark.

I was eventually moved onto an E3-1230 v3. I’m no longer with ExtraVM, but it was a pretty good year and a half :)

@michelem said:
    Trustpilot

lol. Trustpilot is terrible — they removed my review for a company after the company sent them an email saying that I was never a customer. (and this was after I sent Trustpilot a receipt and an old invoice)

Edit: Sorry @Harzem — I tagged you by mistake.

• HarzemHarzem Member
    edited September 2018

@doghouch said:

Yeah, I was reading the thread trying to understand why you mentioned me :)

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @Harzem said:

@doghouch said:

Yeah, I was reading the thread trying to understand why you mentioned me :)

He was drunk and thought you were his girlfriend again.

edited September 2018

@michelem said:
    I was surprised to see such overwhelmingly positive feedback and two 1-star reviews on TrustPilot, from Sep 2018. I was wondering if ExtraVM has degraded support recently? The TrustPilot reviews mention unreliable network and unilateral server bans. Any recent experience on this provider?

The 1 star reviews from last week are from someone who has been harassing me and has created over 100 fake accounts on my billing panel (incl. weekly PP disputes), if you are on the LET discord, occasionally you will find be bickering about the idiot for wasting my time for the past year and a half banning him every week. He started posting fake reviews online recently after he got mad when I blocked most of the networks of the VPNs he used and made my ticket departments client-only for a while. Basically he couldn't spam my tickets and couldn't take down my site with an attack, so the reviews were next (they also posted a review on another forum the same day).

unilateral server bans.

100+ unilateral bans..

Offering "DDoS Protected VPS", on OVH network or your own network is a hassle because you have to deal with people like this that are attracted to the type of service, unfortunately some who can dedicate (literally) years of their life to things like this. I'll probably delete TrustPilot if possible since they refuse to delete fake reviews unless you have a paid plan. Edit: Apparently TrustPilot doesn't allow companies to delete their profiles, and they reject reports of fake reviews and block you from reporting it again.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

MikeA said: Apparently TrustPilot doesn't allow companies to delete their profiles, and they reject reports of fake reviews and block you from reporting it again.

That's some Yelp level bullshit right there.

Francisco

• oalarooalaro Member
    edited September 2018

Can't be bothered to write such a long review.

I've been a ExtraVM customer for over a year now. Support tickets get answered in timely manner(Only needed this when there were DDoS scripts going around that bypassed OVH GAME protection ) . All issues I've ever had were OVH-s network fault so out of @MikeA -s control.

Last 9 months have been with 0 issues. Also to remind that I'm running fairly popular teamspeak server on that vps so every little hiccup would mean 10+ people writing to me and asking what's going on.

Thumbs up from me!

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • +1 to ExtraVM. Got 2 VPS from them for my game server. Works like a charm.

• Apparently TrustPilot doesn't allow companies to delete their profiles, and they reject reports of fake reviews and block you from reporting it again.

It's right that vendors can't delete reviews. If you consider a review fake and want to address it, reply to it with your perspective. That's even more powerful. https://support.trustpilot.com/hc/en-us/articles/201836983

• how much you paid for it ?

• I've been a ExtraVM customer for over a year now. Support tickets get answered in timely manner(Only needed this when there were DDoS scripts going around that bypassed OVH GAME protection ) . All issues I've ever had were OVH-s network fault so out of @MikeA -s control.

Last 9 months have been with 0 issues. Also to remind that I'm running fairly popular teamspeak server on that vps so every little hiccup would mean 10+ people writing to me and asking what's going on.

Thank you @oalaro , that's useful. I've read terrible reviews on OVH support (random issues, slow support, useless answers etc), and I was indeed skeptical how a reseller could offer a good service itself, off of an infrastructure with such problems. For example, if OVH screws up IPv6 routing, I would expect there's little @MikeA can do if their support doesn't answer until next day. Can you briefly exemplify what problems you had, how often, and how long it took for them to be addressed?

Or @MikeA gets a special support as a reseller?

Thank you

edited October 2018

@michelem said:

Apparently TrustPilot doesn't allow companies to delete their profiles, and they reject reports of fake reviews and block you from reporting it again.

It's right that vendors can't delete reviews. If you consider a review fake and want to address it, reply to it with your perspective. That's even more powerful. https://support.trustpilot.com/hc/en-us/articles/201836983

Well.... now I know TrustPilot isn't the best place for a company to respond to fake reviews. I did report it with a public message to as to why, but they deleted the public message when they rejected that it was fake. Either way, responding to a fake review won't make people decide whether a review is fake or not. The user looking for reviews should be able to determine if a user is trying to slander a company or not by the things they talk about in the reviews. In the end I will just have to deal with the fake reviews like everyone else until I give their CEO a favor or take out a loan to pay TrustPilot.

@michelem said:
    Thank you @oalaro , that's useful. I've read terrible reviews on OVH support (random issues, slow support, useless answers etc), and I was indeed skeptical how a reseller could offer a good service itself, off of an infrastructure with such problems. For example, if OVH screws up IPv6 routing, I would expect there's little @MikeA can do if their support doesn't answer until next day. Can you briefly exemplify what problems you had, how often, and how long it took for them to be addressed?

Or @MikeA gets a special support as a reseller?

I don't get any special treatment from OVH. I have had some issues in the past, but noting nearly as bad as some have. Most issues don't affect whole datacenters, like IPv6 issues, I don't recall ever having any problems. Either way I almost always credit clients if there is any major downtime. Anything like network issues I don't need to contact them since they are usually aware of problems when they happen because of their size. Everything managed by me runs well, and has for years.

VPS in Dallas are on my own hardware in Psychz, I plan to do more outside of OVH on networks that have protection in the future.

Thanked by 1michelem
  • michelem said: Can you briefly exemplify what problems you had, how often, and how long it took for them to be addressed?

They were either VAC being too aggressive and causing constant packet loss for certain ISP-s users or VAC leaking traffic under DDoS. First one got fixed pretty fast. Also it wasn't major loss. It stayed around 3-10% just enough to annoy me with the crackling it causes on teamspeak when speaking to others. This also ties in with the fact that it's really easy to notice network problems when running a teamspeak server.

Second one took 2 weeks to get new filters in place that fixed the problem(pretty fast in my opinion considering it's DDoS filtering related). Last problem could've been also solved by just switching to KVM vps so it wouldn't get suspended. But I didn't want the ip to change so I waited it out. Probably caused Mike some extra bit of work but he always unsuspended my vps after a bit of time.

Thanked by 1michelem

@oalaro said:
    Last problem could've been also solved by just switching to KVM vps so it wouldn't get suspended. But I didn't want the ip to change so I waited it out. Probably caused Mike some extra bit of work but he always unsuspended my vps after a bit of time.

If I could magically switch everyone to KVM I would instantly. Almost all issues related to Teamspeak come from high load caused by attacks specifically targeted to TS3.

• I have a KVM VPS, it's snappy AF, Mike built it to my needs and has always replied in minutes. It's so good I'm hesitant to recommend it, it literally feels like I have the bare metal all to myself.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • Thank you folks and @MikeA for your answers.

• doghouch said: CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB

3.331 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
    7.607 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
    3.882 seconds

Hopefully this should be improved by now!