Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

gre_tunnel vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

gre_tunnel vps

rudgerrudger Member

Can I use the 100/100 mbps on the vps via gre _tunnel if my homeserver bandwith is like 50/5 mbps?

Comments

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

Your crap car can only drive at 50 miles an hour, putting it on a road with a 100 mile an hour speed limit won't suddenly double its speed.

• rudgerrudger Member

Alright, will I get 100 mbps speed if my homeserver has 100 mbps speed? Or do I need a higher homeserver speed?

• @rudger said:
    Alright, will I get 100 mbps speed if my homeserver has 100 mbps speed? Or do I need a higher homeserver speed?

Theoriticaly yes.. You can get 100 mbps.

Thanked by 1rudger
  • @chocolateshirt said:

@rudger said:

wat have you been drinking?

Thanked by 2Bopie rudger
  • BopieBopie Member

@chocolateshirt said:

@rudger said:

This is not true, you will never get the full speed, there are so many factors in this that affect speed but you most likely never see the full speed

• rudgerrudger Member

So can I get 100 mbps speed if my homeserver has 200 mbps speed?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@rudger said:

That depends on the route between your server and your home.

• BopieBopie Member

@rudger said:

Ok so lets put this into a test i made a while back,

I have 2 VPS one that i want to send GRE to the other, they are both located in UK, however, one in wigan and one in bristol,

They both have 100Mbps connections (Symetrical) however I can only reach around 82Mbps with the gre active.

GRE is a great solution for DDoS protection for home servers i infact use one for my own home server that actually hosts a few of my sites but you do add ping and also you do loose speed not a major amount and as your vps has a better connection than your home server i would not imagine you would see a difference as the vps will be able to use all your connection speed easy.

For example, I have 20mbps up and down at my house and i tested my connection to my home server via the gre from another server located at a different data centre and i was able to get around 17-19 Mbps but im willing to loose some speed for the added protection.

Im still learning when it comes to GRE and such but i hope i have helped

Thanked by 1rudger
  • rudgerrudger Member

I think I understood it, I guess you also lose speed if your vps is in another country right?

• Lol.. I said within theory is yes you can, but in reality may vary because lot of factor..

• rudgerrudger Member

So would it matter (much) in speed if I would buy a vps on the other side of the world?

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • @rudger said:
    So would it matter (much) in speed if I would buy a vps on the other side of the world?

Yet, it will matter. Better buy VPS located around your home to get maximum performance

Thanked by 1rudger