Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM - Templates or ISO's
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM - Templates or ISO's

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
edited May 2017 in General

EDIT: Got enough info now thanks, no need for any further replies, leaving original text in place for reference.

Hi Folks,

Just making sure I don't have an uncommon perspective here.

Could you let me know below in this or similar format (feel free to copy/paste/quote, say 2A, 3A etc etc)

This if from the perspective of an end user.

Please pick one of these statements as the one that fits you best:

1. I only ever install from ISO, I never use templates.

2. I only ever install from templates, I never use ISO's

3. I use both but I expect the ability to use either to be available to me.

Please also pick one of the following statements:

A. When I order a VPS I like to be able to select my OS during the order process and expect to be able to SSH in pretty much straight away without any further actions or the need to login to a separate panel to complete an install.

B. When I order a VPS I like to get it blank so I can install from template or ISO myself.

C. When I order a VPS I expect to get it with just an ISO mounted so I can finish the install myself.

Opinions are greatly appreciated I know this is not every possible option but it covers most common options. Please chose the pair that fit you best.

Comments

• 2A

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • nulldevnulldev Member

Lazy so 2A for me as well

• 3B :D

• JonchunJonchun Member

3A. However, a panel should be easily accessible should I choose to deploy a production machine from iso. Rescue modes should be accessible as well.

• Ricky89Ricky89 Member

3A

• 3B

• teamaccteamacc Member

2A, depending on the quality of your templates. 3 in case of sucky templates.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

3B. So the attach poll option is broken?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

So a bit of a mix in preference of ISO or template but so far, for the most part, the majority expect it delivered pre-installed.

@exception0x876 said:
    So the attach poll option is broken?

Only for about the last 3 years yes.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited May 2017

Production server: 1C

When I'm lazy: 3A

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

3A

edited May 2017

How would you feel it it was simply delivered pre-installed with Debian stable/current 64bit and obviously you have the option to change it post purchase?

On a scale of 1 to 10

1 being that is perfectly fine I don't mind that at all.

10 being - how annoying!

?

• r0xzr0xz Member

3A

• edited May 2017

@AnthonySmith said:
    snip

• m3gfm3gf Member
    edited May 2017

2A

• lionlion Member

2A

• ikiiki Member

3A

• sanvitsanvit Member

3A

• 3A but realistically if template is well made and minimal i tend to stick with 2A

• 2A

• utamautama Member

2A

• 3A

I like knowing that the VM is on the network quickly, so I can ssh in and run some real-world tests to get a feel for what it's ideal for.

Your UK KVMs have a nice all-rounder feature set.
    (Running my personal gitlab on a deal-of-the-decade yearly.

Moved it here to free up high iops ssd dediserves for logging, analytics + time-series database server experiments .)

• nulldevnulldev Member
    edited May 2017

@AnthonySmith said:

[snip]

>

How would you feel it it was simply delivered pre-installed with Debian stable/current 64bit and obviously you have the option to change it post purchase?

On a scale of 1 to 10

10 being - how annoying!

?

• 3A i like to simply ssh to my newly delivered vps but there is multiple option when i want to reinstall my vps or if there is any bug in template reinstall so i can use iso

• rocketrocket Member

2A

AnthonySmith said: How would you feel it it was simply delivered pre-installed with Debian stable/current 64bit and obviously you have the option to change it post purchase?

On a scale of 1 to 10

• lurchlurch Member

2A minimal template. I've found some providers you select an os on sign up ie debian but after its setup it's something else centos usually.

• teamaccteamacc Member

@AnthonySmith said:

On a scale of 1 to 10

10 being - how annoying!

?

I think you would get into trouble with debian having ssh root password login disabled in their latest releases, and hence get a shitload of tickets from users that can't login.

For me personally though, annoyance level 3/10.