Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dump of the Global Routing Table
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dump of the Global Routing Table

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Hey,

I need a dump of the global routing table aka the announced subnets.

I do not need GEO, or such, just the subnets with the prefix. Can anyone provide that?

Since I do not currently have any BGP access.

Thanks.

Comments

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

Hey, what about using public route-servers? Just use route-server.ip.tiscali.net via telnet ;-)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2017

@Kabeldamagement said:
    Hey, what about using public route-servers? Just use route-server.ip.tiscali.net via telnet ;-)

Well, I want to get this done in a week.

Which means about 86k requests per day, No idea if they are happy with such a load of requests, I guess it may work when I split them over 20 Public Route servers so one gets 3 requests every 60 seconds.

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

You could fire up a vultr instance, ticket in to get BGP setup and then you can dump it yourself?

Otherwise what format you looking for? You just want prefix's mapped to ASN's or a full on MRT dump?

@r0t3n said:
    You could fire up a vultr instance, ticket in to get BGP setup and then you can dump it yourself?

Otherwise what format you looking for? You just want prefix's mapped to ASN's or a full on MRT dump?

I would guess, they suspend me for abuse when I do such a load of requests.

CSV with prefix, does not need to be mapped to an ASN but would be better.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Neoon said:

@r0t3n said:

I would guess, they suspend me for abuse when I do such a load of requests.

CSV with prefix, does not need to be mapped to an ASN but would be better.

I don't see that you understand how BGP works.

If Vultr provided full table, then as the session establishes it will send you full table straight to your server. You can then use ExaBGP to dump it for example.

Routing table changes thousands times a day. What's the purpose of one off dump ??

Thanked by 2vimalware ucxo
  • tomletomle Member, LIR

@Neoon said:

Well, I want to get this done in a week.

Which means about 86k requests per day, No idea if they are happy with such a load of requests, I guess it may work when I split them over 20 Public Route servers so one gets 3 requests every 60 seconds.

Not sure what you mean, just use the public route server such as loop0.route-server.phx1.gblx.net, typeshow bgp ipv4 unicast and save the output to some text file or similar. Then you can convert that into whatever format you need.

Thanked by 1vimalware
    edited May 2017

@Clouvider said:
    I don't see that you understand how BGP works.

If Vultr provided full table, then as the session establishes it will send you full table straight to your server. You can then use ExaBGP to dump it for example.

Routing table changes thousands times a day. What's the purpose of one off dump ??

Well, I never used BGP before and if I just find commands to get the information for a single subnet, it ends in tons of requests which is always kinda bad.

@tomle said:
    Not sure what you mean, just use the public route server such as loop0.route-server.phx1.gblx.net, typeshow bgp ipv4 unicast and save the output to some text file or similar. Then you can convert that into whatever format you need.

Thanks bro.

• rds100rds100 Member

So you want to list the full BGP table of 600k+ prefixes every second? I don't think any router can handle that kind of load. A full dump of the BGP table takes more than a second.

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

What is your actual use case? Are you needing realtime routing information?

I have a nodejs web app which uses bird as its backend which allows me to query realtime ASN<->IP mappings via a web api, but that is overkill if you don't need realtime routing information.

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

Vultr do provide full routing tables as well, their default bgp config is import none, but set it to import all and you can get a full table from them.

• AlyssaDAlyssaD Member

@r0t3n said:

How much does this cost?

• IshaqIshaq Member

@AlyssaD said: How much does this cost?

Vultr BGP session? Free, I believe.

• r0t3nr0t3n Member
    edited May 2017

@AlyssaD just the cost of the instance(s) you decide to run BGP on.

BGP is available in all their locations. I personally do not route any prefixes through Vultr so they set me up with a private ASN as I only required table lookup. No idea if their policies have changed since then and if they force you to provide an ASN now.

https://vultr.com/features/bgp/

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Enjoy http://archive.routeviews.org/ just fetch the file and process

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

For those interested in running their own BGPd with a web/api frontend for quick real-time table lookups for whatever reason, take a look at https://github.com/r0t3n/bgpre

Do note its made to work around my own folk of Bird https://github.com/r0t3n/bird with some added features/improvements for my use case (json output directly from the bird daemon, better loop performance for AS lookups with new sub-command 'show route as ?count?').

Excuse the messy code, was never really made to be public, but it works.

Example output for ASN lookup:

/* 294(number of announced prefixes) from 15169(ASN) */ 104.154.0.0/15 [20473 15169] vultr_newyork 35.200.0.0/14 [20473 15169] vultr_newyork 108.170.192.0/18 [20473 15169] vultr_newyork 209.85.128.0/17 [20473 15169] vultr_newyork 192.178.0.0/15 [20473 15169] vultr_newyork .......

Same output for IP lookup too. Just tinker with the .jade files to spit out your preferred output format.

Hope this can be useful for someone.

• jtkjtk Member

@Neoon said:
    I do not need GEO, or such, just the subnets with the prefix. Can anyone provide that?

Practically all the routing data you could want you can find here:

RIPE also has a service and I'm sure there are other options, but the above is one of the oldest and easiest to download and utilize.

• rds100rds100 Member

It is not a problem to download the routing table. It is a problem to download the fresh routing table each second.

edited May 2017

@rds100 said:
    It is not a problem to download the routing table. It is a problem to download the fresh routing table each second.

I never said that I want to download the whole routing table every second.

That was about each request which was for a single block.

Sorry if that was misunderstanding.

Anyway, the mods can close here, but one flag is not enought, maybe we need more.

Thanked by 2rds100 doghouch
This discussion has been closed.