Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Solved] Can't to upgrade kernel from 3.10 to 4.11 in Dediserve
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Solved] Can't to upgrade kernel from 3.10 to 4.11 in Dediserve

noqqkknoqqkk Member
edited May 2017 in Help

I can upgrade kernel from 3.10 to latest version in all VPS providers such as vultr, ramnode or linode etc except dediserve.

I tried to search this problem in google and tried 2 days using different methods but still not succeed.

Anyone can help. Many thanks.

Problem : seems missing grub2 in centos 7.3. Googled 2 days but still can't find out the solution for grub2 installation

*** Get below error when I input the first command of kernel upgrading. ***

Error messages in SSH : grep: /boot/grub2/grub.cfg: No such file or directory

Thanked by 1dediserve

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

What's with this Dediserve support threads here ? You can raise a support ticket with them and see if this is even supported.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

intel e3 v5 has known issues with kernel upgrades,ask them to move you a to an old cpu .

Thanked by 1noqqkk
  • DamianDamian Member

hostdare said: intel e3 v5 has known issues with kernel upgrades

Where are you getting this information? I just moved to 4.11 because of issues with older kernels on Intel *lake processors.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Damian said:

Where are you getting this information? I just moved to 4.11 because of issues with older kernels on Intel *lake processors.

Huh ? What known issues on what kernels with E3 v5?

We run from 2.6 to 4.1 with zero issues on E3 v5 and v6

Thanked by 1noqqkk
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

You have other issue preventing yum from doing the upgrade. It should of spit out errors on the console.

Thanked by 1noqqkk
  • DamianDamian Member
    edited May 2017

Mine is probably specific to the usage scenario: issues with IOMMU for PCI-E passthrough on a Kaby Lake platform with kernels older than 4.10. The specific issue encountered, regarding enumeration of IOMMU groups with legacy PCI devices present, was fixed in 4.10.

Was looking for information from @hostdare in case there was some sort of unexpected landmine I hadn't encountered, unless he was just writing for the sake of writing.

Thanked by 2vimalware noqqkk
  • sinsin Member

I know with some OnApp providers you have to use grub-legacy or here's a work around that I use: https://help.onapp.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/211114648-Please-remove-grub-legacy-from-CentOS-7-and-Ubuntu-14-04-LTS to install grub2 and boot.

Thanked by 1noqqkk
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

@Clouvider said:

@Damian said:

Huh ? What known issues on what kernels with E3 v5?

We run from 2.6 to 4.1 with zero issues on E3 v5 and v6

Is that for running KVM nodes ? If you hide the cpu,it does not cause though !

I am running 6 nodes of V5 for KVM nodes facing same issue where upgrading cause irrecoverable kernel panics .

Thanked by 1noqqkk
  • avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider

You need to install grub-pc then reinstall grub

intel e3 v5 has known issues with kernel upgrades,ask them to move you a to an old cpu .

@hostdare This problem isn't caused by E3 / E5 CPU. It's about OnApp templates.

Thanked by 2noqqkk hostdare
  • noqqkknoqqkk Member

Thanks all. I can upgrade kernel in Dediserve now.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • noqqkknoqqkk Member

I did not upgrade grub to grub2. Below is listed my solution.

(1) Open grub.conf which you can find the item "default" is 0

(2) Download latest kernel then install

(3) Open again grub.conf which you can find the item "default" is changed to 1 or 2 or 3

(4) Edit grub.conf file

(5) Change the item "default" to 0 (or sometime may be 1)

(6) Reboot OS

(7) uname -r to check the current kernel version. The latest version of kernel should be installed

Thanked by 1dediserve