Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digitalocean Droplet disk space full, CentOS not booting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digitalocean Droplet disk space full, CentOS not booting

HybridHybrid Member
edited May 2017 in Help

I have a DO droplet,

The disk space went full overnight, I think cause of an auto backup, and now the droplet which is running CentOS is not booting. I can't access it from SSH nor console.

I wanna free some space, been waiting several hours for DO's support to boot droplet from ISO image, but still no reply.

Is there anything else I can do to mount the Harddisk and free some space?

(I tried fsck from recovery Kernel, but no luck, and it seems I can't mount the harddisk in write mode, or maybe I did it wrong?)

Comments

• mosan7763mosan7763 Member
    edited May 2017

my thought would be, make a snapshot. temporarily restore the snapshot on a droplet with bigger disk. free up some space. take a snapshot of the droplet with free'd space. restore onto the smaller one again.

edit: i think this will fail tho. since snapshots can only be restored on disks with the same total size...

Thanked by 1Hybrid
  • sanvitsanvit Member

Ask support to mount recovery disk

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@jarland to the rescue :)

Thanked by 3joeri Hybrid Pwner
  • HybridHybrid Member

@sanvit said:

Already did, been waiting for hours & hours

• m3gfm3gf Member

global ticket system .

but , @jarland

Thanked by 1Hybrid
  • SpaceNautSpaceNaut Member
    edited May 2017

That's the reason why you should never use a pre-installed operating System: The hoster fucks up the partition and you only have problems. Please use a "atomic" LVM Setup on your next server, you will be luckier than now!

That's not the hosters problem but yours and everyone who owns and runs a public server should know how to handle a full harddisk!

The easiest way to handle this problem on digitalocean:

1. Boot a live iso
    2. mount your harddisk
    3. free up space
    4. reboot
    5. profit
  • HybridHybrid Member
    edited May 2017

No one is blaming DO, i just want them to load the recovery ISO image, or just wondering if there's any other way, but I guess there isn't

• sanvitsanvit Member

@mosan7763 said:
    my thought would be, make a snapshot. temporarily restore the snapshot on a droplet with bigger disk. free up some space. take a snapshot of the droplet with free'd space. restore onto the smaller one again.

edit: i think this will fail tho. since snapshots can only be restored on disks with the same total size...

I think this would actually work. Have you tried this?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@SpaceNaut has the correct procedure for recovery.

Normally though Disk space is reserved for root in cases like this (w/ ext filesystems, no need for lvm). Strong reason not to run anything as root if you can help it.

• edited May 2017

@Hybrid said:
    (I tried fsck from recovery Kernel, but no luck, and it seems I can't mount the harddisk in write mode, or maybe I did it wrong?)

>

fsck is filesystem check, and it's used to make sure the filesystem is consistent, which isn't the problem. The recovery kernel is for when an otherwise functional install has been borked by a bad config, or something like that. Neither of those are going to help when / has been filled up.

@Hybrid said:
    No one is blaming DO, i just want them to load the recovery ISO image, or just wondering if there's any other way, but I guess there isn't

>

Blow it away and recover from backups is another way.

Thanked by 1Hybrid
  • HybridHybrid Member

It seems the harddisk wasn't full,

the kernel was in panic mode,

I was able to boot from GRUB, and I'm still trying to fix the damaged kernel.

Thanks for the help guys

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Hybrid said:

@sanvit said:

Already did, been waiting for hours & hours

Apologies for that. An issue yesterday caused a backlog. Took a bit of time to recover. Working on adding to the team to help keep wait times down.

Thanked by 3Foul Hybrid Ympker