Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High availability hosting, where to start?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

High availability hosting, where to start?

rocketrocket Member

I've got loads of spare VPS sat around doing nothing (were used for something else, not needed now) which I'd to use to try and setup a high availability system for a few websites I have.

All of the websites run WordPress so I know I'll need to make sure the database and files are always going to be the same on all of the servers at the same time. I also don't know how to get the visitors to go to a different server when another is down, I assume I'll need to use some DNS tricks but I'm not sure how, I currently use Cloudflare for all of the websites.

How should I go about getting the system setup, using all of the spare VPS I have from different providers?

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Options:

• DNS round robin
    • Load balancers and MySQL replication (which be native or something active-active like Galera)
    • Some kind of virtual IP-based failover (e.g. Pacemaker) in conjunction with MySQL replication. You'll want block storage here. You could do this at either the DB tier or web tier or both

Essentially you have two or three problems:

1. Make the DBs consistent
    2. Make your visitors always get to a web server that can talk to those DBs
    3. Keeping any non-database stuff (e.g., you upload an image in Wordpress) consistent

Your tools are replication, virtual IPs, load balancers, and/or DNS. You really can do all of this without DNS trickery but it depends what you want.

DO has some good tutorials on these. For HA setups, you will probably be happiest at a DO, Vultr, or Linode kind of host because they have fancier options.

• rocketrocket Member

raindog308 said: DNS round robin

Load balancers and MySQL replication (which be native or something active-active like Galera)

These two sound like they'll be the easiest so I'll check into these.

raindog308 said: Your tools are replication, virtual IPs, load balancers, and/or DNS. You really can do all of this without DNS trickery but it depends what you want.

DO has some good tutorials on these. For HA setups, you will probably be happiest at a DO, Vultr, or Linode kind of host because they have fancier options.

I'll have a read around on the DO tutorials and see if I can pick anything up. Thanks!

• https://www.linode.com/docs/websites/host-a-website-with-high-availability
    This tutorial will provide you with a good start on high availability website schematic design and deployment.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep