Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chicago VPS Restore from Central Backup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Chicago VPS Restore from Central Backup

oddcopteroddcopter Member
edited June 2013 in General

Chris Fabozzi
Director of Operations
ChicagoVPS

said the following on Facebook:

For customers on those nodes, if you ran a Central Backup your data is absolutely safe and you may request a restoration via ticket. Customers who were not on the nodes with corrupted secondary backups can request a restoration regardless of whether they utilized the free Central Backup feature. The restoration process currently has a 6-12 hour lead time once you’ve requested it.

I ran Central Backup on my VPS and have opened tickets to have the most recent one restored. The tickets get an auto response telling me to use my own backups and having them restore it would take 3-4 days. Then, the tickets are flagged as "answered" and nothing happens.

I would just like to know if my "data is absolutely safe" as stated above and why I can't get a ticket acted upon in "6-12 hours"?

Any ideas? Hard to know what to believe though I appreciate your effort.

Comments

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2013

Hello,

It takes 6-12 hours because of the number of tickets coming in. If you ran central backup like you said, then there is a very very good change your data is just fine.

Please update the ticket to bump it, to ensure a support rep gets to look at it

• Ok, I basically said the same thing again as a reply on three tickets submitted since Thursday asking to restore from my most recent Central Backup. Hope that works! I hate to have multiple tickets for the same thing.

However, this was caused by getting a response telling me to use my own backups and having them restored would take 3-4 days. Then, the tickets are flagged as "answered" and nothing happens.

• I appreciate your effort and am sure it has been a trying time for all. I really don't want to be the squeaky wheel, but please try to take the time to communicate clearly and follow through on commitments. If you tell it like it is, I am sure we can handle it. Mixed signals and broken commitments are frustrating.

• This is getting ridiculous. Here is my most recent dialouge with CVPS after doing this for days:

Ok, I will ask again. Please restore my VPS from my latest Central Backup. Sorry for multiple tickets, but it doesn't seem to be happening.

And here is CVPS's response:

Please do not submit duplicate tickets as it only results to further delays and confusions. We will be placing your ticket to our restorations queue. Please do not reply to this ticket as it will bring the ticket status back to "Customer-Reply" status. Your ticket will be attended to before the end of today.

Thank you for your patience.

At that point the status on my ticket was changed to "Restore" and I thought it might actually happen!!!

Then tonight I get this from them:

Unfortunately backups for your container from our master backup repository are not available. If you utilized our free Central Backup feature to create a restore point for your service we can restore from that backup. If you did not utilize that free service we do not have backups and will be unable to restore any of your data.

NOW THE TICKET IS CLOSED!! Are you kidding me? I asked to have my VPS restored from my Central Backup restore point.

• @oddcopter It's wasting time and energy, They don't care...Move on..

• oddcopteroddcopter Member
    edited June 2013

@MorningIris said:
    oddcopter It's wasting time and energy, They don't care...Move on..

I must admit either they can't read or I am being played, which makes no sense from a marketing, customer service perspective. The truth would be much easier.

• This did get done last night thanks to Jacob and Matthew. I appreciate it. First thing I did was do a local backup.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Hello,

This was just a misunderstanding and I am sure the tech missed the central backup part. As I am sure you can imagine our techs are overwhelmed right now with the large number of tickets coming in for restore requests and did a quick scan of yours.

I am glad this got resolved for you :)

• CVPS_Chris any eta on when the Virtual Server Control Panel will return?

• oddcopter learns a lesson. Nice first thread.