Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated server or VPS for under £12?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated server or VPS for under £12?

iamthepizzaiamthepizza Member
edited May 2017 in Requests

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any offers or suggestions for providers of dedicated servers under the £12 mark? I've had a look on the list that rED has very kindly put together but all of the servers on there were either 100mbps or were over my budget. A VPS would also be an option, if anyone knows of any providers that have such an offering?

The server would be used as a seedbox for racing (mostly just autoDL really :P) "linux isos" on private trackers, but with a few public trackers for random things every now and then. It would also be used to potentially host a few low traffic websites (under 1k hits a month).

So basically, does anyone have any suggestions for a 1gbps (burstable) server for under £12 with 800GB+ storage - wishful thinking I know but I thought it would be worth asking.

Edit: I messed up the title.

Comments

• Thanks for the link. My only question is if I can actually burst to 1gb for like 10 mins every now and then or if there's a 95th percentile method or something that's used to measure traffic utilisation (I want to make sure I don't abuse the service :D)

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Online.net Dedibox SC 2016 or our V-Dedicated Avoton (it is Online.net special) - https://www.wishosting.com/order/main/packages/hybrid_servers/?group_id=5

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • @exception0x876 said:
    Online.net Dedibox SC 2016 or our V-Dedicated Avoton (it is Online.net special) - https://www.wishosting.com/order/main/packages/hybrid_servers/?group_id=5

Just wondering - what actually is your V-dedicated offering - I presume a hypervisor running on the hardware and then the whole machine allocated to the user but I'm not 100% sure what the advantages of that would be over a regular baremetal system?

• teamaccteamacc Member

@iamthepizza said:

@exception0x876 said:

Just wondering - what actually is your V-dedicated offering - I presume a hypervisor running on the hardware and then the whole machine allocated to the user but I'm not 100% sure what the advantages of that would be over a regular baremetal system?

Mostly for the host, he doesn't need to write custom plugins for online's control panel etc, he can just use the KVM stuff

@iamthepizza said:

Yes, that's correct. There are no advantages to the user except fast reinstallations.

Thanked by 2iamthepizza Yura
  • @exception0x876 said:
    Yes, that's correct. There are no advantages to the user except fast reinstallations.

I see. Is there any chance of buying one from you but instead of having the hypervisor installed, you just allow a KVM session for me and I install it and configure it all from my end? (Probably not as I'm guessing the setup is all scripted but it's worth a try :) )

@iamthepizza said:
    I see. Is there any chance of buying one from you but instead of having the hypervisor installed, you just allow a KVM session for me and I install it and configure it all from my end? (Probably not as I'm guessing the setup is all scripted but it's worth a try :) )

Sorry, not possible. There is at least one other guy reselling those online specials on LET, I bet you'll find him if you create a separate thread.

• iamthepizzaiamthepizza Member
    edited May 2017

@exception0x876 said:
    Sorry, not possible. There is at least one other guy reselling those online specials on LET, I bet you'll find him if you create a separate thread.

No probs. I reckon what I might do is make a thread for that and if nothing happens, I'll take one on Wednesday if that's OK. Do you allow custom ISOs or is it all template based?

• YuraYura Member

Go with Wishosting. Michael is a no-BS guy and his services are good.

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Mmmm why don't you order a hosted NAS ?

Thanked by 1Bopie
  • @Ikoula said:
    Mmmm why don't you order a hosted NAS ?

I considered that but thought performance wouldn't be very good when seeding lots of torrents and simultaneously downloading.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited May 2017

First option on this page: http://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/paris-france might do the trick, albeit slightly above your budget

Intel Atom C2750 / 1TB HDD / 8GB RAM / Unlimited traffic* / 1Gbps Port / 15 € per month / Paris

It's a online.net resell so you have to abide by their "fair use" for the port. Don't remember what the specifics were but something like not sustaining traffic above 100mbps for an extended period of time.

• exception0x876 said: Yes, that's correct. There are no advantages to the user except fast reinstallations.

and cheap licenses =)

• @MasonR said:
    First option on this page: http://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/paris-france might do the trick, albeit slightly above your budget

That certainly doesn't look bad. I was looking at it and it said that the GTI was N+4 - do you by any chance know what that means?

iamthepizza said: That certainly doesn't look bad. I was looking at it and it said that the GTI was N+4 - do you by any chance know what that means?

Beats me. Where do you see that? Might help if I know the context.

• @MasonR said:

It's on the online.net page for the server direct from them - http://imgur.com/9ANiaR3

@iamthepizza said:

@MasonR said:

It's on the online.net page for the server direct from them - http://imgur.com/9ANiaR3

After some research, it means response time.

GTI : Garantie de Temps d'Intervention = Guaranteed response time

So tickets have a response time of 4 hours. But if you go with the oneprovider deal they act as the mediator between you can online.net, so I'm not sure what their response times are.

Thanked by 1iamthepizza
  • @MasonR said:
    After some research, it means response time.

GTI : Garantie de Temps d'Intervention = Guaranteed response time

So tickets have a response time of 4 hours. But if you go with the oneprovider deal they act as the mediator between you can online.net, so I'm not sure what their response times are.

Ah, thank you very much - I also googled it but found that it meant "Gateway Transaction Interface" which made absolutely no sense - I didn't think to check what it meant in French.

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred

oneprovider is ok , but you shouldn't go above 250 for extended periods of time. I mean like hours not minutes. I have a box with them and excluding weekends they respond within 24 hours. Sometimes faster depends on when you catch them. DO NOT depends on the Drac/ILO there as it is older and buggy. I mean for the price they are not to bad.

• @AuroraZ said:
    oneprovider is ok , but you shouldn't go above 250 for extended periods of time. I mean like hours not minutes. I have a box with them and excluding weekends they respond within 24 hours. Sometimes faster depends on when you catch them. DO NOT depends on the Drac/ILO there as it is older and buggy. I mean for the price they are not to bad.

Thanks for the heads up. I used to have a C2750 128GB directly from online and used the KVM on that - is it the same as that or worse? Do you have a rough amount/estimate of traffic you've managed to push on it by any chance?

• XEOVOXEOVO Member

We can make a custom plan with the 800GB additional disk. Contact us for more information [email protected]

• XEOVO said: We can make a custom plan with the 800GB additional disk

i dont see your provider tag...

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred

@iamthepizza said:

@AuroraZ said:

Thanks for the heads up. I used to have a C2750 128GB directly from online and used the KVM on that - is it the same as that or worse? Do you have a rough amount/estimate of traffic you've managed to push on it by any chance?

I have had it crash multiple times, and can get about 20 mins out of it, if I am lucky. No chance to install an iso. I have have not pushed it so no clue on the data.

Thanked by 1iamthepizza