Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plesk sold to big capital for $105 Million
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plesk sold to big capital for $105 Million

emreemre Member, LIR
edited May 2017 in General

Plesk sold to big Capital becoming an independent company from Parallels

http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/oakley-capital-acquires-plesk-for-105-million

Comments

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2017

Yay! Time for price changes and revaluation of the current work force. Im so excited to see how much the prices will change for cheaper and how much better the support will become after The Capital takes over.

This is great news for all current customers. It's only obvious that they'll look earnestly for ways to develop the current product and customer support for better and increase R&D funding by half.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

stefeman said: all current customers

Are there still Plesk customers?

I ran into it once, years ago....

• LeeLee Veteran

raindog308 said: I ran into it once

What the only customer or Plesk?

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • jenkkijenkki Member

Plesk more preferred by European host providers, very rare for US

Plesk really better than cPanel

Thanked by 2joeri Talistech
  • jadenjaden Member

I misread the headline as Plex being sold and was about to have a coronary. raindog asking if there were any customers left made my head spin until I realized my mistake.

Phew!

Thanked by 2raindog308 netomx
  • WHTWHT Member

Who uses plesk? Is this a cp for windows servers?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

@WHT said:

Plenty of companies do. Especially in Europe. They have far smaller market share then cPanel naturally.

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited May 2017

@Clouvider said:

@WHT said:

Plenty of companies do. Especially in Europe. They have far smaller market share then cPanel naturally.

Hosts in Germany seems to give those Plesk licences away with their servers a lot.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I use Plesk and prefer it to cPanel unless it's being used for a large environment.

• Most of the users prefer to cPanel instead of Plesk :D

• DamianDamian Member

jenkki said: Plesk really better than cPanel

You must not be a host.

• gleertgleert Member, Host Rep

Damian said: You must not be a host.

In Europe it is used a lot, and since version 12 it has improved a lot. The new "Onyx" version is a very capable, feature rich and stable version....

• cPanel blows Plesk away, but this is just my opinion from my brief experience with Plesk. To each their own.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

@gleert Agreed, Docker integration and the WordPress administration thingymebob is really nice. The only unfortunate thing is the lack of third party plugins/extensions.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • Plesk stepped up their game quite a bit over the last year or so. The product improved drastically and the integration with Docker, Git, NodeJS and Nginx are pretty nice. It's not as nice for shared hosting as cPanel, but certainly is great for certain things.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2017

raindog308 said: Are there still Plesk customers?

It's amazing now. I have 3 licenses. Hit me up if you want to check it out sometime, I'll toss an account on it.

ElliotJ said: The only unfortunate thing is the lack of third party plugins/extensions.

The ones they have are pretty great though. There's even a MailChannels one in there. Install, give user/pass, all email routes through MailChannels....done. Just like that.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

@DigitalFrye For real. If you host any quantity of WordPress sites for clients, it's a life saver when Plesk emails you, daily, with a status report for any WordPress core/plugin updates. Saves many a 'why has my website been hacked' headache.

Thanked by 2DigitalFyre Amitz
  • ElliotJ said: For real. If you host any quantity of WordPress sites for clients, it's a life saver when Plesk emails you, daily, with a status report for any WordPress core/plugin updates. Saves many a 'why has my website been hacked' headache.

We do, and it is.

It started when customers needed something for their WordPress site that was not cPanel and had Let's Encrypt HTTP2, Nginx, Automatic updates & clone etc... Plesk + WordPress Toolkit came to the rescue. Some clients just wanted a control panel for their VMs that costs less than cPanel and give them a lot of its features. A $5.00/mo Plesk license made a whole lot of sense for them and so far they have been extremely happy. We ended up offering a Plesk-based hosting product that offers something similar to what Mediatemple offers but cheaper.

• emgemg Veteran

As a shared hosting end user, I prefer Plesk to cPanel. The reason is simple: With Plesk, I can create individual accounts for family members to create and manage their own domains, websites, and email accounts. One of my children has a hobby domain and website, for example. With Plesk, they had their own account, and I kept control of the master account. When we switched to shared hosting with cPanel, I had to share the master password with my child. You could not restrict them to only their domain and website.

• AmitzAmitz Member

You guys make me want want to reconsider Plesk as a hosting panel. I still know it from way back in the days when it was a pure pain in the ass. Seems that it improved a lot over the years!

• watwatwatwatwatwat Member
    edited May 2017

My issue with plesk is the licensing. Get rid of the licensing tiers and simplify it like cpanel's. Until that day, plesk will be a steaming pile of garbage before we even talk about its technical features.

• Amitz said: You guys make me want want to reconsider Plesk as a hosting panel

You should! Man, our customers love it!

watwatwat said: My issue with plesk is the licensing. Get rid of the licensing tiers and simplify it like cpanel's

Please keep in mind that Plesk gives you a 10-Domain license for $5.00/mo (or less), while with cPanel you have to pay for the full license regardless of whether or not this is for a single site or 100 sites. Technically, the pricing tiers are in place to accommodate more budget friendly users.

Further, you get Plesk working perfectly on a 512MB VPS with 10 GB Disk. I've done it so many times. Meanwhile, cPanel wants 2 GB RAM / 40 GB Disk to run (forget the minimum requirements, it's nonsense). Also Plesk will run on CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu while cPanel forces you to use CentOS.

My 2¢.

Disclaimer: Yes, I am advocating for Plesk because I genuinely believe it's a great product.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • farnoxfarnox Member
    edited May 2017

We were using Plesk a few years ago but it was a pain. No way this worked on a 512MB vps. Haven't checked out Plesk Onyx though. Liveconfig is a very nice option as well.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Plesk is pretty decent. Any user wanting a Windows panel that isn't a pain to setup will be using it. cPanel has the issue that pages/sections differ in flow, placement, etc, but Plesk has pretty eye-candy friendly the entire time.

I've never used it on the Linux side though, only Windows.

Francisco

• farnox said: Haven't checked out Plesk Onyx though. Liveconfig is a very nice option as well.

I can confirm that I have Onyx 17.5.3 is running on a 512 MB Ram 1 CPU Core VPS like a champ.

• I personally prefer Plesk over cPanel. It's more user-friendly for me and they have stepped up their game after releasing the onyx (And git/node.js/Ruby support is awesome to have)

• AmitzAmitz Member

Mmmh. What a pity. I own a shitload of domains that I have to host and manage. Seems I need the most expensive license tier of Plesk in that case. . I'd probably stay with Virtualmin then, though it is tempting after reading your opinions...

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited May 2017

raindog308 said: Are there still Plesk customers?

I'm a good % through a fingerprint check on domain home pages. There's 2.6 million non-subdomains that are showing a plesk fingerprint, the fingerprint being certain HTTP headers or inclusion of a specific JS file.

Seems like a non-crazy price considering the valuations of other online ventures.

Don't know the buyer, but certainly the potential to track/monetise plesk powered sites seems vast.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Wasn't there a plesk reseller that had super cheap licenses, like 4 usd no domain limit?
    IIRC not sure. Seen it in LET.

• I think the cheapest a Plesk Partner can get for Plesk Unlimited VPS is like $8 or $9/mo depending on their tier, unless this reseller is grandfathered or their volume is titanic.