Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM - Not configuring the network right?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM - Not configuring the network right?

smibasmiba Member
edited June 2013 in Help

My SolusVM installation does not configure the network right.. I need to edit it manually. Is there a way i can change his configuration? I just need to change the broadcast ip and the router ip..

For when i'm opening to customers i want them to be available within 5 minutes, and this takes more then 5 minutes :/

Thanks

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Try again and see if you could give us some relevant information :)

• smibasmiba Member
    edited June 2013

The generated configuration is the following:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet static

address 176.31.210.210

dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

The config that works is:

auto lo eth0

iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static

address 176.31.210.210

netmask 255.255.255.255

broadcast 176.31.210.210

post-up route add 178.32.242.254

post-up route add default gw 178.32.242.254

post-down route del 178.32.242.254 dev eth0

post-down route del default gw 178.32.242.254

Ovh is such a crap.. I should have listened to those who did not recommend them..

• c0yc0y Member
    edited June 2013

Hi @smiba,

We have had this issue too when we used OVH for a development machine last year. We contacted SolusVM and they said they were aware as they have a few boxes with OVH too, but refused to fix it. (for example with options to tweak the generated config)

I strongly discourage you trying to start a VPS company on OVH servers, they are simply not meant for it. You are not going to earn more than about $10/mo with them, you will only get headache.

There are better VPS deals that don't use OVH and are well established, it's really not that easy to make money with VPS, it's an overall serious business. Looking at past OVH VPS businesses (especially the ones that started during summer) most have not survived it. And you are likely to not even make it to LowEndBox.com.

VPS hosting is a serious business; people rely on you keeping everything stable and keeping their data safe. You need knowledge about Linux, visualization and financial skills. (e.g. being able to write a business plan) By the looks of your post in the introduction thread you are... no offense, but 13?

I wish you good luck my young friend, but I can tell you now, this will be a though summer and you'll be wasting your money.

• smibasmiba Member

Yes, I'm 14 and working with linux systems for about 2 years now. Smiba Hosting (My company) currently has 3 servers. They're not OVH hosted, but i just couldn't afford the investment in more high priced server hardware.. And was differently a bad decision. I'm trying to make the best of it now. Once I've configured the system i do not expect much server problems.

• You should order a vRack with a VLAN. Then you can use it normally.

• @smiba said:
    Yes, I'm 14 and working with linux systems for about 2 years now. Smiba Hosting (My company) currently has 3 servers. They're not OVH hosted, but i just couldn't afford the investment in more high priced server hardware.. And was differently a bad decision. I'm trying to make the best of it now. Once I've configured the system i do not expect much server problems.

You're 14 - you don't have a company. You have something to occupy your time until school starts.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@smiba said:

I advise you to stop in your tracks.. I'm 15, turning 16 soon hopefully and I started playing with Linux from an age of 12 but that didn't mean that I was confident in virtualization or running a company professionally and despite wanting to start a VPS host I did not. That was a good decision too, because you'll soon learn how much you don't know and how much you thought you knew. Not to put you down or anything. ;-)

Live up to your dreams, as long as they are attainable. If you cannot even do simple IP management and editing a network config I'm not sure how you are going to manage clients and especially when a disaster happens (they do happen) how you would clean it up.

• smibasmiba Member

@fileMEDIA said:
    You should order a vRack with a VLAN. Then you can use it normally.

I prefer Dedicated servers

@MrObvious said:
    You're 14 - you don't have a company. You have something to occupy your time until school starts.

Does it matter? As long the servers and the support is good whats the problem? Smiba Hosting is a legitimate registrated dutch company.

@Zen said:
    Please DO NOT tell me that you are planning on serving customers, and yet you have no idea how to navigate and use SolusVM? I mean, you just admitted you can't ride a bike with the training wheels.

I'm not new with this stuff, i even can create it from the terminal. And it seems that ovh is the problem here.. OpenVZ just works fine.

@Infinity said:
    If you cannot even do simple IP management and editing a network config I'm not sure how you are going to manage clients and especially when a disaster happens (they do happen) how you would clean it up.

I can edit a network config, but the problem is ovh's routeing system breaks the automatic network configuration. And making weakly backups and upload them to a remote backup server its that hard either. The HDD is running at RAID1 which i configured myself with mdadm

• JTRJTR Member

Fourteen is far too young, go read a book or two and play outside. Don't waste your time on a doomed attempt to run a VPS company.

• @smiba said:

Go search hosts that went under or lost servers because of abuse. OHV is not tolerant of any kid of abuse your customers may engage in and frankly LEB's attract abusers.

• If you need anything hosted, I have dedicated cloud or two, with OVH. I can host whatever your running for at least 1/2 the price. Start up fee very low to convert you over to my cloud.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@nakedgoat_ said: at least 1/2 the price

• Yep, please email me [email protected]

• @smiba said:
    I prefer Dedicated servers

That´s having nothing do with it. Do you mean a vRack option is a rack? Oh no..

For you: You need a VLAN between all servers do get a gateway address inside your ip subnet. The vRack option is only a addon to get a VLAN for your dedicated servers, nothing more.

• smibasmiba Member

I think i found the problem...

(And because of this i can't transfer my ip block to my vrack)