Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SPF help needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SPF help needed

michaelsmichaels Member
edited May 2017 in Help

Hi All,
I know this is a little off topic so apologies! I am having a very odd issue with SPF and Office 365.

I have an SPF record setup (a fairly standard one with a couple of IPs allowed to send for the domain), but O365 seems to be ignoring it.

This is in the header of the email

Received-SPF: None (protection.outlook.com: mydomain does not designate permitted sender hosts)

and this is then marked

"This sender failed our fraud detection checks and may not be who they appear to be. Learn about spoofing Feedback"

I have the IP in the SPF record and it validates ok, so what am I missing? Will raise it with MS tomorrow, but they seem to like to do everything over the phone. Any tips?

TIA

Michael

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

So you're saying that only Office doesn't accept it but other mail servers do?

• That's a good question! I will try and check. This is a webform just submitting to an email address (on the same domain). I will change the form and report back :)

• If the SPF record is set properly, Received-SPF: should pass. . .

Check with http://dkimvalidator.com (checks both SPF and DKIM)

However, Microsoft might have to whitelist your domain. They have a form to request this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/getsupport?oaspworkflow=start_1.0.0.0&wfname=capsub&productkey=edfsmsbl3&locale=en-us&ccsid=635639051175184163

• Yeah that's what I thought and it does pass all the spf testers I've put it through. The domain is already in office 365. I guess I'll speak to support tomorrow.
    Thanks both.

• Probably DNS propagation delays. You need to wait for Microsoft's resolvers to pick up your new SPF record.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

+1 i am aware that when you use O365 it has to be declared at Microsoft and i am almost sure it is not taken into account instantly. Consider you can wait up to 72h.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Ikoula said: +1 i am aware that when you use O365 it has to be declared at Microsoft and i am almost sure it is not taken into account instantly. Consider you can wait up to 72h.

Not any more. During business hours, expect a reply with 1-3 hours - when using that link to whitelist your domain/ip. It then takes 24 hours (usually less), for it to reflect.

:)

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Was referring to world dns replication delay, it can take up to 72h (old tech habit).

• The record has been in place for a number of days. I have raised a call with Microsoft and they say it should be working, so at least I haven't done something stupid. I will let you know when they come back with something!

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@michaels said:
    The record has been in place for a number of days. I have raised a call with Microsoft and they say it should be working, so at least I haven't done something stupid. I will let you know when they come back with something!

Gmail is a useful tool for checking SPF. Send yourself an email from that account to your Gmail account, then in Gmail check the headers of the email: it'll clearly say whether the SPF check was successful or not.

• I've already used a number of tools to validate the SPF settings, as well as going through the message header and finding that Microsoft appear to be ignoring it! :)

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@michaels said:
    I've already used a number of tools to validate the SPF settings, as well as going through the message header and finding that Microsoft appear to be ignoring it! :)

Okay, I see, I should have paid more attention. Indeed, then it seems be an O365 issue.