Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest place to get a lot of CPU for nonstop video encoding (dedicated server)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest place to get a lot of CPU for nonstop video encoding (dedicated server)

I've read some older threads, but so far the best I've found is:

Scaleway cloud servers, 8 supposedly dedicated Xeon D-1531 cores for $24/month. I read another discussion on let indicating they aren't really dedicated? But if they wanna claim they are they can't complain when I run them 100% 24/7 ye?

Nocix 2x Xeon E5-2670 for $70/month

Is there anything else out there? I may need to encode ~5tb/video per month

Comments

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

That nocix deal has a lot of cpu power

I don't know if you can do better than that

• What's the budget. Have you considered Colo?

• williewillie Member

I'd probably go for a Hetzner i7-3770 at $27 a month or so ex VAT, or a little more for an E3-1245v2. Depending on codecs etc. 5TB is probably doable. Otherwise look into a GPU machine. Hetzner has one of those too, though more expensive, and Dedispec also has some.

The D-1531 has 6 cores (12 threads) and about the same total speed as the 4-core i7-3770 which runs at faster clock. So the 8 "core" scaleway offer is really about 3 i7 cores, and I don't think they're actually dedicated unless you get the 120GB, 12 "core" instance ($$$$).

Thanked by 1TotallyAFefe
  • Time4vps is fairly cheap but not full dedicated either. But you get quite a lot of dedicated resources for a low price

• supicksupick Member

I'm using Hetzner i7-3770, it matches your requirement perfectly

• levi757levi757 Member

@SSDBlaze said:
    That nocix deal has a lot of cpu power

I don't know if you can do better than that

Yeah I'm honestly really happy with what I've found, just figured I would throw it out there on the off chance there's something I missed or to save others time

• levi757levi757 Member

@GenjiSwitchPls said:
    What's the budget. Have you considered Colo?

I have actually, but I'm not sure if I'm that committed to the project I'm working on haha. Maybe down the road

• levi757levi757 Member

@willie said:
    I'd probably go for a Hetzner i7-3770 at $27 a month or so ex VAT, or a little more for an E3-1245v2. Depending on codecs etc. 5TB is probably doable. Otherwise look into a GPU machine. Hetzner has one of those too, though more expensive, and Dedispec also has some.

The D-1531 has 6 cores (12 threads) and about the same total speed as the 4-core i7-3770 which runs at faster clock. So the 8 "core" scaleway offer is really about 3 i7 cores, and I don't think they're actually dedicated unless you get the 120GB, 12 "core" instance ($$$$).

Thanks for the breakdown on that, I'll look more into hetzner

• msg7086msg7086 Member

Or get yourself some X5650 and a fast Internet?

• williewillie Member
    edited May 2017

nocix.net has i7-3770 for 7 cents an hour so you could try one for a while to test its conversion speed.

• levi757levi757 Member

@msg7086 said:
    Or get yourself some X5650 and a fast Internet?

It's crazy how cheap you could put together something for with parts from ebay, sadly I have comcast 1tb data cap not google fiber

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

Dem slices from @francisco are tasty, no?

But, you need a dedi for transcode, as the hardware acceleration is much needed.

• williewillie Member

pbgben said:

Dem slices from @francisco are tasty, no?

They are great as small VM's, but not for this level of CPU slamming. You really want dedis for this.

• levi757levi757 Member

@willie said:
    nocix.net has i7-3770 for 7 cents an hour so you could try one for a while to test its conversion speed.

That's awesome, I didn't see that earlier

Looks like another +1 for the i7

• saf31saf31 Member

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

i7 Game from OVH is a good choice, or a hetzner server bidding if there is one

• kobykoby Member

You can encode as much as you want at Scaleway, burn the cpu, I have tested, they say nothing, you can also seed torrents, they never complain.

• kobykoby Member

But aren't very fast though.

• kobykoby Member

How does Nocix "7 cents per hour" works, should you pay at the start, or they take money from card every x hours/days/weeks?

• Just wondering, what would you be using to encode - it may work out cheaper to use a render farm

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited May 2017

Go big or go home: https://support.heymman.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=159

4 x E7-4870 (40 cores / 80 threads) | 512 GB RAM | 2TB SSD | Unmetered 1Gbps | $300 p/m

Thanked by 1DigitalJosee
  • theyetitheyeti Member

a hetzner with an e3 or i7 is perfect for this and very cheap

• drdrakedrdrake Member

@JustRefleX said:
    Time4vps

@JustRefleX said:
    dedicated resources

• levi757levi757 Member

@koby said:
    You can encode as much as you want at Scaleway, burn the cpu, I have tested, they say nothing, you can also seed torrents, they never complain.

This is good to know, makes them by far the cheapest. $24/month for 8 D-1531 cores isn't gonna be beat by anyone else. IDK how they can afford to offer it for so cheap

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited May 2017

levi757 said: $24/month for 8 D-1531 cores

It is a 6-core CPU though and you can't dualsocket them according to https://ark.intel.com/products/91203/Intel-Xeon-Processor-D-1531-9M-Cache-2_20-GHz

I have my doubts on how dedicated these are really.

• williewillie Member

levi757 said: 24/month for 8 D-1531

That's 8 threads and they're not dedicated. It's a 6 core cpu with 12 threads so you're sharing it. That said, there might not be many users.

That 4x e7-4870 is a beefy machine with a ton of ram, but in raw cpu it's probably about 3x the speed of an E3 and costs 10x as much, so for something as low memory and easily parallelizeable as transcoding, you're better off getting several E3's and spreading the workload across them.

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • levi757levi757 Member

@willie said:

levi757 said: 24/month for 8 D-1531

That's 8 threads and they're not dedicated. It's a 6 core cpu with 12 threads so you're sharing it. That said, there might not be many users.

That 4x e7-4870 is a beefy machine with a ton of ram, but in raw cpu it's probably about 3x the speed of an E3 and costs 10x as much, so for something as low memory and easily parallelizeable as transcoding, you're better off getting several E3's and spreading the workload across them.

Scaleway claims that the resources are dedicated though, do you think they aren't?

• williewillie Member

Are you talking about the C2L? That's a genuine, dedicated, 8 core machine for 24/month, but it's an Atom C2750, not a D-1531. It's maybe 40% of the total speed of a D-1531.

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited May 2017

i7-4790k 16GB of RAM and "120GB" SSD for $49.99 USD at SoYouStart in France and North America, https://www.soyoustart.com/us/game-servers/ limited time offer, I can highly recommend from my personal experience.

I have "120GB" in quotes as I bought one that was supposed to be a 120gb ssd but got a 240gb ssd instead, no complaints there at all, you may get lucky and get a bigger than 120gb ssd as well